Borla S-Type install on 2012 SRT8jeep - Page 4 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK2 SRT8 Intake/Exhaust Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivetpro View Post
Drove 1:30 mins on a trip with the ram to a waterpark today. My friend brought his GMC Acadia and we were driving down with the families together. He said you could here the borla with their radio on and doing 80mph with 2 noisy kids in their truck. The borla S-Type has some sound,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!
Awesome to hear, and its not disturbing inside? WK2 probably has some good sound proofing as well...
*Debadged | Black Reflective Hitch Insert | Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof | Billet Technology Catch Can & Accesories | Injen Intake | LED Interior Swap | LED Puddle/Entry Lighting | Lower Grill Badge | Tint | 6000K Headlights | 3000K Foglights | Eibach Lowering Springs | QTP Electronic Cutouts | Headlight DRL Mod | Borla S-Type*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

It's great to read this thread after having driven with the ATAK for about 1000 miles. I totally agree that all will be happy with the S or ATAK... They both are fantastic. Please be advised that there is a definite difference in sound at the shiftpoints once the computer adjusts to the new system. The shifts become extremely crisp with no "burping" noticeable. The entire system also becomes louder (in a good way). I don't have the same concerns as many have posted about the MDS going in and out. Inside the vehicle it is barely noticeable IMO.
BBCP / Lux Gp. II / LED DRL / Park Assist / Adapt. Sp. Contr. / Sunroof / Trailer Tow / High Perf. Audio / 3M Clear Bra / Borla ATAK axle back system / Hennessey intake / BT engine compartment "blingage"/ Hemi Orange valve covers

Addicted to 392's... Drove a 2011 Challenger SRT8 for a year prior

Prior Jeep Connections:
1980 Jeep CJ-7
1993 Jeep GC Lmtd.
1996 Jeep GC Laredo
1997 Jeep TJ Sport
2002 Jeep TJ Sahara

Last edited by UpNort392; 08-05-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:25 AM

Borla S sound

Rivetpro - Thanks for your excellent work. I listened to the sound clips on different days and different times and I knew I had heard that same sound before on a vehicle. Then, there it was - Porsche Cayenne. It has almost the same exhaust tone and note. Search for one and see if it isn't almost the same.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:20 PM

okay' droptop are you in or out?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetruck View Post
okay' droptop are you in or out?
I am definitely in. By the way, I think I am also fixing to install the BWoody CAI kit on mine. I thought about the Hennesey CAI but the BWoody sure seems like it would work a lot better. What are you going to do for an intake??
Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 AM

I'm just going to reinstall my AEM drop in, dry filter. the CAI doesn't work unless you open up the exhaust.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 AM

Cai

Firetruck - After all the research that I did on this subject, the BWoody is worth the plunge to me. But, I understand, from the guys here, that the ECU can take up to a couple of thousand miles to completely learn the new driving patterns.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Is there a hp increase figure and at what rpm does it outperform the stock filter.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rivetpro
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop63 View Post
Rivetpro - Thanks for your excellent work. I listened to the sound clips on different days and different times and I knew I had heard that same sound before on a vehicle. Then, there it was - Porsche Cayenne. It has almost the same exhaust tone and note. Search for one and see if it isn't almost the same.

I would say its similar, but, I would think the atak would sound more like this cayenne video

The s-type borla sound less "flappy" and a lot smoother. The s-types borlas downshift is amazing. Now I use the paddles all the time. I basically drive around town in first gear because it sounds awesome.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rivetpro
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop63 View Post
Firetruck - After all the research that I did on this subject, the BWoody is worth the plunge to me. But, I understand, from the guys here, that the ECU can take up to a couple of thousand miles to completely learn the new driving patterns.
I have done a lot of research and have no problem with the expense of the bwoody, but the hydro lock scares the hell out of me. That vent is so close to the ground and splashing puddles is the worry. Alot of people have success with the Bwoody, but, Remember, a splashing puddle is a bunch of randomly deposited water and it could be just luck. 9,000 for a new engine is just too risky. as for the design, I do believe bwoody takes the cake. Ram air is the way to go. Hennessy is pretty, but im not sold on it yet. No cold air, no heat shield, and a very hot engine doesn't make a good mix. I think henneseys results were done on a cold day at startup. I am thinking if making my own if someone doesn't design a better one soon. Or just going with an in filer in the existing box. That box pulls air from the vent under the rig. Look at the airfoil in front underneath the bumper. It routes cold air into the box. At least I think it takes in cold air better then the hennesey. Not about to spend 400 on hennesey that looks nice but doesn't show much improvement. If you're in the desert then bwoody is designed well. Hydro lock isnthenmain concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2012, borla, jeep, s-type, srt8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.