Bwoody Washer Tank Fix WK2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK2 SRT8 Intake/Exhaust Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:29 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Bwoody Washer Tank Fix WK2

Had some time today to figure out a better washer tank solution. I've seen this coolant tank at the auto parts store before and figured I could make it work with some modding.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...nk+-+universal

I bent the mounting tabs to the side some to make it fit. Used a hole saw, 1", and drilled a new port for the low fluid sensor. Then I drilled a new hole (27/64th) for the factory pump. Low fluid sensor is on the backside next to the driver headlight. Washer pump in located on the bottom of the tank. I used a couple zip ties just in case to hold the factory pump in place. But, the fitment is snug and takes some effort to pull the pump out. I thought about using an epoxy to mount the pump, but i want to keep it easily removable. Otherwise a new pump is around $80. You can't see the zip ties on the underside, so no one will know

The rest is pretty simple. Mark the location for the bracket and drill two small pilot holes for the mounting screws. Then screw the bracket in place. I used the factory washer pump wiring as it reaches the pump with a little extra length to spare. I used the bwoody harness with the low fluid sensor connector to reach the new location. The factory doesn't have enough length. Then just plug the washer lines back into the pump. Labeled "F" and "R" Front and Rear. The front line is the hard plastic, the rear is the flexible line.

The coolant tank as a nipple top and bottom that need to be plugged. I just used some of the supplied hose in the kit and bent it over on itself and zip tied it for now. The lower port isn't really seen. I'll figure something out for the top port to make it look cleaner. Transfer the factory washer cap over to the new tank. It fits, but is slightly larger then the supplied cap. It seems to stay on though. I used a zip tie for now to attach the cap to the bracket incase it falls off. I will make a cable for it later.

Here are the installed pics. Needs a couple finishing touches, but it works like OEM again. Simple to do, took me about an hour to figure it out. All the work can be done from the engine bay assuming your connections can be reached. I left mine easy to get to from when I first installed the bwoody.

Let me know what you guys think. I think it looks better than the bwoody setup. Now I got the bwoody, factory washer function, larger capacity, and better looks. Win Win in my book.
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 07-07-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mongoose9400 For This Useful Post:
Need4spdnb (06-07-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Speed Junkie
Lifetime Premium Member

Damn Zac where you find the energy after your trip?
Looks like a great fix good job!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via MSN to YKPizzaGuy
Great job man. I might need you to put the parts together and ship them to me again

LOL my mod list got to long to be in my Signature MOD KING
Old 05-28-2012, 01:02 AM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,199 Posts
Nice job Zac. You're turning into quite the pioneer with the WK2. Just one suggestion, maybe paint the holder & tank black. It would blend in nicely IMO. You could leave a half inch strip unpainted to see the fluid level.

Jim
Old 05-28-2012, 06:37 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks guys.

Found the energy because I wanted it done. The supplied setup works, but not as well as the factory. The supplied pump doesn't have enough a$$ to spray the windshield well at highway speeds. It may spray 40% of the W/S. For comparison while parked and washing the W/S the supplied pump covers 75% of the W/S, the factory pump covers 110% of the W/S and then some.

I thought about painting it black, but passed on it for now. I only had a couple hours to work on it so I wanted it in and working. Later down the road I can pull it out and paint it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 AM

Looks awesome Zac. I wish I had your time to tinker.

You are right, the supplied Bwoody tank does "work", but the water pressure coming out is weak. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but when you never wash your car and the windshield is full of bugs and crap, having windshield fluid sprayed all over does make a difference.

As always, thanks for your detailed write up and pics, it is appreciated.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

My trip home with all the bug carnage is what really showed the ineffectiveness of the bwoody setup. I just couldn't clean the bug splatters from my w/s no matter how much i tried. Every fuel stop I had to manually clean the w/s.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Cut the nipple off and used a cheap harbor freight soldering iron type plastic welder to close the hole up. About $15 for the welder. Used some picture frame wire and a couple crimp sleeves to attach the washer cap. Used a stick on wire tie anchor on the backside of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1338226161.497877.jpg   ImageUploadedByAutoguide1338226173.298262.jpg  
Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via MSN to cheaperdude
I tried to contact someone in Bwoody about a possible fix in the near future as to where we can get the same performance from both CAI and washer fluid tank, have not heard anything yet, anyone hear anything?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaperdude View Post
I tried to contact someone in Bwoody about a possible fix in the near future as to where we can get the same performance from both CAI and washer fluid tank, have not heard anything yet, anyone hear anything?
Someone recently mentioned that they may work on a fix. I know I voiced my opinion to them over the phone a few months back. I had some other ideas in the works, but I think I'm happy with this solution. It looks clean and works like OEM.

I should snap a pic from further away. It's tucked away and you don't see it at all unless your right up in the engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 05-31-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bwoody, washer tank, windshield

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.