$60K + but it is still a Jeep - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 General Discussion

WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 AM

$60K + but it is still a Jeep

I've refrained from writing my own review of my SRT8, but I honestly can't take it anymore. I can't believe a manufacturer would be proud of this vehicle, its design, and the quality of components and assembly that is allowed to go on to a $60000+ vehicle. From day one the issues with my SRT have continued to stack up and now (5000 miles later) I'm not even excited to get into my Jeep everyday. I hope that everyone else is enjoying their SRT, while I labor through regular dealer visits and complete and utter dissatisfaction...

Issues to date:
(known or previously mentioned by other members)
chips in the rims - 3-4 mm in dia
brake dust - whats worse is that it eating through the paint on the rims inside some of the wheel features
lack of wheel coverage - it looks as though the lead into my rear wheel well has been peppered with shotgun pellets
Overall performance (honestly...my 2006 charger was a more enjoyable drive than the Jeep)

(new, at least to what I've read)
Leak in the rear hatch window (there is a gap in the seal visible from the drivers seat, I mean really does anyone at the factory not spray water on the vehicle or look in the rearview mirror during the 10 day inspection period?)
Seat quality (now by all means I'm not the smallest or the biggest man in the world, in my industry I would be considered the norm, but at 5K miles my seat looks like the seat in my old Denali did after 40000 miles; not to mention that it is uncomfortable as heck)
Doors (has anyone else opened your window and then shut your door? sounds like half of the components in the door are lose, is this really the best they can do?
paddle shifters (shut off the radio and roll up the windows, listen for your paddle shifters rattle and create a little 'ding' or chime.)
rear carpet (after 3 days of transporting my golf clubs in my golf bag around town and to and from the course, I have very large areas where the carpet has been rubbed out of base structure and areas that looks like I tried to pull the carpet out making it look frayed and cheap)
Post wash ribbons (really after years of seeing cars on the road with water ribbons running down the doors, rear windows, and bumpers; the engineers couldn't do anything about them? that there shows that it is still a non-luxury vehicle, think about the customer and not just function. I kow for a fact that with slight design changes all those water ribbons can be eliminated.

Enough for now...have a nice day!

Previous SRT vehicles:

2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 - BLACK
2004 Dodge RAM 1500 SRT10 - BLACK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10then8 View Post
Post wash ribbons (really after years of seeing cars on the road with water ribbons running down the doors, rear windows, and bumpers; the engineers couldn't do anything about them? that there shows that it is still a non-luxury vehicle, think about the customer and not just function. I kow for a fact that with slight design changes all those water ribbons can be eliminated.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10then8 View Post
I've refrained from writing my own review of my SRT8, but I honestly can't take it anymore. I can't believe a manufacturer would be proud of this vehicle, its design, and the quality of components and assembly that is allowed to go on to a $60000+ vehicle. From day one the issues with my SRT have continued to stack up and now (5000 miles later) I'm not even excited to get into my Jeep everyday. I hope that everyone else is enjoying their SRT, while I labor through regular dealer visits and complete and utter dissatisfaction...

Issues to date:
brake dust - whats worse is that it eating through the paint on the rims inside some of the wheel featuresAll performance vehicles have brake dust.

Overall performance honestly...my 2006 charger was a more enjoyable drive than the Jeep)Well the Jeep is heavier and bulkier than your '06 Charger was.

paddle shifters (shut off the radio and roll up the windows, listen for your paddle shifters rattle and create a little 'ding' or chime.)No issues with my paddle shifters...

Post wash ribbons (really after years of seeing cars on the road with water ribbons running down the doors, rear windows, and bumpers; the engineers couldn't do anything about them? that there shows that it is still a non-luxury vehicle, think about the customer and not just function. I kow for a fact that with slight design changes all those water ribbons can be eliminated.Really? I mean seriously?

and I forgot the seats.....did you not sit in or drive the Jeep before you bought it?
Sorry you are having so many issues with your Jeep, take it back and have them fix it.
Web: sf10caravan.com

2012 300SRT--Mods so far....CMR tune from Toona, tinted taillights, Kooks LTs and high flow cats, soon to be released catback, Mopar lowering springs, HIDs in the driving lights, tinted windows, LMI true CAI, and a bunch of BT bling.
ng.

