Transfer Case Removal Question - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 SRT8 General Discussion

WK1 SRT8 General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 AM

Transfer Case Removal Question/ brief DIY

I plan on removing my transfer case and replacing all the internals, clutch pack, chain , gears, ect. Ive been running 2wd for around 9 months because the case started to bind up. Do i need to drop the tranny to remove the transfer case? Any points i need to support with a jack while im working on the transfer case? Other than the fluid inside of the case do i need to worry about any other fluid leaking? I've quoted around $800 to $900 in parts to completely rebuild. Any tips or tricks would be helpful.

Thanks -Jason

Last edited by jabdelja; 11-16-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Elite Contributing Member

You don't have to remove the trans to remove the transfer case. I would put a floor jack under the trans to support it. No other fluids to be concerned about, pretty straight forward.
Web: sf10caravan.com

2012 300SRT--Mods so far....CMR tune from Toona, tinted taillights, Kooks LTs and high flow cats, soon to be released catback, Mopar lowering springs, HIDs in the driving lights, tinted windows, LMI true CAI, and a bunch of BT bling.
ng.

Powered by PWR Tooned by Johan Blinged by Billet Technologies
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 AM
One, two, GIT SUM!!
Lifetime Premium Member

its almost light enough to just drop on your chest from the looks of it.. if you can support the splines when you remove it, if youve done alot of wrenching youd be able to get away with that
'09 Jeep GC SRT8 Red Rock,6k hid fogs and high beams with 6 high mod,6k LED Interior,Billet Flat Black Shorty Antenna, Black Rims, Drilled/Slotted R1's w/ StopTechs, Red BT Catch Can, Resonator Delete with Borlas, Johan Tuned, JackHammer Paddle Shifters(first in the world)

'08 Yamaha R6, TwoBrothers Slip On, Fender Eliminator

'71 Volkswagen 1600cc Air Cooled DuneBuggy, now running and kicking ass !
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 AM

The transfer case isn't that heavy, but isn't super light either.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 AM

so I have my jeep up on the ramps and i have 6 of the bolts out of the transfer case where it connects to the transmission. There are 3 on the passenger side of the case and 2 on top that are just about impossible to access with any type of tool. Is there a trick to getting to them or should i just chalk up my loses and take it to a shop?

also could i just slip the transfer case while still installed on the car to replace the clutches??

Last edited by jabdelja; 11-01-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabdelja View Post
so I have my jeep up on the ramps and i have 6 of the bolts out of the transfer case where it connects to the transmission. There are 3 on the passenger side of the case and 2 on top that are just about impossible to access with any type of tool. Is there a trick to getting to them or should i just chalk up my loses and take it to a shop?

also could i just slip the transfer case while still installed on the car to replace the clutches??
A universal or two and a couple extensions should work just fine. They are a paint to get to, but can be taken out.
If you lower the trans a little (assuming you have a jack under it), it'll slant down and should give you a little more room in that area.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 AM

the trans is still being held up my the trans mounts it wont move. There seems to be a bracket holding the exhaust that is directly in the way. Do i need to remove that I have tried all sorts of extensions and everything. My next option will be just splitting the case while still attached and trying to replace the clutches that way
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabdelja View Post
the trans is still being held up my the trans mounts it wont move. There seems to be a bracket holding the exhaust that is directly in the way. Do i need to remove that I have tried all sorts of extensions and everything. My next option will be just splitting the case while still attached and trying to replace the clutches that way
Put a jack with a piece of wood under the trans pan, take the trans mount off, then lower the floor jack a little. The trans should tilt down enough to get in there for those bolts.
The trans mount should be right around where the trans and transfer case meet, it doesn't hold the exhaust at all.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:48 PM

today i was defeated. I attempted to just crack open half of the unit while the other half stayed installed into the transmission. Everything was going great until i hit the bolt that holds the driveshaft coupler thing on. Didnt have any kind of tool that would work. I will regroup buy the proper tool and try again another day to finish the project. If not i have 300 bucks worth of clutch plates.Thanks for the help though.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 PM

Does anyone know what size socket is needed to remove the nut that holds the coupler on the tcase to the drive shaft coming out of the tcase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.