Installing Eibach Springs and BWoody End Links - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Suspension / Driveline Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 AM

Sounds like we really are on the same schedule... I also only got the rear done yesterday. Heading out to the garage in just a few to knock the front out. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Garage
Hahaha! Nice man! I'm also heading out shortly. I'm behind ya in timezones so you'll be done before me.

2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Billet Tech CC | Speedlogix CAI | T1000 tune | Mopar STB | 180* thermo | Magnaflow Cat-back | 20% tint and smoked tails

2004 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
Flowmaster cat-back | JLT CAI | Pulley and Tune coming soon
Old 09-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Well got it all done and I'm super pleased! I'll take some better photos later after hopefully it has settled a touch more and I have time to clean the Jeep up. But with around 20 miles on everything so far it seems to have dropped the front about 1/2" and the rear about an 1".

I'm super pleased with the ride quality. I was a little hesitant b/c this is my DD but I have to say I have no regrets. I don't know that from a roughness/quality standpoint I could tell you the difference. It still feels smooth and is not jarring. But it does handle better. Seems more stable in the corners and turn-in occurs quicker, although this is almost certainly from the end links more so than the springs. Either way, I'm happy with the ride and the look! It's not slammed but I didn't want it to be. Just looks better than stock, handles better than stock and retains a stock-like comfort level.

The install took a little longer than I expected mainly due to some confusion on the rear end link install and then removal method of front strut. But after doing one side I had the second one out and back in in 30-45 minutes.

Anyway, here's a quick before and after...

Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM

Garage
Looks great man! Hopefully for BOTH of us the front will settle a little more and give us the advertised 1.1" or so. I also only got like 1/2" on front. But heck ya it rides great and handles awesome too! Love it.

I had the same fun with the front and getting the upper control arm off the ball joint. Was scratching my head at why it wouldn't come off. Then I got on here and did a search and found out you simply have to hit the connecting arm right on the circle and it pops the upper ball joint right out! After that, took me like 45 min to do the passenger side!

I didn't take very good before and after pictures... I will see what I can do at least for an after tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:52 PM

Garage
On a side note, I LOVE that Lightning poster! I had that exact truck and I miss it! Had a red 2001 F-150 SVT Lightning about 5 years ago. Wish I kept it.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Yeah, I gave up on the upper control arm ball joint. For one I couldn't get the SOB to release and I didn't want to use my ball joint fork on it b/c I knew I would tear the rubber boot. So I ended up just removing the "fork" attached to the bottom of the strut and then you could literally just push down on the spindle and it would all slide out. Made it easy and I didn't have to undo any part of the upper or lower control arm.

I also had a Lightning, a silver 2000. Loved that truck and only sold it b/c a Terminator/Cobra that I really wanted became available and I couldn't pass it up. I'll probably own another one day though. Really want a DSG '03 or '04. I actually equate how these Jeeps drive to the L. Lots of low and mid range TQ, hit hard off the line and most have no idea what they are capable of. Of course the Jeep has MUCH more traction, lol. 500 ft-lbs of TQ and no weight on the rear axle makes the L's real squirmy.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:17 PM

Garage
HAHAHA, a little squirmy is an understatement, but man was it fun to control it! I would also love to get another one in '03 or '04 but in Sonic Blue! Before my 300 SRT8 I had an '08 GT500, so I know exactly what you felt for that Terminator becoming available! I actually prefer the body of the Termi but give me the 5.4 (or 5.8 in the 2013!) from the GT500 in that car and I would be in love!

My GT500:

My Lightning:

Last edited by Gibby; 09-03-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazyRDM View Post
Well got it all done and I'm super pleased! I'll take some better photos later after hopefully it has settled a touch more and I have time to clean the Jeep up. But with around 20 miles on everything so far it seems to have dropped the front about 1/2" and the rear about an 1".

I'm super pleased with the ride quality. I was a little hesitant b/c this is my DD but I have to say I have no regrets. I don't know that from a roughness/quality standpoint I could tell you the difference. It still feels smooth and is not jarring. But it does handle better. Seems more stable in the corners and turn-in occurs quicker, although this is almost certainly from the end links more so than the springs. Either way, I'm happy with the ride and the look! It's not slammed but I didn't want it to be. Just looks better than stock, handles better than stock and retains a stock-like comfort level.

The install took a little longer than I expected mainly due to some confusion on the rear end link install and then removal method of front strut. But after doing one side I had the second one out and back in in 30-45 minutes.

Anyway, here's a quick before and after...

Wow that looks really nice, let me ask you in other posts I hear some people say it bottoms out and some people say it doesn't. I have heard several remedies and different ways of installing them. Did you cut the bumpstops or did you use the factory bumpstops. I am gonna lower mine as well but just wanna know what I will be up against.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Blanco View Post
Wow that looks really nice, let me ask you in other posts I hear some people say it bottoms out and some people say it doesn't. I have heard several remedies and different ways of installing them. Did you cut the bumpstops or did you use the factory bumpstops. I am gonna lower mine as well but just wanna know what I will be up against.

Thanks

I've been over some large bumps at speed, ones I was even worried about honestly, and have not bottomed out yet. As long as you follow the recommendations NOT to install the spacer that comes with the kit you will be fine.

The kit comes with a new bump stop, a new aluminum "cup" for the bump stop and a spacer. Only install the new bump stop and the cup and you will love it! I am actually very surprised at how nice this thing still rides. Being my DD I was kind of hesitant to install springs in the first place but after reading many positive reviews of the Eibachs I figured I'd give it a try. They weren't lying, it still rides as nice as stock (if not better) yet handles better and looks better. Extremely good bang for the buck mod. I just got my alignment done today and I hope to post up some better pics this weekend after she gets a bath.

Now all I need to do is get rid of the run-crap tires and she'll ride/drive like a dream!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Garage
Yeah bro, it's an even bigger difference changing out those Crapyear tires. Even before I lowered the Jeep it was night and day ride difference just from changing the tires. I put on the Toyo Proxes STII and LOVE them.

By how much (if any) was your alignment off when you got it done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.