What supercharger is good for daily drive - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos/Nitrous

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:53 AM
Death or Glory
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankaku.garami View Post
I know Vortech is the old dog now, with procharger coming out, and twin screw blowers getting more common, but really nothing has the track record for reliability and longevity like Vortech since it has been around the longest for our jeeps. Mine is driven pretty regularly, and has been for 15k boosted... no problems.

Vortech, Maggy, Procharger, etc will be far more than your "little more power", you'll love any of them.

Could'nt have said it better myself.

2007 Jeep SRT8, Steel blue, Vortech V3 boosted, 30 tooth Pulley, Magnaflow mids, Borla S, (Sold)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Garage
For 6 k I think you could get a stroker shortblock and cam and be running just as well as a SC jeep. I like being N/A cause you cant tell its stroked by looking all you can hear is the cam.

09 SRT8GC HHP built stroker 604/555 - 10.88 @ 123.68
The Following User Says Thank You to bcm0018 For This Useful Post:
Blkoutsrt8 (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

But what about install costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm0018 View Post
For 6 k I think you could get a stroker shortblock and cam and be running just as well as a SC jeep. I like being N/A cause you cant tell its stroked by looking all you can hear is the cam.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcopare View Post
But what about install costs?
I havent looked to recently at short blocks but I'm thinking 3500-4k, cam 475, springs/retainers ~250 and just keep the heads, manifold and intake (upgrade later) and I think its cheaper than a SC so in the end after install I imagine cost would be about the same. Not sure on the install I'm a DIY kind of person.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

I will be installing blower myself...no way I would do a short block though.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:

To get into the engine, you're talking $10K easy....trust me, I just went through this before the Procharger.
Sure a shortblock is $3500-$4500, then add core charge, ported heads w/core charge, ported intake manifold w/core charge, 90mm throttle body, camshaft, push rods, lifters, timing assembly, gaskets, ballancer, cam bolt, oil, coolant, injectors, flex plate, tq converter, tranny fluid, tuning, etc......then add labor. Shortblock will actually take more labor, because the the heads and cam have to be installed, and piston to valve clearance has to be checked. Longblock is usually cheaper on labor.

SC is the cheaper route, without a doubt. You may be able to throw together an engine on a low budget, but you need lots of supporting mods to make good power and run strong at the track with a stroker.

Last edited by StangSlayerMA; 05-08-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangSlayerMA View Post
To get into the engine, you're talking $10K easy....trust me, I just went through this before the Procharger.
Sure a shortblock is $3500-$4500, then add core charge, ported heads w/core charge, ported intake manifold w/core charge, 90mm throttle body, camshaft, push rods, lifters, timing assembly, gaskets, ballancer, cam bolt, oil, coolant, injectors, flex plate, tq converter, tranny fluid, tuning, etc......then add labor. Shortblock will actually take more labor, because the the heads and cam have to be installed, and piston to valve clearance has to be checked. Longblock is usually cheaper on labor.

SC is the cheaper route, without a doubt. You may be able to throw together an engine on a low budget, but you need lots of supporting mods to make good power and run strong at the track with a stroker.
I agree on the 10K for everything but he doesnt have to do ported heads, core charges are refundable so I neglected them, and the intake and TB can also be done later. I will agree the SC is probably cheaper and easier to install but I think in his price range he could do the bare minimum on a stroker and then upgrade the rest as he saves more money. Just wanted him to think about it. Depends on his final goals for his jeep and how he wants to get there.

Kind of getting off topic so sorry OP.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Superchargers seem to be personal preference...Procharger seems to be pulling away from the pack though..
All work done at KING MOTORSPORTS

RIP RoKDoG

My Jeep... http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=62004
Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
I agree on the 10K for everything but he doesnt have to do ported heads, core charges are refundable so I neglected them, and the intake and TB can also be done later. I will agree the SC is probably cheaper and easier to install but I think in his price range he could do the bare minimum on a stroker and then upgrade the rest as he saves more money. Just wanted him to think about it. Depends on his final goals for his jeep and how he wants to get there.

Kind of getting off topic so sorry OP.
You gotta count core charges, you don't get that money back untill all is said and done, especially if you don't live near an authorized installer.
I just think its a total waste of money to tear apart the whole engine and not do ported heads, ported intake manifold, headers, forged push rods, valve springs, retainers, and a 90mm TB.....especially if you are doing a stroker. Those parts are pretty important to the final hp #. Its tough to break the 500 hp mark without them. You end up spending a large amount of cash, for moderate performance. Then dissapointment sets in when you realize you have to spend over $3K to go back and do heads.
It's best to tear the engine apart as few times as possible. Its hard to justify replacing the shortblock, paying to reinstall stock heads......and then pulling it apart later only to have to pay all that labor again. The labor will add up to be more than what heads would have cost the first time around. Thats called penny wise, and dollar foolish.
The Following User Says Thank You to StangSlayerMA For This Useful Post:
mcopare (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Air to water intercooling is significantly more efficient than air to air and you can ask anyone with a FAST car.

Air to air is more popular because of simplicity, appearance and cost. Yes, you can make a lot of power on air but how many people with over 2000whp are running air to air intercoolers? I'd venture to say not many.

All of the manifold type chargers available are air to water and they do ok. The Vortech is air to water. The Procharger is air to air. Realistically with our Jeeps at our power levels it is personal preference. As long as the pipes and couplers stay intact and you don't hit anything the air to air is incredibly reliable. If you're worried about pumps failing or plumbing leaking, air to water is probably not the best approach for you. If your pump fails your intercooler is essentially useless.

Another very good way of cooling your intake charge would be with meth injection or nitrous. I'll probably do meth with my install. Liquid intercooler FTW. hehe.

Last edited by Jack_Toepfer; 05-08-2012 at 04:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack_Toepfer For This Useful Post:
MEANSRT (05-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.