Cool air for my Hennessy CAI? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 General Discussion

WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Cool air for my Hennessy CAI?

Alright, I went With the Hennessy CAI for my 2012 SRT8. I notice better throttle response , but not much else.

I wonder if anyone here has considered running a cooling duct from the vent opening on the right side running up to the area right under the filter? I think the car would appreciate the extra cool air as opposed to swallowing all that heated air coming off the engin.

Any thoughts on this idea? It seems like a pretty easy modification to take on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
If i could do something like that in my garage, i would most def try it, but be careful not to mess anything up that couldn't be returned back !
Old 09-29-2012, 06:51 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Another option if you are unaware, there is a removable piece above the driver headlight that the non SRT8 WK2 uses to duct air into the intake box. The part is boxed in red and uses the two push rivets highlighted in yellow to secure it.

2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Interesting!

I was thinking about something similar to the fresh air ducts you see in some race cars these days using some of the same flexible hose you see feeding cool air to disk brakes.

Ill have to take a closer look at that upper section you pointed out, that could be a better location to scoop in cool fresh air. Plus its much closer to the target!

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM

Modification Complete!

Finished the CAI duct project yesterday and I'm just painting the bezel surrounds now. I'll post pics of the install tomorrow.

Really happy with the results,it pushes a ton of cool air directly into the Hennessy filter as well as the engine bay. Also, I must admit the aircraft duct I installed in the front lower vent looks very cool, sort of a functional/industrial style!

I'll also post a link to the parts used in case others want to give this a try. The install took about 2.5 hrs (excluding painting) and cost under 100 bucks!

This is a good solution for those who don't want to go the Bwoody rout which requires the relocation of the washer fluid reservoir in order to get the filter in front of cold air. Instead, this solution brings the cold air to the filter.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:00 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Looking forward to the pics

Sent from my iPhone 5
Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 PM

Pics of CAI Duct Modification

Alright, first things first. Here is a list of the parts used:

From Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co.

(2) 2.5" Alum Flange (Part# 10350-10)
3 feet SCEET-10 Ducting 2 1/2" dia. (Part#05-30610)
(2) hose clamps

You will also need a Dremmel Tool with a sanding wheel to cut a perfect 2.5" hole in the lower right vent (pics should make this clear!)

-A drill
-1/8" drill bit
-(3) 1" 6mmAllen Bolts w/locking nuts and 1/2" washers (these are for sandwich mounting the flange to the lower vent)

Pics:

Last edited by hubbman; 10-07-2012 at 08:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hubbman For This Useful Post:
Bono392 (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Damn cool idea (oooh.. sorry about that ). Any reports from the drive? (eg whislting or other noise, banging around etc - not ure how attached at the top?). Good on you for having a go at something new

PS - Are your duct rings & hood badge painted or wrapped? If painted, no dramas reattaching badge lettering correctly? Cheers!
RHD MY13 Mineral - "Grey Wolf". 22x10.5 Vertinis | 305/35 Vreds | 20% tint front | Smoked tails | De/Rebadged | Borla S-Type | De-kinked zorst | Eibach Rears | Moroso Catchcan | BWoody CAI awaiting fitment).
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 AM

Re. Duct issues

Nope no noise at all! The entire assembly is zip tied in so there is no movement what so ever.

The black hood badge was ordered from just forjeeps.com. I didn't want to screw around with painting such a front and center badge so I bought one from the factory. The vent bezels are painted with the same Black Pearl paint as the rest of the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to hubbman For This Useful Post:
Bono392 (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 AM
Elite Contributing Member

The whole Jeep looks really good...nice idea!
Craig 08 GCSRT8-- Eibach's, BT Catch Can, Custom Whipple Setup, Shorty Antenna, 180tstat, other appearance goodies by BT and carbon fiber accents... Jerseyboy Tuned with a custom wrapped Alcantara steering wheel
12.06 @ 113
SRTBEAST
2013 Modern Street Hemi Shootout Stock Points Champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.