My 3000th Post, AND A FEW PICS... - Page 7 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos/Nitrous

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Premium Member

There's probably some flow wiz that could explain how getting all of the animal welds out of the holes actually helps flow significantly, but I dare not go all hypothetical on how much better air will flow out of the heads by eliminating a 1/4 inch of material from some of the more ample excess welds in the flanges. I'd think the crap is disruptive to whatever flows out of the exhaust port, so in my reality I choose to believe 80 hp and 20% better spooling, whoohoooo!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Major Contributing Member

any chance you can get them extrude honed? ive got a set of stock manifolds i took a peek at and not too sure aside from gasket matching/animal weld removal if theres much more one can do

2009 Brilliant Black-Powertrain: TTC 6262 Kit, Stage 6 2Step, Demon Fuel, Wavetrac & Axles, Full Paramount Driveline, Jet 180* Stat & Lock Cap, Borla S:Appearance: DC Headlights, Tinted Tails , Smoothed Moldings, Murdered, Black Reps, CF Venom Hood, Venom Green Brake Calipers, Eibachs
10's Best Be Coming
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Nj.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

9.67@143.2

Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Premium Member

Other than few specs of slag in primaries, I think it would be overkill. Just passing time and getting rid of the big stuff.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muellge View Post
basket is mostly for cooling the pumps so they don't burn up, still draws from the tank.
I understand it is in the gas tank but still I'm thinking the draw out of it with this build may not give the bowl time to fully refill. But then again u haven't seen it in person. Looks like the return feeds back into it. Guess its a math game about two flows in one flow out.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Premium Member

I should have typed, that it is pulling from the tank and not the basket. If it starts popping pumps I'll know its not cooling and not working. Going to have them set up so the other pumps only come on when the psi calls for it. Calvin and "Hobbs", style, lol....Will still probably have to keep a good 1/4 tank on it. As it is now, they bent the fuel level sender arm enough so that when I have a 1/4 tank left it reads as empty. Tricks the owner into making sure that I dont' run it on fumes.

I know you meant I haven't seen it in person meaning u , as the pics are on my desk!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFNGAS@TTC View Post
any chance you can get them extrude honed? ive got a set of stock manifolds i took a peek at and not too sure aside from gasket matching/animal weld removal if theres much more one can do
Those manifolds are tubular. You really don't want to make them any thinner, especially with a big inch high HP turbo motor that's going to get them really hot and crest alit of pressure in the manifolds. Just removing the weld slag will help flow and spool. How much....who knows but a 1/4 inch reduchtio in cross section is a huge impact on the total flow area.

J
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Premium Member

I agree. not somethng like our intakes with plenty of material and a rough cast surface. These are already very smooth on the inside and not terribly thick. The goal was to get the crap out of the port area. I measured some of the spots, easy 1/8 inch on each side, some 3/16ths, do that on both sides and you've got a good 1/4 or more of opening. That should help the hotside do its thing.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM
RIP Chuck G.
Lifetime Premium Member

I always go back to Peters setup.

Arrington iron 426
Stock intake untouched
85mm Arrington throttle body
Stock untouched manifolds
Made 1191 HP and over 1000 torque at 22 psi.

Power is not the issue cause he can't run at Max(comfortable) power anyway
due to other limitations.

That being said, I believe you will make considerably more power per pound
with the bigger cubes. Looking forward to seeing you use the box with the routed edges
for more than a bench
190 Blydenburg rd
Islandia, NY 11749
Follow Facebook Christian Hull
Instagram chrishull666

2006 Jeep under construction.........
Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muellge View Post
I should have typed, that it is pulling from the tank and not the basket. If it starts popping pumps I'll know its not cooling and not working. Going to have them set up so the other pumps only come on when the psi calls for it. Calvin and "Hobbs", style, lol....Will still probably have to keep a good 1/4 tank on it. As it is now, they bent the fuel level sender arm enough so that when I have a 1/4 tank left it reads as empty. Tricks the owner into making sure that I dont' run it on fumes.

I know you meant I haven't seen it in person meaning u , as the pics are on my desk!
Oooops lol yea I* not u lol. Ah I gotcha about where it pulls from, sounds solid. I think many stock vehicles use boost triggered pumps, sounds like a good way to go. You plan on running 2 constantly and one boost triggered? May not hurt to have two going all the time since fuel pumps are rated for some ungodly amount of run time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.