Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

DIY: A/C & Heater Actuator Gear

43K views 59 replies 31 participants last post by  TillSRT8 
#1 ·
For those of you who have broken the gear for your recirculation, here is a how-to. The dealer wanted to charge $1,118 to fix total BS.

So, if you have found this laying around your passenger side floor somewhere, this is how to fix it......

Needed:

Part #68072190AA - A/C & Heater Actuator Gear $18

T20 Torx

Small Socket Wrench

First, you need to take the glovebox off. This was extremely easy. It isn't even held on by bolts. Here is a link to help you since explaining it would be hard....

http://www.wkjeeps.com/interior_trim.htm#GLOVE

Once the glove box is off, this is what you will see. The motor for the gear itself is held on by 3 T20 Torx bolts, one is hiding.

If you look closely, you can see the other gear in the middle of the picture. The piece you are fixing attached to this other gear to move the door.

Once you take the 3 torx screws off, you can hold the motor in your hand. The broken piece where the gear used to be held on pulls right off.

You can see the new part compared to the old part. They reinforced it, so there is no gap in between the plastic of the gear.

Take the new gear and slide it on the motor, but pay attention to how it goes on, because it has a very specific way of going on. It just slides on, that's it.

Now, I would say the trickiest part of this was putting the motor back into place. That circular part attached to the gear goes into a hole at a certain angle. This hole I'm referring to is the part that actually moves. I had to turn my recirculation on to get it to move into the right position in order to mount the motor back up. Once you get the gear into the hole, screw the torx bolts back in. Turn your car on and make sure the gear is moving properly by pressing the recirculation button on and off. If it is successful, put the glove box back on and you are good to go!

Congratulations, you just saved yourself $1100 :p

Hope this helps!

See less See more
#41 ·
is there a calibration procedure for the climate control systems? ive read there is one for the non climate ones but havent found anything for the auto systems

#42 ·
You need to adjust the gear which is why you have to keep pushing the recirc button to get the teeth lined up right. The way you have it set it probably isn't going fully one direction

Reactions: SRT8Girl12
#43 ·
ok well let me ask this, should i expect to hear an audible clunk or anything when the door closes? because i dont now. but being that the recirc never worked since ive had it i dont know what to expect

#44 ·
I would manually open and close the door. You should be able to feel when it hits. I don't have nor did have this problem but it sounds like you aren't aligned properly.

Reactions: SRT8Girl12
#51 ·
Just did mine today and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the write up! One trick I did figure out was because mine wasn't anywhere near being lined up, I turned on the A/C and pushed the recirc button to line it up and when the gear reached the position i wanted I pulled the plug on the gear motor to stop it exactly where I needed it and was able to slip it on with no problem at all.

#57 ·
Is it possible that someone took a capture of the DIY before all of the pictures went down? If so, I would appreciate it being updated or attached via PDF or something.

Thanks.

#58 ·
the heat went out only on the drivers side xmas day of all days hahaha. the rest of the car blows hot air except ice cold on my feet and face. i bought a new module and lil piece in this thread. will this resolve my no heat on one side? seems like everyone here has AC issues not heat is why i ask.

thanks-

#59 · (Edited)
i attempted to fix this last weekend and was unsuccessful. couldn't get it to line up for the life of me haha. tried pressing the recirculation button but couldn't get it on the right way. i did manage to get it on half ass but like someone else mentioned it wasn't on all teeth so i pulled it back out.

either way when i use my hand to manually open and close this i still don't get heat on the drivers side so i dunno why I'm doing this. i was hoping this would fix my no heat only on the drivers side. i only get heat on the passenger side and everywhere else but in the drivers seat...

my feet get super cold driving this winter and just trying to find this issue..

FML -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.