Dealers not stocking 0W-40 - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your WK2 SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM

My dealer didn't have penzoil and put in 0w-40 mobil 1. Which was fine, except the dumbass technician didn't tighten the oil filter. The next morning I had oil on my garage floor. Took it to my shop and my mechanic had to tighten it. They need to have srt techs like cadillac has v techs and only allow them to work on these trucks, even for small jobs like oil changes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carz80am View Post
My dealer didn't have penzoil and put in 0w-40 mobil 1. Which was fine, except the dumbass technician didn't tighten the oil filter. The next morning I had oil on my garage floor. Took it to my shop and my mechanic had to tighten it. They need to have srt techs like cadillac has v techs and only allow them to work on these trucks, even for small jobs like oil changes...
Ask them to only have their Viper mechanic work on it, if they have one. That's what my buddy does with his Challenger SRT8.
2012 GC SRT8(Being Demonized for more): D1SC Procharger, ProLine Racing built engine, forged pistons and rods, custom supercharger cam, Demon/Fore return fuel system, Kook's, SHR, FTI, ATI, DMH cutouts, Brembo Sport rotors slotted, hawks, BT goodies, TS LED tails, LED interior, Borla ATAK, Shark Fin, Johan Tuned, Nate & Skip assembled.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

I had the same problem today--like listed above...show up for first oil change. tell them I ONLY want the 0W40. They say OK. I walk out to the shop floor when I saw the parts guy deliver 7 bottles...they were 5W40...parts manager says it is the "new thing and good enough." I pointed out the oil fill cap on the engine says 0W 40....I told him to look for the 5 gallon pail that was shipped to him and has yellow label that says "SRT8 only." He sais "Oh, I do remember a 5 gallon pail--wonder where it is." He finally found it and we used it.
I think what happens is that Jeep automatically sends the 5 gallon pail to the stealership when they get their first SRT8 delivered...so they don't actually request it and thus they don't remember anything about it.
Thanks to the other guys on this forum.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 PM

Precautions

I, for one, am glad I read all of this important info you guys have posted on this subject. This is the same kind of BS I went through with the dealer on my M5. My last oil change at the stealership on my M5 went like this - scheduled it 2 weeks ahead of time, they called and reminded about and then I took it in (they said it would take a few hours - lots of oil goes in this car). I still had not gotten a phone call at the end of the day so, I called them. The SA said that the car would not be ready for another 3 days! When I asked why, they responded with - "we didn't know that we were out of that specific filter for your car until we dropped the oil out of it". Even over-nighting the filter it still took 3 days.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTN View Post
Called dealer a week in advance to set up oil change and warranty work. Dropped off my SRT8 for an oil change. Told the tech to make sure they used correct oil. Came back the next day to pick it up, ticket showed that they put in 5W-40. Service advisor checked into it, they didn't have 0W-40 in stock so they just used what they had. Sitting in the cust service waiting area as they drive around to the auto part store to find 0W-40. This is the second dealer to not have any inventory on hand. I don't know what JEEP is doing, but I thought the SRT8 Jeep owners were getting VIP service per the SRT division. I didn't know it was B.Y.O.O. Anyone else running into this issue?

What is this VIP service you are speaking of???? I can't find that anywhere.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

This sucks bro.

Since the day I bought my SRT, I have bought my own Mobil 0W 40 plus own MObil 210 oil filter.

Juts moved to Cali and doing the same here.
BWoody 4' CAI Red, Johan Tuned
Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 AM

the dealership in kuwait only use 5w-40 oil, and its only for the srt8 but i guess its because of the weather, it gets here over 55C in the summer and in winter its never below 8C

so anyone has any idea would it effect the engine quality? or it is suitable for that kind of weather?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 AM

after reading this i did a quick search on ebay and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-PENNZO...23b969&vxp=mtr

It is not my listing.....I thought I would pass it to those who might need it as I am a WK1 owner.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop63 View Post
I, for one, am glad I read all of this important info you guys have posted on this subject. This is the same kind of BS I went through with the dealer on my M5. My last oil change at the stealership on my M5 went like this - scheduled it 2 weeks ahead of time, they called and reminded about and then I took it in (they said it would take a few hours - lots of oil goes in this car). I still had not gotten a phone call at the end of the day so, I called them. The SA said that the car would not be ready for another 3 days! When I asked why, they responded with - "we didn't know that we were out of that specific filter for your car until we dropped the oil out of it". Even over-nighting the filter it still took 3 days.
Sounds like you got the full SA "baffle'm with bullshit" treatment. $5 says the filter was never "overnighted" as otherwise the car would have been ready the next day. More than likely it was just added to their regular parts order to save on the shipping. And I guess the mechanics and parts guy have no access to a thing called a "computer" that tells them what parts are required for the job; must be slow going to have the mechanics take parts off the cars and have the parts guy match them up to his parts inventory by wandering down the rows doing visual matches. Hope you rode the crap out of the loaner they supplied...

Last edited by Craig; 11-20-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:44 PM

Allen Samuels in Port Arthur, TX tried to put in Mobil 1 at first but when the guy came around with it i stopped him and told him i wanted the Pennzoil which he claimed they didnt have but then i saw them grab the 5 gallon bucket of it. Very sad that you have to stay on top of the dealers so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.