What supercharger is good for daily drive - Page 3 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos/Nitrous

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Death or Glory
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
Air to water intercooling is significantly more efficient than air to air and you can ask anyone with a FAST car.

Air to air is more popular because of simplicity, appearance and cost. Yes, you can make a lot of power on air but how many people with over 2000whp are running air to air intercoolers? I'd venture to say not many.

All of the manifold type chargers available are air to water and they do ok. The Vortech is air to water. The Procharger is air to air. Realistically with our Jeeps at our power levels it is personal preference. As long as the pipes and couplers stay intact and you don't hit anything the air to air is incredibly reliable. If you're worried about pumps failing or plumbing leaking, air to water is probably not the best approach for you. If your pump fails your intercooler is essentially useless.

Another very good way of cooling your intake charge would be with meth injection or nitrous. I'll probably do meth with my install. Liquid intercooler FTW. hehe.
Exactly my thoughts I dont understand why people think air to air is more effecient. I watch my IAT's constantly with the trinity and my jeep is usually only like 10 degrees over ambient with the blower. And then when im in the boost it with heat up more and very quickly drop right back down to 10 degrees over ambient.

I know maximillion can agree with me on this. And it should be noted it gets hot as hell out here in the high desert. The pump doesnt worry me from if i just turn the key to acc. you can here it come on before start up and with the trintiy you would know for sure if your pump was not working.

BTW the Bugatti Veyron has air to water intercoolers and I think they probably know a little bit about effeciency. LOL

2007 Jeep SRT8, Steel blue, Vortech V3 boosted, 30 tooth Pulley, Magnaflow mids, Borla S, (Sold)

Last edited by MEANSRT; 05-08-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

I think Air to water intercooling is better up to 10 psi.. Once you go past 10 psi an air to air intercooler will be more efficent..
The Following User Says Thank You to Knuckles For This Useful Post:
SRT-MANA (05-09-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
I think Air to water intercooling is better up to 10 psi.. Once you go past 10 psi an air to air intercooler will be more efficent..
That is completely system dependent. A stock Maggie intercooler and pump may not be very effiicient above 10psi. A larger pump, tank and intercooler would solve that up to the cooling capacity of the heat exchanger on the blower. Once that is out of its efficiency range, you're making more power than I would recommend out of that 2300.

In contrast, Procharger claims that they are using their 1000hp intercooler with their P1 kit. So you could essentially run out of motor before you run out of blower and intercooler.

My cobra ran the stock heat exchanger from the terminator motor with a 76mm turbo. The benefits were 2 fold. Not only is the turbo more efficient to begin with it was paired with an air to water cooler, I could hot lap the crap out of that car and never worry about water temps.

Ice, which is just about free can be used with the air to water kits for near unlimited cooling capacity. The only thing that comes close would be meth or N2O because they are always going to actively cool the charge temps and don't require air to flow over the intercooler.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Major Contributing Member

Any of you know if you can run meth with the magnacharger? I know you can with the Vortech, Procharger, I ran it on my vortech on my 07. But not sure of you can run it through the magnacharger or is there a inlet after the lobes?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Magnacharger may not warranty it if you do, but if nobody on here has done it in sure people on the ls forums are.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Death or Glory
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonSRT8 View Post
Any of you know if you can run meth with the magnacharger? I know you can with the Vortech, Procharger, I ran it on my vortech on my 07. But not sure of you can run it through the magnacharger or is there a inlet after the lobes?
I know on other roots style blowers meth has be known to eat up the teflon coatings on the rotors when injected pre supercharger I had problems with this on my 01 lightning I used to have.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to SRT-MANA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
I agree....I would think exspecialy in slow stop & go traffic a air to air cooler won't help much,because your not moving fast enough to make use of the cooler vs vortech power cooler pumping cool water thru the power cooler.I drive thru a bunch of stop & go traffic daily & when I get home & pop my hood to touch the power cooler, it's very cool to the touch.so I know its doing its job.it feels great knowing the power cooler is ready with cool air at any giving moment,just incase I have to lay it down at a light with someone.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-MANA View Post
I agree....I would think exspecialy in slow stop & go traffic a air to air cooler won't help much,because your not moving fast enough to make use of the cooler vs vortech power cooler pumping cool water thru the power cooler.I drive thru a bunch of stop & go traffic daily & when I get home & pop my hood to touch the power cooler, it's very cool to the touch.so I know its doing its job.it feels great knowing the power cooler is ready with cool air at any giving moment,just incase I have to lay it down at a light with someone.
Will see what IAT temps are when I install this Procharger....
Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 AM

I am definitely interested in this. i plan on supercharging my rig in August. since mine is a DD and i will rarely track it (more stop & go than high speeds), it sounds like i should go with a good air to water system. my biggest question is roots vs. centrifugal. how much more will a roots system cost, which is more reliable and what are the performance differences.

from what i am reading, it sounds like the pro charger air to water may be the best bang for my buck considering my needs?

thanks in advance for all the great feedback guys!
Other: Toyo Proxes STII 315/275, slotted/dimpled R1 Rotors & Stoptech pads, Full interior LEDs, HID reverse lights, rear fog light harness, CHR550 w/ front facing camera, liquidomes, 5% tint, Shorty antenna, debadged, SRT8 badge on 1/4 panels, SRT in the lower grill, tinted tails
Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,385 Times in 888 Posts
The ProCharger system that's made for these rigs does not have an air to water option, the only way to go about doing that would be going the custom route. Which will take a good bit of playing around and probably more coin than you want to spend, unless you find an old GSM Paxton Novi kit and swap the head to a ProCharger head. Or piece everything together, like a hybrid ProCharger/Vortech kit. It can be done.

You guys have to understand that both air to water and air to air have their ups and downs, both are great concepts and have been proven to be reliable. I personally would go air to water in anything that would be a big hp drag car with a centri blower/big turbo setup, reason being I can freeze the "water box" down after every pass and be ready for the next. On a go fast street car I would go air to air all day long however.
I wonder if they have Outback Steakhouses in the Outback?

2012-2013 Demon Performance Procharger Kits on sale now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.