Squeaky Brakes, owned only for 1 week - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Unhappy Squeaky Brakes, owned only for 1 week

Hey guys,

Just got my 2010 Inferno Red Jeep SRT8 last week with 30k miles on it and the brakes are squealing when I come to a stop. I took it for a car wash after about a day and a half of owning it, and after the wash the brakes started squealing... didn't hear any noise until after the wash, but it has been getting worse every day since then. Any ideas or should I take it in to the dealer? I checked the maintenance schedule for 30k miles and it only mentions: "Adjust parking brake on vehicles equipped with four-wheel disc brakes" along with other unrelated maintenance items. But from researching the vehicle history, the car as a whole has been maintained over its life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Premium Reformed Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Brembo brakes are just that darn noisy. However, your pads could need replacing too. Do you know how to check brake pads to see how much life is left on them?

There tons and tons of threads on this forum related to brake squeal, just go to the brake section and have a look. Hell, I replaced my rotors and pads that were almost new with ones that virtually were guaranteed not to squeal and they still do. $650 experiment......
Troy built 2010 Jeep SRT8, Dings Racing forged 392 stroker, boost reference return style fuel system, Mondello heads & manifold, ARH 1 7/8" LT's, Off road midpipe, stock cat back exhaust, ATI 17% OD pulley, Stage 6 2-step, Fluidyne radiator, PP built Nag1, remote transmission cooler, PP Dom. TC., 6,500 PTCM, Wavetrac rear LSD.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:53 PM

My stock brakes were so noisy and squeaky it was actually embarrassing...especially when there were hotties around.

Since changing to R1 rotors and StopTech pads at all four corners, I haven't heard a peep out of 'em.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributing Member

^^^^^ what he said!

I couldn't STAND my brembo's. Had them on for a couple weeks after buying my Jeep and after viewing a couple threads on this forum I quickly forked out the money for a set of R1 drilled/slotted rotors and StopTech pads and haven't heard a squeak yet!

D1 ProCharger & RRV / Corsa Exhaust / SW Headers / PWR Custom Cam / BT Catch Can / 180 T-Stat / Trinity & Toona Tuned / FR Chrome 22's on 265/315 Vreds / Eibach's / R1 Drilled & Slotted Rotors / StopTech Pads / Murdered Quad Retrofit Projectors & Red Demon Eyes / Shorty Antenna / TS Rear Fog Harness /
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Moderator/ Smart Ass
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,537 Times in 1,128 Posts
Garage
Brake harder.
Chad (06 Inferno Red GC SRT8) PWR 6.3L, PWR Apache Heads, Stage6 76 mm Turbo, Stage6 Fuel Pump, SHR NAG1-HTCr, PI 2400 TQ Converter, ATI Flex Plate, BC Coil Overs, Wilwood TC6R calipers, Kooks Headers, Mopar exhaust, MM 85mm T-body, Jerseyboy CMR, Bwoody Sway Links, R1 Concepts F Slot & Dimp, R StopTech Pads, Earls Trans Cooler, TLS Rear Fog Harness
The Following User Says Thank You to cmn1 For This Useful Post:
J&D's SRT's (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 PM

Cadillac Cts-v pads will stop that problem.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Elite Contributing Member

I wasted $200 on pads and then ended up buying DRT slotted and drilled rotors with pads for super cheap and don't regret it one bit.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 PM

Garage
I still have the stocks at 25k, I find the squealing settles down once they're warmed up a bit, but yes, they're pretty loud!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Well thanks for your feedback guys... I'm not a handyman when it comes to projects on cars, so I'd have to take it in and maybe see if I could get them to install the DRT slotted and drilled rotors with pads. I agree, it really doesn't work well when there are hotties around
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKR View Post
My stock brakes were so noisy and squeaky it was actually embarrassing...especially when there were hotties around.

Since changing to R1 rotors and StopTech pads at all four corners, I haven't heard a peep out of 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson33 View Post
^^^^^ what he said!

I couldn't STAND my brembo's. Had them on for a couple weeks after buying my Jeep and after viewing a couple threads on this forum I quickly forked out the money for a set of R1 drilled/slotted rotors and StopTech pads and haven't heard a squeak yet!
^^^ these guys speak the truth! I picked up my new to me Jeep with under 10K miles on the stock rotors and pads and they squealed all day long. Upgraded to R1 rotors and StopTechs and there is zero noise.

2010 Brilliant Black SRT8
Mopar intake | Corsa exhaust | Trinity | MTX-L wideband | Jersey Boy tuned | BT catch can | BT underhood kit | Eibach springs | BWoody swaybar links | Summer: Bridgestone Dueller HP Sport RF 275/315 on OEM wheels | Winter: Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow RF 275 on satin black reps | R1 Premium Slotted/Cross Drilled rotors | Stoptech pads | DC Customs headlights | TS LED taillights | TS painted moldings |

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.