What are the gas experts thoughts on the new costco gas? - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Tuning/CMR/Dyno/DataLogging/Gauges

WK1 Tuning/CMR/Dyno/DataLogging/Gauges This section is for all discussions related to hand held tuners, CMR tuning, Dyno tuning, Data Logging & Gauges.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

I only use Shell and Sunoco gas on my rig and Chevron when I can find it.

If it's Cheap and Reliable it aint Fast
If it's Cheap and Fast it aint Reliable
If it's Fast and Reliable it aint Cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 PM

Stick with top tier companies. Saving a little on the others won't pay off in the long run.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 PM

I was using Costco gas for the past couple of months. I would get a check engine light every few days while cruising on the highway. I would reset it by disconnecting the battery since I didn't have my In-tune at the time.

Coincidentally, my last three tankfuls have been from "regular" gas providers, and the CEL has not returned. Coincidence? I don't know, but it is worth considering.

I used to fill up at the London Square Costco, and I don't think I will be returning there.

Last edited by Directfreak; 11-05-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Do yourselves a favor by looking for Ethanol free gas stations.
For the past 2 months I've been using 92oct Ethanol free gasoline. Johan said it's showing less KNK plus I gained better fuel economy. I'm getting 14.5MPG according to EVIC, I was only getting 13.1mpg when I used Shell.
Think about it this way, you are paying $$$ but only getting up to 90% gasoline.
Here is a link to help you locate some E-free gas stations.
http://pure-gas.org/

www.dingsracing.com
I'm gettting frustrated with modding
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 AM

Sounded like a good idea, until I looked them up in my area. Only 2 stations that are "sort of" nearby. But they only carry 90 octane to begin with.

Thanks for the tip though. I will definitely use that "ethanol free" fuel in my lawn mower and generator, as they are not designed to store any kind of ethanol for any length of time.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directfreak View Post
Sounded like a good idea, until I looked them up in my area. Only 2 stations that are "sort of" nearby. But they only carry 90 octane to begin with.

Thanks for the tip though. I will definitely use that "ethanol free" fuel in my lawn mower and generator, as they are not designed to store any kind of ethanol for any length of time.
When was the last time you filled up at Costco? Did you see that sign in my op?

I'm just trying to figure out what changes, if any, they have made.

I'll get by there eventually and talk to the guy I know that works there to see what he knows.

I'm just wondering if they have made an attempt here at improving the quality of there gas or not.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Premium Reformed Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Trick View Post
When was the last time you filled up at Costco? Did you see that sign in my op?

I'm just trying to figure out what changes, if any, they have made.

I'll get by there eventually and talk to the guy I know that works there to see what he knows.

I'm just wondering if they have made an attempt here at improving the quality of there gas or not.
When I was working on boats towing barge loads of gasoline one of our contracts was with ConocoPhillips, the guys at the receiving facility we delivered too (3,000,000 gallons every two days) would tell us when Costco would be selling ALL supreme in their tanks. That's right, all! ConocoPhillips would have so much super on their hands they would sell it to Costco for bargain rates and that's what every single pump in every Costco around Seattle would sell, didn't matter the grade you selected.

Why don't you get some and data log with it? Also monitor your mileage. Between those two things that should tell you everything you need to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Troy built 2010 Jeep SRT8, Dings Racing forged 392 stroker, boost reference return style fuel system, Mondello heads & manifold, ARH 1 7/8" LT's, Off road midpipe, stock cat back exhaust, ATI 17% OD pulley, Stage 6 2-step, Fluidyne radiator, PP built Nag1, remote transmission cooler, PP Dom. TC., 6,500 PTCM, Wavetrac rear LSD.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Directfreak View Post

I use this stuff in my mowers and other small engine powered tools.
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/sef-94.html

I was having problems starting all of my equipment after 3 years of using regular 93 octane fuel. Even my 2-stroke tools were giving me problems, despite the fact that I used Amsoil Saber Professional 2-stroke mix oil that has fuel stabilizer. Eventually the ethanol won, and I had to rebuild or replace the carb on just about every piece of equipment I own.....not cheap.

Now everything starts on the first pull, reguardless of how long its been sitting. Most of the time I don't even need to choke the engine. The idle is much smoother, throttle is quicker, and it smells like race fuel. best of all it has a 2 year storage life.
I've used both the 4 and 2-stroke fuels. Both are excellent.

They used to sell it in 6 packs of quarts for $43, now they sell 8 packs for $63. I have also purchased 5 gallon pails from a local dealer, but they are a PITA to pour into a jug, and I usually end up spilling a little.

Sorry to go off topic OP.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributing Member

I've run Costco gas in my jeep for months. Butt dyno can't tell any difference. No mil lights. No misfires. I have not logged anything though. Hoping to hit qtr drag soon. See what happens.
Wifes Weekend warrior - 2001 Ford F250 Supercab 5.4 gas motor - SLOW ASS f@#k but reliable
Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 AM

We've been using Coscto gas for years, regular and premium grade. I've used it in multiple cars and trucks as well as our 2012 5.7 Summit and our 2012 SRT8 and it has worked out flawlessly. The only gas we've had a problem with is Citgo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.