Squires Turbo Systems - Page 3 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos/Nitrous

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 AM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFNGAS@TTC View Post
with the amount of procharger guys having issues with belt slippage/belts breaking
I mean you come in here defending STS kits and saying we're bashing them or haven't had any experience and then throw this out. This problem has been corrected and just like any kit that just hits the market you will have issues.. The manufacture will learn, adjust what they need to and help correct the problem with the already issued....
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklaus View Post
I mean you come in here defending STS kits and saying we're bashing them or haven't had any experience and then throw this out. This problem has been corrected and just like any kit that just hits the market you will have issues.. The manufacture will learn, adjust what they need to and help correct the problem with the already issued....
That came off wrong, was using that as an example as sometimes initially maybe theirs something that needs reworked in order to fix an issue. Shouldve proof read and apologize

2009 Brilliant Black-Powertrain: TTC 6262 Kit, Stage 6 2Step, Demon Fuel, Wavetrac & Axles, Full Paramount Driveline, Jet 180* Stat & Lock Cap, Borla S:Appearance: DC Headlights, Tinted Tails , Smoothed Moldings, Murdered, Black Reps, CF Venom Hood, Venom Green Brake Calipers, Eibachs
10's Best Be Coming
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to LAFNGAS@TTC For This Useful Post:
mklaus (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 05:41 AM
DAYUM!!!
Premium Member

Thanked 1,509 Times in 950 Posts
The only 2 kits I have personally seen work is TTC and STG6 kits...
The Following User Says Thank You to 1BAMFR For This Useful Post:
BJB (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Elite Contributing Member

MLB - You need to get seriously specific about what your goals are for the truck. Do want to invest another $20k on top of the turbo purchase to take advantage of the power available to you with turbos? -OR - Do you want to run ~10psi for the life of the vehicle knowing you'll likely need a transmission upgrade in the future but otherwise the truck will run every day with no problems and no additional cost?

We can throw vendors and turbo theory at you all day but without knowing what your goals are, we'll never be able to put you where you need to be. If you have a $6k budget and that includes install... you're looking at STS or a blower. No other options. If you have $20k to spend, that puts you in a completely different ballpark.

I'll just throw this out there...

I don't know where you live, but -

$9k - Single Turbo - Stage6 requires your vehicle in Florida for x amount of time to complete your truck. You will be very pleased with the results like everyone has been. Custom kit for your truck, built to your liking and tuned by one of the best. Customer support (as seen on this forum) appears to be top notch. All the power you'll ever want or need.

$12k - Twin Turbo - TTC was making kits for the truck to ship out. I know of 3 (there are probably more) that have shipped to customers, and 2 of them installed it themselves. I can tell you this, the install is more involved than what some people are comfortable with, but not so much that a local performance shop wouldn't be able to handle in a couple days. TTC will take your vehicle for x amount of time and build your kit on your truck to your liking in NYC. You will be very pleased with the results like everyone on here has been, their customer support is great (as also documented on this site) and you'll be tuned by one of the best there as well. Your truck will be given back to you making all of the power it can on the parts you have.

$??k - King Motorsports - Not leaving Brad off the list because I'm a huge fan of his work but I'm not sure if they are a supporting vendor or not. I don't know the cost because none of it has been made public on the site. Plenty of guys on here are running King builds, feel free to ask around to the guys who own the trucks, and not the people who think they know everything about the trucks.

Any one of the vendors on this site will build you whatever you want, for the right money. Those prices above are their bottom dollar, you won't get them any cheaper (without some negotiating)... but you'll end up with a quality product and nobody on here will bash you for it.

Now, STS on the other hand... you give them $6k (or so I've heard) and they will send you everything you need in a box to your door. You could have it installed in a day with basic hand tools and basic mechanical knowledge. Tons of local shops install these things all the time. Remote mounting can be problematic due to the placement of the air filter, but that depends on where and when you drive and if you're cautious. You can always relocate the filter if need be. There is tons of flexibility in a remote mount setup. This kit will make enough power to break parts but certainly not enough to break records. Some might say there are more things that could go wrong with a remote mount... the only thing different is the oil pump, and they don't fail all that often anymore and have built in alarms in the event that they do fail. You're cats remain intact and you'll pass inspection anywhere, anytime. Your customer service is now in the hands of an international company that makes kits for dozens of vehicles. I don't know if that is good or bad because I haven't dealt with anyone beyond the sales dept. The tune they send you is probably ok. I'd prefer setting some money aside for a tune from one of the guys on here. Get a complete list of parts from STS to make sure they have fuel and spark plugs addressed... do the same for our vendors here.

Last edited by Jack_Toepfer; 11-25-2012 at 07:57 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack_Toepfer For This Useful Post:
AROD (11-26-2012), Marylandm3 (11-25-2012), Muellge  (11-25-2012), roadboy (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Live For Today!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
MLB - You need to get seriously specific about what your goals are for the truck. Do want to invest another $20k on top of the turbo purchase to take advantage of the power available to you with turbos? -OR - Do you want to run ~10psi for the life of the vehicle knowing you'll likely need a transmission upgrade in the future but otherwise the truck will run every day with no problems and no additional cost?

We can throw vendors and turbo theory at you all day but without knowing what your goals are, we'll never be able to put you where you need to be. If you have a $6k budget and that includes install... you're looking at STS or a blower. No other options. If you have $20k to spend, that puts you in a completely different ballpark.

I'll just throw this out there...

