Fox Body Mustang Brake Question - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > Other Vehicle Discussion > Other Vehicle Makes & Models Discussion

Other Vehicle Makes & Models Discussion This section is for the discussion of all non Chrysler Corporation vehicle makes and models.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM

Fox Body Mustang Brake Question

I know I have read many of you were/are mustang enthusiests as well. I have an 89 mustang gt that i swapped the rear from drum to disc brakes. The rear brakes seem to constantly be dragging. I have googled to try and find if anyone else had the same issue. I bought new booster new master cylinder and the brakes seem to work fine. except they constantly drag on the rear. I have and adjustable proportioning valve in place. I believe that i need a residual pressure valve to stop this? anyone have any knowledge on this issue? I have asked on the mustang forum but the people/site sponsors dont give out knowledge for the do it yourself guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

What year/model mustang did you get the rear disc setup from? I have a '93 Cobra that already came with disc brakes, but once it hit 10's in the 1/4 I put '03 brakes on all four corners, and for some reason they were dragging in the rear as well. I had to remove the power brake pump and put a manual one in and it unlocked the rears.
The Following User Says Thank You to BurgundySRT For This Useful Post:
2012srt (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 05:32 AM

I believe they are the 93 cobra rear disc.. But its been 3 years since i purchased everything and a year and a half since I installed. I don't drive it much and they don't drag to badly but Im thinking of putting a blower on it and want to fix all of the small issues first
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
When you converted the rears to disc, did you change out the master cylinder to a 93 cobra unit? The stock master cylinder is setup for drum rears, and has a smaller overall bore, as well as a smaller outlet to the rear brakes.

93 Cobra:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...aster-Cylinder

Standard master cylinder:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...er-For-23L-50L
Old 11-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Yes cobra brake booster and master cylinder
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

That's odd man that you have any dragging on a stock '93 setup. Like I said I had to switch to a manual pump, but that was because I put on parts that were 2 generations later. Stangslayer makes the valid point, but if you have all that then it doesn't make sense besides maybe the system wasn't bled enough, or the calipers are just shot and not opening up all the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.