Please help. Problems after K&N installation - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Please help. Problems after K&N installation

Hello!
Today I have installed my K&N Aircleaner on my 2006 6.1 SRT8 but something must have gone terribly wrong.

The installation itself was not that hard, but for some reason when I wanted to do the first test, I encountered some problems:

- engine-signal-light on the dashboard is on
- engine will not go over 4000 RPM and keeps stuttering
- Even with a cold engine the cooling-fan is running at full speed.

What have I done wrong?
The only observation I have to make is about the air-intake-temperature sensor. It was very hard to take it out of the original air-tube, so I had to use some force. Might it be broken? No visible damage on the sensor, but maybe by twisting it out of its original place, perhaps it got damaged internally.

Anybody can give me any advice? Is there anything else that I could have overseen?

Thanks for you time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributing Member

If its throwing a service light, read it with a diablo or go to a local autoparts store and have them read it for you, once you know the code, it will be easier to diagnose

The "Silver Bullet" ---- 2006 Jeep SRT8 - Gone but definitely not forgotten
Old 12-12-2012, 03:42 PM

Thanks for your reply, but I am living in the middle of nowhere in Brazil. Will be hard to find anybody with this equipment and the next Jeep-Dealer is pretty far away.
The Following User Says Thank You to SRT8-Brazil For This Useful Post:
hotrodcalvert (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Well if you dont have a local autoparts store that has an OBD-II scanner, then yes unfortunately, a trip to the dealership may be required, but they shouldnt charge you for just a code read..............the part about you not being able to go over 4K rpm, is that while driving or in park?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:15 PM

It was in parking. I didn't have the courage yet to drive. Actually I cannot drive it right now because the car is undergoing some cosmetical work on the painting and any dirt I would pick on the road would do bad to this work. This will take 2 more days so If somebody could for example confirm that the sensor is the cause of the problems I could at least organize spareparts for the time being.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Start by asking yourself what did I change? Usually human error some where.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Major Contributing Member

Your engine wont rev above 4k in park.

Did you touch the sesnor at all with bare hands ? - was it dirty at all ?

Try disconnecting your Neg. battery teminal, pump your brakes 4-5 times then reconnect and try to start. If you get another CEL you likely have a bad sensor.

was this a cold air intake, ram intake .. something else ?

also, did it come with an extension for the sensor ? - other members have had issues in the wires themselves. Just make sure its plugged all the way in the socket, has clean terminal, and clean sesnor tip ( electrical cleaner works wonders )
08' Sierra Denali - 6" BDF Lift

Last edited by AROD; 12-12-2012 at 04:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AROD For This Useful Post:
Tim H Calgary (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM

@ bushmaster: I went over this like three times and the only thing I came up with was the sensor.

@Arod: I will try this tomorrow. I think that I have touched the sensor with the bare hands because when It didn't want to get out, I was reaching with my hand into the tube to find out how it might be stuck.

What I have installed is a cold air intake. No rewiring. All "plug and play".

I have already doublechecked the conectors but I will have a closer look at the censor-tip. It looks just a little bit "dusty".
If I don't have electric cleaner here, is alcohol alowed?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Major Contributing Member

The code may also be due to the fact that your ECU hasn’t yet "learned" that you have a new intake system. If you give it time it will self learn ( to a point ) and hopefully eliminate the code on its own - this usually requires driving around for a day or so.

keep in mind, its best to get a tune whether its custom, or a canned OTS ( off the shelf ) tune that comes with a handheld device such as a predator, trinity etc.

If you plan on keeping the jeep i would suggest picking up a used pred. there are LOTS for sale on here. you can load a CAI tune as well as pull any trouble codes down the road. Its a decent investment for piece of mind. After all, a CEL could be as little as a loose gas cap

EDIT:
*** The reason a tune is a good idea is because when you add a more efficient intake you cause more air flow. Meaning you also need more fuel to compensate** The computer may adjust on its own, but it's hard to be certain.

Last edited by AROD; 12-12-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Yeah like Arod said, a handheld tuner is your best friend. The whole thing about not being able to rev over 4K while sitting still and in park is prolly your factory rev limiter kicking in, so I wouldnt worry about that, you can try unhooking your battery for a few min and hooking it back up to see if that will clear your light, but prolly like he said, unless the sensor was damaged, your truck isnt used to the new abundance of air coming into the intake and hasnt learned how to compensate for it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.