I just got my stereo stolen. Need advice on alarm upgrades and new insurance carrier - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 SRT8 General Discussion

WK1 SRT8 General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I just got my stereo stolen. Need advice on alarm upgrades and new insurance carrier

So this Sat. I went down to my parking ****** to jump in my GC SRT8 to find out I had my custom kick panels and amp racks ripped apart and my Subs, Amps, EQ and Capacitor all got stolen. I feel like I should have known better then to rely on our factory alarm but I will honestly sleep through a grenade being thrown at the foot of my bed so my truck alarm 3 stories below isn't going to phase me. Any recommendations on how to upgrade our alarm or possible alternatives. I had a Viper smart start on my last SUV and it seemed good except for the auxiliary siren that ran off an internally housed battery. That thing would go off whenever it wanted but could have saved the day in this instance.

The thief I imagine popped my driver side door then the hood and cut my battery cable. The rest was history. Took 2 solobaric L7 12" Kicker subs out of a custom fiberglassed box that was built into 1 side of the cargo area. The other side had an amp rack with a kicker 1500.1 Amp flush mounted with an amp rack. I had a kicker 650.4 under the cargo area tray with a kicker EQ and last 10 farad capacitor in one of those top lil storage bins in the cargo area. Oh yeah and my brand new motorcycle jacket (leather) was a victim of these Dbags

I am also interested in another insurance company since mine apparently sucks. I'm not sure if you can get aftermarket performance parts covered my from the previous owner I have a receipt for $29,500 and stereo receipts that total around $6500. My problem is I can only find companies who max out their aftermarket insurance at around $10,000 I would like to get it all covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 AM

That sucks dude! Sorry to hear about all that mess. Hopefully someone left behind a finger print or something if it gets to that point. In regards to insurance, you'll be very lucky to find a carrier who will insure you for actual cash value for your aftermarket installs. The reason insurance companies put a cap on these types of things is because it creates an attractive nuisance. The more "tricked" out a vehicle is, the more people notice, the more susceptible it is to things happening to it. 10K is actually a lot of coverage; I asked Allstate who much I have and they said 1...and I work for them.

...The fastest 13 second Jeep.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry man. Lots of Dbags out there. First thing you want to do is get on your local Craigslist and maybe even Ebay. Go to your local Pawn shop as well. Thieves can be stupid and desperate at times for cash.

Somebody didn't just break into your Jeep because they thought they "might" find something, they did it because they knew you "had" something. Pumpin your system close to home and around people attracts the wrong attention from both thieves and LEO's.

It sucks either way man and sorry. It puts a bad taste in your mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Unfortunately, if a good thief wants your goods bad enough they will get it with a cheap factory alarm, or a $1,000 alarm. I use to install alarms, and believe me they are not fool proof, a lot of your auto thief's are alarm installers, sorry if I offended anyone but its the truth. A lot of guys will crawl underneath vehicle to cut power, they can peel the window and crawl thru, then get under dash and pull fuses to alarm, there are a lot more ways of going about it. They do make back up sirens that run off its own battery, it helps but again not fool proof. Thats in case they pop the hood to cut wires to siren, this siren will keep wailing away, because it has its own separate power source. Sucks that this happened to you, hope they catch the pricks!

Last edited by Shawn1112; 11-13-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

^^ very true

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Garage
damn that sucks bro! but like said above, start checking out pawn stores, ebay etc. I doubt the thieves took it for THEM. They're tryna make a quick buck and if you're lucky they sold it to someone with cameras.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Post whoring since 2011
Premium Member

Sucks man.. I have had two vehicles broken into including the Jeep. I caught the prick the second time around (me and my building manager) he got a baton over the head and a few solid boots to the ribs while talking to 9-1-1 possibly the most satisfying experience of my life. I have the 1000 viper alarm and because this guy knew what he was doing it made 0 difference.
Procharged D-1 @ 8 psi, SHR trans, Wavetrac rear diff, Converter,PWR Cam, kooks headers, Corsa exhaust, fore innovations hat, cf from black ops and dual projector headlights/Fogs from DC Customs. PWR 393 and ? #'s of boost come spring .
Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Not sure on newer cars.. I have my mustang insured for "stated amount" due to the modifications I have made. I had to get someone to appraise it which was not a big deal for me and insurance was not picky on the appraisal. Might look into that.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2012srt For This Useful Post:
TravisXXL (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012srt View Post
Not sure on newer cars.. I have my mustang insured for "stated amount" due to the modifications I have made. I had to get someone to appraise it which was not a big deal for me and insurance was not picky on the appraisal. Might look into that.
I was going to suggest that. I had my 06 Charger RT insured for $50k due to the mods. I had to get a private appraiser to appraise the car, brought it to my insurance company and no problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn1112 For This Useful Post:
TravisXXL (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
do you mind if I ask what insurance company you used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.