Cool air for my Hennessy CAI? - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 General Discussion

WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Busy
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,455 Times in 956 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to jps043
I think the idea behind your CAI system is great. I probably would have removed the entire lower grill insert though and made the whole thing air passage similar to the ram air intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM

Re: Ram Air comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps043 View Post
I think the idea behind your CAI system is great. I probably would have removed the entire lower grill insert though and made the whole thing air passage similar to the ram air intake
Yeah, I hear you, but that wouldn't work in this case, as I wasn't interested in relocating the washer fluid reservoir, disturbing all the wiring harness mounts and fabricating a custom duct and grill insert. I also like the fact that the two front vents match on either side with the exception of the intake duct on the right.

This solution is very effective in moving a ton of air up into the area right beneath the intake filter with a fraction of the custom work. I've also mitigated the risk of making this modification look rigged and half assed.

I'm happy with the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Looks great and should serve its purpose well.

I was wondering though why you went the route you did? I like symmetry and now the Jeep just looks a little off to me. Your work looks professional, but maybe instead paint the aluminum black so it blends in?

With the WK1 guys did a similar type mod for the Volant CAI. What I did was just zip tie the tubing to the backside of the grill. It wasn't noticeable unless you really got in there and looked. The yellow circles show the zip ties. Small and black so they blended right in with the grill. I almost wonder if you could of just went that route?

2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 10-08-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Re: Different Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
Looks great and should serve its purpose well.

I was wondering though why you went the route you did? I like symmetry and now the Jeep just looks a little off to me. Your work looks professional, but maybe instead paint the aluminum black so it blends in?

With the WK1 guys did a similar type mod for the Volant CAI. What I did was just zip tie the tubing to the backside of the grill. It wasn't noticeable unless you really got in there and looked. The yellow circles show the zip ties. Small and black so they blended right in with the grill. I almost wonder if you could of just went that route?

Hey Mongoose,

Yep, I considered the idea of simply putting the duct on the back side of the grill. But I liked the idea of having a more finished look to the mod. as far as the silver satin finish on the duct, I agree that eventually I will have it powder coated black. Probably at the same time I have my Borla exhaust tips blacked out (Borla S is still on BO!)
Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbman View Post
Hey Mongoose,

Yep, I considered the idea of simply putting the duct on the back side of the grill. But I liked the idea of having a more finished look to the mod. as far as the silver satin finish on the duct, I agree that eventually I will have it powder coated black. Probably at the same time I have my Borla exhaust tips blacked out (Borla S is still on BO!)
Gotcha. That's cool. It's your Jeep so mod away! It does look good though. Maybe do the other side and add another duct?

Sent from my iPhone 5
Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 AM

No concerns of hydro locking?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickets_A_Plenty View Post
No concerns of hydro locking?

I'd say it's near impossible to hydro lock a filter up in the engine bay, even with a scoop flowing air to it. You'd need to submerge the filter and suck up water. A filter getting splashed and misted won't do anything. The oiled filters help repel water. If you want extra piece of mind, cover the filter with a dry charger.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Yep, What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
I'd say it's near impossible to hydro lock a filter up in the engine bay, even with a scoop flowing air to it. You'd need to submerge the filter and suck up water. A filter getting splashed and misted won't do anything. The oiled filters help repel water. If you want extra piece of mind, cover the filter with a dry charger.

Yeah, I dont think I'll experience the type of water that will cause hydro lock! However, I did go looking for a dry charger for insurance to fit my filter and had no luck.

Anyone know where I can get one???
Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbman View Post
Yeah, I dont think I'll experience the type of water that will cause hydro lock! However, I did go looking for a dry charger for insurance to fit my filter and had no luck.

Anyone know where I can get one???
http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.