Eibach Rear and Stock Front Springs - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK2 SRT8 Suspension/Driveline Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 PM

I will pull a wheel on saturday and give you guys a step by step.

The eibach instructions literally say to "install springs" but give you no details. Ill upload that as well. Took me 45 minutes each side and that was with me figuring out how to go about the install with the least amount of work. Nothing needs to be fulling removed from the car; just unbolted and unclipped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to sykb47l For This Useful Post:
Mongoose9400 (11-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM

That would be excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykb47l View Post
I will pull a wheel on saturday and give you guys a step by step.

The eibach instructions literally say to "install springs" but give you no details. Ill upload that as well. Took me 45 minutes each side and that was with me figuring out how to go about the install with the least amount of work. Nothing needs to be fulling removed from the car; just unbolted and unclipped.
The pics would be of great help since I wont be doing the install myself, but would like to have full knowledge of the process so the installer doesn't give me a load of BS regarding the time it will take to complete the job!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Please use safety, wear gloves, wear safety glasses, Use at your own risk, I'm not liable.

I cant show you everything because I'd have to get another alignment. Anyone in the San Antonio area that needs help is more than welcome to pay me a visit. I'll install your springs for you and snap a few more pics.

Tools Needed:
Torque Wrench
22MM Socket
22MM Wrench
24MM Socket
24MM Wrench
18MM Socket
18MM Wrench
8MM Socket
3/8" and 1/2" Ratchets
Brake Parts Cleaner
Jack
Jack Stands

Optional (makes life easier):
Interior Panel Clip Removal Tool
Impact Wrench and Air Compressor
WD40 or Spray oil of your choice
2nd Jack
2nd Set of Jack Stands
Two Large Zip Ties

1. Start off my jacking up the rear of the Jeep as high as possible. It helps if you use a jack on each side. Support the Jeep's body on your jack stands, do not support the jeep from the suspension as this will cause unwanted tension. Remove the wheels. Lug nuts are 22MM.

2. Driver side: Remove the caliper using the 18MM Socket and Ratchet and secure it out of the way WITHOUT stretching the brake line. (Optional: use the 2nd set of jack stands and a zip tie to secure the caliper) Support the bottom A Arm with the jack. Just enough to take some tension off, but no where near enough to lift the vehicle.

3. Remove the toe-link (#1) nut and bolt using the 18MM Socket and Wrench. (Optional: Impact)

4. Remove the trailing arm (#2) nut and bolt using the 18MM Socket and Wrench. (Optional: Impact)

5. Remove the clips holding the lines to the toe-link. (Optional: Panel removal tool) Be careful to not damage the lines during the entire process.

6. Place the jack under the A Arm to remove tension from the sock, remove the lower shock mount bolt using the 22MM socket BOLT and 24MM wrench NUT. (Optional: Impact, no pic, the shock is that big yellow thing....)

7. Again: Using the Jack to remove tension from the bolt, remove the lower sway bar end-link nut; 18MM Wrench and 8MM Socket to keep it from spinning. It may help to loosen the upper nut but it does not have to be removed. At this point you can slowly lower the Jack and remove the tension from the suspension. To remove the lower end link from the mount swing the rotor towards the front of the vehicle. Now move it up and out of the way.

8. Make note of how the spring sits in the A Arm. You will install the Eibach spring in the same orientation. Remove the spring by pressing down on the A Arm. Install the Eibach spring in the same way. (Optional: Spray a little WD40 on the upper rubber mount and it will make sliding the spring in easier)

9. Raise A Arm back up and make sure the spring is in the perch in the correct orientation. Support with jack.

10. Hand tight!!!! Install the end-link and nut, lower shock mount nut and bolt, trailing arm nut and bolt, and finally the toe-link nut and bolt. Now using the jack put some tension on the A Arm and torque all the nuts and bolts to factory specs.

11. Reinstall the caliper and torque to factory specs. Clean the rotor with the brake parts cleaner. Install the wheel and lug nuts.

Repeat for the passenger side. Just make note that there is a sensor that was not on the drivers side. It does not interfere with the install but again be careful.

12. Lower the Jeep and torque the wheels to factory specs. Don't be surprised if it still appears high. Put a few miles on it and then have the rear alignment done. All said and done I received 7/8" drop after driving it around. I couldn't be happier as it retains the rake and stock drivability. The only negative is I have some brand new front Eibach springs that I paid for and wont use.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Lowering1.jpg   Jeep Lowering2.jpg   Jeep Lowering3.jpg   Jeep Lowering4.jpg   Jeep Lowering5.jpg  

Last edited by sykb47l; 11-17-2012 at 11:12 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sykb47l For This Useful Post:
12SRT8 (11-17-2012), Bono392 (11-17-2012), Mongoose9400 (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Measurements after settling:

Front:

Rear:

Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Lowering6.jpg   Jeep Lowering7.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to sykb47l For This Useful Post:
Mongoose9400 (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 12:45 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Great write up! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Old 11-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

I went and measured mine Just to check Mind you I have 22'S

This is the back

This is the front

Last edited by KINGMONKEY; 11-17-2012 at 05:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KINGMONKEY For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGMONKEY View Post
I went and measured mine I was curious
What's yours measure at KM

Never mind, pics showed up now

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 11-17-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
What's yours measure at KM

Never mind, pics showed up now

Something is wrong with that Photobucket I had to do it on my Iphone
Old 11-17-2012, 05:41 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

To factor out the wheel difference you both should measure from the center of the wheel to the fender. Curious to see KMs custom setup compared to the eibachs. I'm still holding out for a lower drop spring kit.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
To factor out the wheel difference you both should measure from the center of the wheel to the fender. Curious to see KMs custom setup compared to the eibachs. I'm still holding out for a lower drop spring kit.

16.5" Front and Back from the center,What does the stock measure?

Last edited by KINGMONKEY; 11-17-2012 at 05:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KINGMONKEY For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.