Borla S-Type install on 2012 SRT8jeep - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK2 SRT8 Intake/Exhaust Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to rivetpro
Borla S-Type install on 2012 SRT8jeep

Just installed the first borla S type on the rig. I had a hard time making the decision whether to go a T a K or S-type. After some coaching from Borla i selected the S-type. Install myself at a friends oil change place. I think we only lifted the rig quarter of an inch off the ground. The restless piece of cake.

Listen to the idle video here. Let me know what you think in comparison to the ATAK

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rivetpro For This Useful Post:
Black-sleeper (08-06-2012), Bono392 (08-01-2012), Cajun SRT8 (08-29-2012), Gibby (08-02-2012), heywire (08-01-2012), josephdeaton (08-02-2012), SRT8PANK (07-31-2012), TheSrt8power (08-02-2012), UpNort392 (08-05-2012), valashinasfl (08-26-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

I have the ATAK and it sounds the same at idle. IMO. I think, like they said it would be hard to tell the difference on video. Maybe, WOT is different? Price is different though!
2012 GC SRT8(Being Demonized for more): D1SC Procharger, ProLine Racing built engine, forged pistons and rods, custom supercharger cam, Demon/Fore return fuel system, Kook's, SHR, FTI, ATI, Brembo Sport rotors slotted, hawks, BT goodies, TS LED tails, LED interior, Borla ATAK, Shark Fin, Johan Tuned, Nate & Skip assembled.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 AM

Quit teasing....how bout some rev clips or drive bys???!!!!!

2006 Z06 (auto...few bolt-on's) FOR SALE!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1268 For This Useful Post:
1BAMFR (08-02-2012), Bono392 (08-01-2012), Mongoose9400 (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1268 View Post
Quit teasing....how bout some rev clips or drive bys???!!!!!
Great to see we have someone with an S-Type now. I agree we need more goodies, rev and drive-by video.

So how is the sound of the S-Type compared to OEM in your opinion; idle, WOT, MDS drone?

Thanks for posting and helping us on the Borla fence.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Yeah, Alvin from Borla said they would sound near identical at idle with the S being lower/deeper sounding and the Attack would be higher pitched and louder throughout the rpm range.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 PM

could have raised the rpms.

Last edited by firetruck; 08-01-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

firetruck LMAO. that was funny. i am glad that we finally have a posted clip. i am buying a system not for HP increase (that is bonus) but for some sound. lite that baby up rivet pro. Also, question on the install..it looks like the tips stick out much further than stock. did you do that on purpose or is that just the way the pic is showing? i do like the look and cant' wait to get my ATAK.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Just Installed.... S Type Borla 2012 Jeep WK2

Sorry guys.... I have been trying to find someone to video for me. The wife has no idea I invested more money in this thing and I'm not about to tell her. I will ask a buddy to do it before the weekend.

As for the sound... As you can hear in the video, at start up and after about a 30 seconds the jeep goes into a deep, tight, low and slow tone. Clean though, not dirty like a worked Tahoe. I love it. One of my favorite parts is remote starting in a parking lot or in the fire lane of a shopping mall. When someone is walking by I rem start it up and scare the living hell out of them. It takes 30 seconds to get to that low tone, but before.... its pretty beefy.

As for on the road... You can't hear it until 3k rpm so it avoids drone and is not annoying. What is annoying is the MDS. I'm thinking I should have ripped those out. I wonder if the low and slow sound of S type is different then the higher note of the ATAK when it comes to MDS. Honestly MDS is annoying now.... but then again, it was annoying before it was installed. I now drive with the paddles and then dont have to worry about MDS because its disabled when using paddles. When cruising, I just shift from D to 5 and it stops.

When you get on this thing it is still very loud. When comparing S-type to ATAK, I think the biggest difference I have noticed was the sounds between gear shifts. ATAK belches more between gears. S type still does, but, I think much less. That belch is what your hear down the road 200m away like Borla says. I dont really care for it. I like it loud but I think the belch is already loose and uncontrolled, so I would hate to amplify it with ATAK (in my opinion).

I can tell you this.... Before the exaust and with the current rig appearance mods... 50 percent of people I passed (either walking or at 60 mph) noticed it. Now EVERYONE knows im coming. S-type ain't quiet. I have to watch for cops now because before I was a sleeper.... now Im not.

As for the pipe distance... I purposely installed the pipes to stick out. They can be flush, but I liked them better protruding. I still cut 3" inches like the Borla manual said... so there is plenty of play for adjustments. NOTE TO EVERYONE ABOUT THIS.... I almost had a bad experience today. Your backup camera cannot see the tail pipes... and... if the protrude, you better account for it. I also went to NYC where parallel parking was necessary. If cars want to kiss bumpers to get out of a spot.... they might take out your exhaust. I hadnt thought about that.... All is ok... but food for thought.

More videos to come.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rivetpro For This Useful Post:
Bono392 (08-01-2012), UpNort392 (08-05-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

By the way... Did I mention the truck is faster? It is.....
The Following User Says Thank You to rivetpro For This Useful Post:
Bono392 (08-01-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 AM

if they had a touring version I would get in. from the s results, it's still to loud for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2012, borla, jeep, s-type, srt8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.