I don't know where you live, but -

$9k - Single Turbo - Stage6 requires your vehicle in Florida for x amount of time to complete your truck. You will be very pleased with the results like everyone has been. Custom kit for your truck, built to your liking and tuned by one of the best. Customer support (as seen on this forum) appears to be top notch. All the power you'll ever want or need.

$12k - Twin Turbo - TTC was making kits for the truck to ship out. I know of 3 (there are probably more) that have shipped to customers, and 2 of them installed it themselves. I can tell you this, the install is more involved than what some people are comfortable with, but not so much that a local performance shop wouldn't be able to handle in a couple days. TTC will take your vehicle for x amount of time and build your kit on your truck to your liking in NYC. You will be very pleased with the results like everyone on here has been, their customer support is great (as also documented on this site) and you'll be tuned by one of the best there as well. Your truck will be given back to you making all of the power it can on the parts you have.

$??k - King Motorsports - Not leaving Brad off the list because I'm a huge fan of his work but I'm not sure if they are a supporting vendor or not. I don't know the cost because none of it has been made public on the site. Plenty of guys on here are running King builds, feel free to ask around to the guys who own the trucks, and not the people who think they know everything about the trucks.

Any one of the vendors on this site will build you whatever you want, for the right money. Those prices above are their bottom dollar, you won't get them any cheaper (without some negotiating)... but you'll end up with a quality product and nobody on here will bash you for it.

Now, STS on the other hand... you give them $6k (or so I've heard) and they will send you everything you need in a box to your door. You could have it installed in a day with basic hand tools and basic mechanical knowledge. Tons of local shops install these things all the time. Remote mounting can be problematic due to the placement of the air filter, but that depends on where and when you drive and if you're cautious. You can always relocate the filter if need be. There is tons of flexibility in a remote mount setup. This kit will make enough power to break parts but certainly not enough to break records. Some might say there are more things that could go wrong with a remote mount... the only thing different is the oil pump, and they don't fail all that often anymore and have built in alarms in the event that they do fail. You're cats remain intact and you'll pass inspection anywhere, anytime. Your customer service is now in the hands of an international company that makes kits for dozens of vehicles. I don't know if that is good or bad because I haven't dealt with anyone beyond the sales dept. The tune they send you is probably ok. I'd prefer setting some money aside for a tune from one of the guys on here. Get a complete list of parts from STS to make sure they have fuel and spark plugs addressed... do the same for our vendors here.
Pretty much sums it up. Stage6 also does a Twin Kit. Just depends on what you want. Their single provides more than enough power though.

Jerseyboy Tuning

Paramount Performance

The First STAGE6 Twin Turbo Jeep And First Jeep With TWINS UP FRONT!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:02 AM
RIP Chuck G.
Lifetime Premium Member

I think the OP is OVerwhelmed. Slap on a supercharger and call it a day.
You can always unbolt it and resell it if you decide you want more.
If I had a choice between an STS kit and a supercharger I would chose the suercharger.
190 Blydenburg rd
Islandia, NY 11749
Follow Facebook Christian Hull
Instagram chrishull666

2006 Jeep under construction.........

Last edited by Twin Turbo Creations; 12-02-2012 at 08:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twin Turbo Creations For This Useful Post:
mklaus (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8_Paratrooper View Post
Pretty much sums it up. Stage6 also does a Twin Kit. Just depends on what you want. Their single provides more than enough power though.
I was just giving him intro pricing as advertised on the site. I haven't seen the TT prices posted by anyone other than TTC.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yup. A lot of info
Having run pretty much the whole gamut at this point. I say run a blower, make your 525whp and be done with it

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

9.67@143.2

Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
Yup. A lot of info
Having run pretty much the whole gamut at this point. I say run a blower, make your 525whp and be done with it
Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm with you on this. I think a procharger D-1 full kit will be more than enough for the OP. Dont get me wrong Stage 6 does nothing but the best work, but it seems it may be more than what the OP is looking for.

As others have mentioned don't forget to add the cost of a transmission to that at some point and possibly a fuel hat upgrade if needed. I have not seen any belt slipping in my rig or tearing of any belts for that matter. Making a universal kit has its challenges.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Supporting Vendor
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,146 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFNGAS@TTC View Post
i spent the $ on a quality product that was going to do what my long term goals were and i felt a single wouldnt give me the same street manners as a twin setup. trying to compare a twin to single on merely price point is ridiculous and "cool" factor is beside the point. never have had an issue with any of the support needed between TTC/Stage 6/STS.

kits come ceramic coated for all pipes/intercooled/fueling and everything is there.

for someone wanting to make 550whp and drive around and have a turbo in lieu of the supercharger applications, the STS does what it needs to do for a decent price. with the amount of procharger guys having issues with belt slippage/belts breaking theres one less thing to worry about. smoking turbo issues generally can be taken care of using a little vac manifold resembling piece of 1" tube to help collect oil from the drain side of the turbo

wondering how the power curve of the singles looks if the twin setup on same boost levels/same displacement were overlapped

im not trying to argue, just dont see how theyre instantly garbage when people havent personally had them and thats the question i asked.

if anyone is kicking around alberta and is curious on drivability on an remote setup, we have our customers genesis in the shop for a clutch and other work done for the winter months and be more than happy to show you
Our single 76's spool faster. Throw up a dyno sheet and I'll show ya.

This is George's stock 6.1L with cam, springs, push rods, and 90mm TB only.

My stock bottom end pull with bolt ons.......

Trying to find more.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.