Powered by PWR Tooned by Johan Blinged by Billet Technologies
Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Busy
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,467 Times in 964 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to jps043
Thanks for your review of the jeep...it's nice to hear both sides of the story and multiple perspectives.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

I have to agree with Ekaz.

Sorry about the issues, but nothing is perfect, and not every product can please every customer. Here are my experiences after 12k+ miles.

Wheels are fine, though get brake dust. That is a non issue for me. Performance brakes dust, simple as that. Wheels are free of defect minus a curb rash I did. As for the brake dust eating the paint. Have you tried giving them a good clean? The brake dust can build up if not regularly cleaned.

Seats are comfortable, but you need to find the sweet spot. It took me a few weeks to find a position I like, now they are awesome. I've logged long trips in the Jeep. My latest was 31 hours straight. Seats are fine once adjusted. Give it time and play with them.

My paddle shifters are silent. There was some reported issues with a loose screw behind them by others. Simple fix.

I'll give you the widow rattle when closing the door. This was the same on my 05,07,12 Jeep Grand Cherokees. It's never caused a problem. It works, though makes a sound. To me, a non issue.

The water ribbons are a joke IMO. But, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Anyways, after an automatic wash it still doesn't clean the Jeep well enough IMO. That's why you keep detail spray and microfibers handy

The rear cargo area leaking. I haven't had an issue with that. I've driven for 7 hours straight in down pours before. Jeep stayed dry.

The rear cargo area maybe invest in a mat? I use the Jeep cargo mat from almost day one. The cargo area looks new underneath. I've hauled my tool boxes, tools, and luggage many times without problem. I also always secure my cargo. I have bungee cords and straps ready to go back there. I drive crazy at times and don't want the cargo flying around.

Hopefully you can find a solution to your issues. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 06-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that sounds like you got a horribly built unit most of us haven't had a single problem I hear no rattles except when I've got my sunglasses positioned in a certain way in the holder. No leaks and it's been raining here for 80% of the last 6 months fml. The seats are holding up perfectly fine with mine 6000+ miles same with the carpet and I also haul my golf clubs + bag in the back constantly. My paddle shifters are silent I actually just went for a short drive after reading your post to check the mail and what not didn't hear a thing and also my wheels were perfectly fine (I now have them powder coated so can't speak about the stock finish anymore). However all vehicles do have terrible things about them sucks that you had to find so many, maybe take it in for warranty work, that's what the warranty is there for.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Post wash ribbons Try drying your car off after you hit the automatic car wash! To complain about that is a joke IMO. For $60k you want it to dry itself too? Did your 06 Charger not have wash ribbons?
If you clean your wheels regularly, you won't get the brake dust build up that eats at your wheels...same thing happens with the WK1.
While you have so legit issues, some of your complaints are a little ridiculous IMO. Plus, there is a rule my father always went by as a manager of a Ford dealership that I think goes with any make...Don't buy the first year of a new model until they have proven to work out the kinks.
Craig 08 GCSRT8-- Eibach's, BT Catch Can, Custom Whipple Setup, Shorty Antenna, 180tstat, other appearance goodies by BT and carbon fiber accents... Jerseyboy Tuned with a custom wrapped Alcantara steering wheel
12.06 @ 113
SRTBEAST
2013 Modern Street Hemi Shootout Stock Points Champion
The Following User Says Thank You to mustbf8 For This Useful Post:
Painlord (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks for sharing man and I agree with the rest...let that warranty work for you if you are not happy with your ride!

If it's Cheap and Reliable it aint Fast
If it's Cheap and Fast it aint Reliable
If it's Fast and Reliable it aint Cheap

Last edited by SPEEDDEMON; 06-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 AM

Since I assume you take it through an automatic wash, I'm gonna go ahead and blame the issue on the rims on that. Probably used some harmful soap.

These new rims dont have a POS coating like the 06-10 did (specifically the 09-10 with the durabrite coating), so it shouldnt be an issue for you unless the wash put some harmful chemical on it.

Silver 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Last edited by Crookster777; 06-05-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 AM

this guy is a joke. You should have bought a Toyota.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.