Has anyone found a good replacement for the front shocks? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Suspension / Driveline Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Has anyone found a good replacement for the front shocks?

The creaking I keep getting from the Bilsteins on normal roads is driving me crazy, even on a second set of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

I'm installing a set of performance Bilstein's next week that is supposed to be a direct replacement for OEM...are you saying they are not as good as OEM?

My Jeep as 130,000km on the original OEM's and they now are just showing signs of wear/weakness...was thinking they would last longer???

Last edited by First Jeep; 08-10-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 PM

The OEM shocks are Bilsteins. Didn't know of any other models they had. Mine have been creaking ever since I lowered the Jeep, even after replacing the struts, but I'm not sure if thats why.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

My performance shop just installed Bilstein front replacements shocks on my Jeep...these were not bought from a Mopar dealer, but rather ordered direct from a Bilstein supplier as "SRT replacements"... They were half the cost of buying from a dealer but I was assured they were the same shocks i would get at the dealer paying twice as much.

They don't seem as stiff as the OEM's...and I get a noticeable bounce over speed bumps that I never got before??? Anybody have any experience here to comment?

Last edited by First Jeep; 09-08-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:17 PM

^ I bought my replacements direct from Jeep but I am wondering if I didn't get the correct ones. I noticed my Jeep was getting more bounce/ float off of speed bumps and overall not handling as good. I replaced all the shocks and nothing has changed. I am now thinking it may be the springs? I have 100k on my '07 and replaced the shock's @ around 95k. I think I will climb under and check the part #'s of the new shocks to make sure.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

The replacements I installed made a noticeable "negative" difference in performance.
Jeep feels like its floating at high speeds when breaking, balance seems to be out of whack...Did not have any of this feeling with the Stock shocks before the replacements, even when the stockers started going bad...

Are the stock SRT shocks "not" purchased from the dealer different from the Bilstein replacements available through performance shops
Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 PM

I am not sure on the stock shocks "not" purchased from the dealer since I bought from them. I agree with your feelings and to add I just don't have the same confidence in the handling that I had with the stockers...I purchased direct from the dealer but it would not be the 1st time they came up with non-SRT parts when ordered. Maybe the shocks I received are not correct. I will check tomorrow and reply back..Below are what I think are the stock part #'s.

5175 959AC Shock Front
5290 641AC Shock Rear
Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickBrick View Post
I am not sure on the stock shocks "not" purchased from the dealer since I bought from them. I agree with your feelings and to add I just don't have the same confidence in the handling that I had with the stockers...I purchased direct from the dealer but it would not be the 1st time they came up with non-SRT parts when ordered. Maybe the shocks I received are not correct. I will check tomorrow and reply back..Below are what I think are the stock part #'s.

5175 959AC Shock Front
5290 641AC Shock Rear

^^^ Those are correct. The stock shocks are only available through the dealer. Bilstein does not even list a replacement shock for us on their website. They do offer shocks for the standard WK1, which may explain the negative performance you guys are seeing with these shocks.

There is a dealer here in MA that has the OEM front shocks on sale for $400 a pair. This forum blocks out the website though, so I cant post a link. Quirk Jeep is the dealer, and their website sounds like Yust for Yeeps.

Last edited by StangSlayerMA; 09-30-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM

im also looking for OEM stuts, but does the oem ones come with the bushing and boot or do i have to buy them separately??
Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM

As far as I've been able to find out you can only get these from your dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.