Acceleration and deceleration clunk - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your WK2 SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM

Acceleration and deceleration clunk

After I put about 1k miles on my WK2 SRT8 I noticed that a clunking started occurring when I was changing momentum. The clunking occurs at the rear of the car has about the same sound as the known issue with the shocks bottoming out but also consists of a physical clunk you can feel in the car.

It doesnít occur all of the time but it seems to get worse the more I drive the car without letting it sit in park or if I break or accelerate hard. The issue occurs a lot less when the SRT8 is in sport or track mode but it still can occur. It doesnít seem to be the brakes since it even occurs when I am coasting slowly and the car downshifts and changes momentum without me putting on the brakes. It is occurring even on flat surfaces so it isnít a case of the shocks bouncing due to a change in vertical height.

I took the SRT8 in for a couple of issues and when I just called in for a status update they said the clunking noise was normal for this drive line.

Is this another normal clunking sound or is the dealer off basis here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 09:54 AM

i have the same thing. had the rear clunk tsb done and that did nothing. it's a clunk i can hear and feel. when i accelerate it often feels like there's a momentary lag then it engages. that's when i feel & hear the clunk. i'm assuming it's normal.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Yes, you can hear and feel it. I was told by the dealer and SRT8 team that this was not an abnormal sound or 'feel'. They said with everything involved; transfer case, transmission, drive line, etc the delays in all of these engaging can add up and give you the lag / thunk. The strange thing is that for me it only happens some times and it doesn't always involved any transmission shift but rather the change in motion of the car.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post
Yes, you can hear and feel it. I was told by the dealer and SRT8 team that this was not an abnormal sound or 'feel'. They said with everything involved; transfer case, transmission, drive line, etc the delays in all of these engaging can add up and give you the lag / thunk. The strange thing is that for me it only happens some times and it doesn't always involved any transmission shift but rather the change in motion of the car.
I have the same thing, only mine happens periodically upon downshifting. I had the dealer listen and we both agreed it's coming from the rear, not the trans. It's the same clunk you get when you go from reverse to drive sometimes when backing up. I think Chryco is saying this is normal.
20% Tint, De-badged doors, Billet catch can, SRT front badge
Previous car CTS-V sedan
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
It's the same clunk you get when you go from reverse to drive sometimes when backing up.
Yup, I would say that is spot on.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Have you guys tried pausing for a second between the shift from reverse to drive? Normally it'll shift quietly.

Maybe the clunk is torque management related while driving? Wonder if the guys with the tune have experienced this before and then it's gone away with a tune?

Sent from my iPhone 4S
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 08-01-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
Have you guys tried pausing for a second between the shift from reverse to drive? Normally it'll shift quietly.
Yes, normally it does shift quietly but there are times when it doesn't. It is more likely to occur in the morning. The clunk can occur even if you stay in one of the gears for a while between shifts. Unless you mean take it out of gear and let it sit in between gears for a while too.

In looking over the normal GC threads looks like a lot of people run into this too.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:17 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

In my experience, reverse, complete stop, pause for a second and stay stopped, then shift from reverse to drive, then drive away. Usually it results in a quite non clunking shift.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
In my experience, reverse, complete stop, pause for a second and stay stopped, then shift from reverse to drive, then drive away. Usually it results in a quite non clunking shift.
Mine can still get the clunking sound though. If I hurry through and quickly shift I definitely will get a clunk though. I think some of our cars have the components in place with enough delay to clunk but still be within manufacturers tolerance. Just makes me nervous when it happens due to a momentum change and not a gear change.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone 4S
Most times, but not all times. I am sort of getting used to the clunk now, it doesn't seem to worry me anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.