New R1s Drilled/Slotted/Cryo'd w/ Stoptech - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Brake Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:51 AM

New R1s Drilled/Slotted/Cryo'd w/ Stoptech

My new pads and R1 rotors (all 4 corners) should be here in a day or two. You can see what I got from the title of the thread. The fronts had a heinous squeal, and constant dragging sound, almost like when you hang a pad or a brake caliper piston gets "sticky" (both things happened as separate incidents on an old truck of mine). I notice it on my 750 mile journey home from Detroit to VA a few weeks back. So, I figured now would be a good time to order the full setup.

And yes, I know, the drilled rotors aren't really necessary on our trucks unless...blah...blah....roadrace..blah...blah.

They just look sweet as hell.

<obvious> I did get the cryo'd rotors. Kind of overkill/unnecessary for my use, but whatever, it sounds cool if I ever put a mods list in my sig. I figure it wasn't too much more as I was already spending the cash....Thanks to Steve for the help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Major Contributing Member

I did the r1's drilled slotted with stop tech on all 4 corners last week. I used the disc brake quiet spray on the back of the pads as an extra precaution against the squeal. Bedded them in real well and they are great. You wont be disappointed!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Major Contributing Member

I can't wait for mine! Especially with my new fancy powder coated wheels. Excessive brake dust is just no longer acceptable.

2007 Silver

PERFORMANCE: It's NA. It's Fun. It's Loud as hell

EXTERIOR: Beautiful inside and out.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 PM

My parts arrived today. They will be installed tomorrow.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Mission Accomplished. Squealing brakes are a thing of the past, and the wheel well looks good. Unfortunately, my installer used Brake cleaner on the front calipers and removed some clearcoat on the calipers. I will be having a discussion on Monday with them.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about the clear coat! But i'm glad your liking your new set up.
All work done at KING MOTORSPORTS

RIP RoKDoG

My Jeep... http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=62004
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM

Thanks. Yeah, the clearcoat thing sucks. The brake fluid must have dripped on the front calipers when they flushed it. It isn't too bad, but I definitely notice it, and it's worse on the passenger side than the driver's side. I don't know how the conversation is going to go on Monday. They are not the dealer, or a performance shop, so I am not sure how they will respond. The crappy thing is they are a great auto shop and I use them for all my other vehicles, so I want to handle this delicately.

Do you think I can touch up the clearcoat and paint if I am going back with the same red caliper color without it look to crappy?

I will be bedding the brakes here shortly tonight on my favorite stretch of road for speeding.

Last edited by MadeInDetroit; 09-14-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Hey... Detroit... where ya' @?
Where'd you go?
Hit me up sometime. We're going to Hertford on Friday.

704-280-1528

And to answer your question, unfortunately, I don't think paint/clearcoat will solve the problem. That stuff is baked on.
First build: Black '08 ~500HP. 7.4 8th mi. D1SC Procharged@ ~9.5# w/ 3.5" pulley & a Stage II Valve Body. R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors / Stainless Works Catback / Dual Walbro 255's / 80# Injectors / Nitto Invo 295/315's /Kalbones Custom Hitch
Old 02-19-2013, 04:35 PM

How are the cryo'd rotors holding up? I had a set on my WRX, and they lasted about 5 times as long as any other set of rotors the car had to that point. I am thinking on a heavy brick like the SRT8, they would be even more beneficial.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributing Member

guys I am, waking this thread from the dead! i need new rotors and pads mine are squealing when it gets cold.. how is everyone liking the r1s?
2010 Ford F-150 XLT super crew Work truck

Mods: Tuned by the TOONA
--Corsa exhaust/5''Bqwick tips--Mopar CAI-- Billet Tech Catch Can--180 T-STAT--Stoptech break pads--custom 1 off sidemoldings-Shorty Antenna--Stillens--Rear Fogs Wired--hid fogs 6k--Tints 30%-debadged--hideaway front plate--stant cap--chrome delete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.