TCM problem perhaps? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributing Member

TCM problem perhaps?

Thought I had given up on this issue, until it decided to rear its ugly face again today............I recently had my ESM module and shifter assembly replaced due to the fact that my truck had been shifting too soon to the next gear and falling on its face with the shifts, which Im not used to, being that I have Johan's tune and it keeps the shifts very firm and hard (which I like)...........dealer ran the codes and that part popped up faulty, so I replaced it to no avail - full cost out of pocket, no warranty................well today, as I was merging onto the interstate, I got caught behind a slow accelerating dumptruck, once the pass lane opened up, i was around 60mph at the time, I didnt punch it, but gave it enough throttle to kick down to pass the truck, and it absolutely WOULD NOT accelerate or increase RPM one bit for approximately 5-10secs, which surprised the hell out of me of course and caught me off guard, it held at the speed and RPM I was at instead, so I completely backed out of the throttle, I was kinda scared to get back into it, but I did and it picked right back up. Took it immediately to the dealer and of course, with my luck, they didnt read one single code. So now that I have replaced the ESM module, and the dealer is reading absolutely no codes, where do I go from here? I spoke with Bill about possible TCM issues and potentially replacing that, but dont wanna replace another part that isnt broken like the dealer screwed me over with that ESM module install. Just a confused and concerned Jeep owner with no idea where to go next.

The "Silver Bullet" ---- 2006 Jeep SRT8 - Gone but definitely not forgotten
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Elite Contributing Member

I'll have to look for the thread, but there was a guy on LXF having the same issue. I don't recall what came of it though. I'll see if I can find it.
Web: sf10caravan.com

2012 300SRT--Mods so far....CMR tune from Toona, tinted taillights, Kooks LTs and high flow cats, soon to be released catback, Mopar lowering springs, HIDs in the driving lights, tinted windows, LMI true CAI, and a bunch of BT bling.
ng.

Powered by PWR Tooned by Johan Blinged by Billet Technologies
The Following User Says Thank You to ekaz For This Useful Post:
hotrodcalvert (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 03:02 PM

OK appreciate it sir, I dont mind fixing the problem, if I could just pinpoint the problem, haha
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Well not much help but sounds like the exact same issue..I'll bump the thread to see if I can generate some activity.
http://www.lxforums.com/board/f71/th...reeway-322054/
Old 11-06-2012, 03:09 PM

Yea it sounds like it, aside from the fact that mine has been falling on its face on the shifts for months now, and Im afraid to keep driving it in fear of tearing up something in the tranny, because when it shifts, its not letting the RPM's rise to the proper point when shifting to the next gear, it shifts too soon, and the RPM's just tank and you can tell the tranny kinda bogs from having to pull up from that low RPM in that gear.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 PM

Just a nuisance more than anything, plus Johan and Harrison both have looked at datalogs and cant see anything wrong, so something aint showing its face, ggrrr
Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Ok I don't have much experience with this but I believe it has to do with the communication between the PCM and the TCM so I would try swapping those out with new/reformatted ones and seeing if that makes a difference. Some time ago, when I first got my Jeep, I floored it on the highway before I knew of the ESM cleaning issue and the Jeep just shut down, which was quite scary. I then learned of the ESM cleaning issue but never cleaned it. A few months ago, I had swapped out my TCM from Bill's one to the Stock one when I went to put in my Backup PCM in. When I drove that day, the vehicle would not let me go past 45 mph no matter how hard I floored it. When I got by the shop, to format my backup PCM, and swap it out with my main PCM, everything went back working fine. Now as a precaution, I have also cleaned my ESM, but what I do know, is that there needs to be clear communication between those three devices as they can cause you lots of problems and even cause you to believe something is wrong with your engine or your transmission etc I also have three different TCM's that I can swap out but none of them have ever given me any issues!

If it's Cheap and Reliable it aint Fast
If it's Cheap and Fast it aint Reliable
If it's Fast and Reliable it aint Cheap

Last edited by SPEEDDEMON; 11-06-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodcalvert View Post
Thought I had given up on this issue, until it decided to rear its ugly face again today............I recently had my ESM module and shifter assembly replaced due to the fact that my truck had been shifting too soon to the next gear and falling on its face with the shifts, which Im not used to, being that I have Johan's tune and it keeps the shifts very firm and hard (which I like)...........dealer ran the codes and that part popped up faulty, so I replaced it to no avail - full cost out of pocket, no warranty................well today, as I was merging onto the interstate, I got caught behind a slow accelerating dumptruck, once the pass lane opened up, i was around 60mph at the time, I didnt punch it, but gave it enough throttle to kick down to pass the truck, and it absolutely WOULD NOT accelerate or increase RPM one bit for approximately 5-10secs, which surprised the hell out of me of course and caught me off guard, it held at the speed and RPM I was at instead, so I completely backed out of the throttle, I was kinda scared to get back into it, but I did and it picked right back up. Took it immediately to the dealer and of course, with my luck, they didnt read one single code. So now that I have replaced the ESM module, and the dealer is reading absolutely no codes, where do I go from here? I spoke with Bill about possible TCM issues and potentially replacing that, but dont wanna replace another part that isnt broken like the dealer screwed me over with that ESM module install. Just a confused and concerned Jeep owner with no idea where to go next.
Have you tried to reset the adaptives on your Rig and is your TCM set to 3.73 Axel Ratio? What TCM are you running stock or MPTCM, or PTCM?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Ive reset the adaptives numerous times, never messed with the ratios, and its still the stock TCM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodcalvert View Post
Ive reset the adaptives numerous times, never messed with the ratios, and its still the stock TCM.
Oh ok..... Try a Mopar TCM and see how it reacts... Maybe a local member can borrow you one or let you try it for a bit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.