Rough idle? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your WK2 SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 AM

Rough idle?

Whith the AC on my truck has a fairly inconsistent idle, I know it's prob the compressor turning on and off but it jumps around 200 to 300 rpm while sitting at a light, feels like it's running rough. The AC in my last truck (07 Tahoe) was much better and you barely felt the compressor on and off. Is anyone else having ismilar issues? I have about 4300 miles now.

Last edited by Infraredcalvin; 06-07-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 PM

Strong compressor means nice cool air and the engine has to work harder at idle to keep the compressor going. Take it as a good sign of a well designed and strong AC system. Your Tahoe was a GM and...well...I shouldn't rip on it. Its just....a Tahoe: soft, quiet, mushy, GM'ish. You now have a high performance muscle truck. Jeeps have always had massive AC compressors. All mine have done that.
1980 Jeep CJ7, in line 6 Restored and for sale

Past Jeeps:
2007 SRT8
1995 Cherokee Country
1997 Cherokee Country (Upcountry)
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepsjeep For This Useful Post:
Infraredcalvin (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsjeep View Post
Strong compressor means nice cool air and the engine has to work harder at idle to keep the compressor going. Take it as a good sign of a well designed and strong AC system. Your Tahoe was a GM and...well...I shouldn't rip on it. Its just....a Tahoe: soft, quiet, mushy, GM'ish. You now have a high performance muscle truck. Jeeps have always had massive AC compressors. All mine have done that.
The AC in my 2011 GMC truck runs rings around both the Jeep and Challenger AC. The GMC cools right now, even at idle. The Chryslers AC is marginal at best and really doesn't do the job until the RPMs are up. I even insulated the AC low pressure lines which helped some, especially on the Jeep which has a lot of exposed metal tubing.

Our 6.1 Hemis idle a little rough compared to most engines. The idle also varies a bit in RPM especially when cold but 200-300 RPM variation we do not get, maybe 100 RPM at most.
The Following User Says Thank You to waumo For This Useful Post:
Infraredcalvin (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for before taking into the dealer. This is a big engine, I'm used to higher strung pancake sixes for fun performance cars, and you're right about the gm being more cush. New stuff to get used to...
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM

I notice mine idles rough at startup. It jumps slightly when I turn the ax on but can't say I've noticed continued rough idle with ac operation.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

During initial startup the truck will idle high and bounce around as it finds it's engine idle. Normal operation. It takes time for the engine/fluids to heat up and the idle to smooth out.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
During initial startup the truck will idle high and bounce around as it finds it's engine idle. Normal operation. It takes time for the engine/fluids to heat up and the idle to smooth out.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
It mostly does it when well warm, which is why I thought it was a little odd.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM

I've noticed a vibration when idling at a stop light with the A/C on. It doesn't happen all the time but the vibration gets very loud as if something is loose somewhere and then it stops when I hit the throttle. Since it doesn't happen all the time, I know the dealer is going to tell me they can't find anything wrong, has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 AM

mine is perfectly smooth after just a few seconds and then its smooth as silk until it sits overnight or something again..... My service manager said it was a normal characteristic of this engine..
Old 12-25-2012, 04:41 PM

Mine is picky at idle also. When warm and with the A/C off.

Mine usually idles around 600ish rpm which is where it is happy and smooth, other times it idles at 500rpm and the truck has a buzz/vib to it.

Pretty annoying. I usually put it in "N" and back to "D" and it goes back to the normal rpm at idle, or give it a lil throttle to get it back in its happy range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.