Squires Turbo Systems - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos/Nitrous

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Major Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFNGAS@TTC View Post
gonna ask here, so everyone who posted, who has FIRST HAND experience with the STS kit?

i personally have a TTC kit and couldnt be happier, Stage 6 also hands down builds a good quality kit and would never say different.

we've done in house 4 vettes, many gmc suvs/trucks, F150 limited (business partners), and built a remote style on a 1st design 3.8 V6 hyundai genesis coupe (6psi made 430whp, great powerband and retarded fun to drive)

aside from juans (F150 limited) the kits were on, performed flawlessly, made big power and were overall quality pieces that did exactly what they stated.

juans F150 problem was that it wasnt fully released yet and pushed for them to send us the kit and just the wiring harness had some quirks however when they sent the new harness things were 100% as they shouldve been.

as stated the first jeep in the 9's was a remote style setup and the remote style does work. the TTC kits might as well be considered remote cause with where the turbo's sit they have the same amount of piping distance between them and theyre close to running high 8's (PeterSRT8)
I know a guy with a GTO that has a STS kit and hates it.

A shop local to me installed 2 STS kits on Jeep's a few years back, when I was having my Vortech installed they told me the kits were the biggest POS they have ever installed. Said both Jeep had nothing but issues.

There are so many options in the same price range that have great reviews, i.e. Vortech, Procharger, etc.

My question for you is, since you have had so many wonderful experiences with the STS kits, why did you go with a TTC kit? Or did you just feel like spending an extra $7,000+
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosting View Post
I know a guy with a GTO that has a STS kit and hates it.

A shop local to me installed 2 STS kits on Jeep's a few years back, when I was having my Vortech installed they told me the kits were the biggest POS they have ever installed. Said both Jeep had nothing but issues.

There are so many options in the same price range that have great reviews, i.e. Vortech, Procharger, etc.

My question for you is, since you have had so many wonderful experiences with the STS kits, why did you go with a TTC kit? Or did you just feel like spending an extra $7,000+
extra $7,000??

bought the kit because STS only makes a single turbo setup and felt that a single wouldnt get me where i wanted to be for driveability/street manners and then making 1200whp range for power.

also talked with Chris for a long time and after talking it was also going to help broaden his client base by having a kit outside of his local area.

not shooting down other shops as i dont have any personal interaction with them however you can have the best of the best parts thrown at anything and in the end it all depends who puts it on/installs it.

2009 Brilliant Black-Powertrain: TTC 6262 Kit, Stage 6 2Step, Demon Fuel, Wavetrac & Axles, Full Paramount Driveline, Jet 180* Stat & Lock Cap, Borla S:Appearance: DC Headlights, Tinted Tails , Smoothed Moldings, Murdered, Black Reps, CF Venom Hood, Venom Green Brake Calipers, Eibachs
10's Best Be Coming
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 PM
RIP Chuck G.
Lifetime Premium Member

My advise is, if you make $1.00, don't spend $3.50 like I did.
Stay within ur means. I only know the work I have seen and they have both been mentioned
here.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFNGAS@TTC View Post
extra $7,000??

bought the kit because STS only makes a single turbo setup and felt that a single wouldnt get me where i wanted to be for driveability/street manners and then making 1200whp range for power.

also talked with Chris for a long time and after talking it was also going to help broaden his client base by having a kit outside of his local area.

not shooting down other shops as i dont have any personal interaction with them however you can have the best of the best parts thrown at anything and in the end it all depends who puts it on/installs it.
Maybe my math is off a bit. I believe the STS kit ran a little over $6k last time I checked (it's been a long while). My point is you spent the extra cash for a superior product - quality parts, customer support, workmanship, design, etc. Sure the STS kit will spool and your engine will see boost but IMO it should be at the bottom of the list...even in its own price range.

BTW: As your know, there are plenty of single turbos running similar HP as the twins. Twins is much cooler though IMO.

Last edited by boosting; 11-24-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 PM

i spent the $ on a quality product that was going to do what my long term goals were and i felt a single wouldnt give me the same street manners as a twin setup. trying to compare a twin to single on merely price point is ridiculous and "cool" factor is beside the point. never have had an issue with any of the support needed between TTC/Stage 6/STS.

kits come ceramic coated for all pipes/intercooled/fueling and everything is there.

for someone wanting to make 550whp and drive around and have a turbo in lieu of the supercharger applications, the STS does what it needs to do for a decent price. with the amount of procharger guys having issues with belt slippage/belts breaking theres one less thing to worry about. smoking turbo issues generally can be taken care of using a little vac manifold resembling piece of 1" tube to help collect oil from the drain side of the turbo

wondering how the power curve of the singles looks if the twin setup on same boost levels/same displacement were overlapped

im not trying to argue, just dont see how theyre instantly garbage when people havent personally had them and thats the question i asked.

if anyone is kicking around alberta and is curious on drivability on an remote setup, we have our customers genesis in the shop for a clutch and other work done for the winter months and be more than happy to show you
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Thanks lafngas, you make very valid points. You get what you pay for, and $6k to STS isn't going to be the same as $9k to Stage6 or $12k to TTC. But that doesn't mean you don't get $6k worth of turbo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack_Toepfer For This Useful Post:
Muellge  (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributing Member

I had over 18k miles on my sts gto kit. I had no major issues with it and made great power. I went with a Maggie for the jeep because I wanted instant torque for my daily driver. Most people seem to think cause one person has a problem with a kit it's junk. A previous post mentions junk turbos, so Garett is junk. Ok I'll keep that in mind.
roadboy (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance575 View Post
I had over 18k miles on my sts gto kit. I had no major issues with it and made great power. I went with a Maggie for the jeep because I wanted instant torque for my daily driver. Most people seem to think cause one person has a problem with a kit it's junk. A previous post mentions junk turbos, so Garett is junk. Ok I'll keep that in mind.
for the jeep along with some other kits they use proprietary Precision turbos so that means that STS/Stage 6/TTC are all powered by junk
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Elite Contributing Member

The difference is that the Stage 6 and TTC setups are engineered specifically for the Jeep SRT. It's not a mass produced "kit" that is made for 1000's of cars. You get what you pay for!

Chris

Tuned by JerseyBoy and Terrorizing the Streets!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown-WK View Post
The difference is that the Stage 6 and TTC setups are engineered specifically for the Jeep SRT. It's not a mass produced "kit" that is made for 1000's of cars. You get what you pay for!
Chris
Not really following what you're getting at? Sounds like you're saying a STS kit is made for 1000's of cars, so if that's the case you don't need a vehicle specific kit. All turbo setups are "engineered" more or less cause they end up being application specific, in the end its all the same parts "turbo/wastegate/bov/piping" what's less engineered per manufacturer? Mass produced = ability to do volume of sales which in turn makes $ and keeps the doors open and economies strive on.

I'm not saying one manufacturers kit is better than anothers, in the end it all depends on a persons budget/goals and their preference on a supercharger vs turbo

Last edited by LAFNGA5; 11-25-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.