Turbo Kit!!!! - Page 5 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 SRT8 General Discussion

WK1 SRT8 General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
If you're going cheap, do it CHEAP. Chinese turbos are like 400 on eBay, universal piping kits are super cheap too, buy 2 of them. WG and BOV can come from there too. People have been building junkyard turbo kits for a decade now. If you have the resources and the knowledge and you're willing to work with cheap materials and cheap parts you could be running for 4k, no problem.

OTOH, guys driving 40k trucks don't want a $2k turbo kit blowing up their shit, or spraying oil all over the place or having cracked welds and so on. The guys on here selling kits are using premium parts and materials and tuning. I think if the jig idea was working for anyone the kits would be cheaper, but I guess that isn't feasible, so we just have to drop off the rig with a handful of cash and pick up a beast from the shop of your choice.

Good luck man.
When Harrison and I first talked about jigging the kit it sounded like a good idea because a lot of people can't send it all the way to FL. The problem you run into is that everyone wants something custom and it has been easier to just custom make every kit. As someone said earlier, every car is different. Everything can be done for cheaper, but at what cost, blowing your shit up? Like I said before, you have to pay the piper to get into the game.

As Jack said, good luck!
Stage 6 Turbocharged 6.1L Silver Jeep SRT8. PWR 419 9.5:1 built for boost/ PWR Mean Street Heads/ Ported Intake/AR 90mm/ PWR Turbo cam/ SHR Tranny/ FTI 3200 Stall Converter. Tuned by Jerseyboy 10.54 @130mph on 12 psi on stock bottom end. Stroker #'s coming soon!. Ballin on a budget!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
If you're going cheap, do it CHEAP. Chinese turbos are like 400 on eBay, universal piping kits are super cheap too, buy 2 of them. WG and BOV can come from there too. People have been building junkyard turbo kits for a decade now. If you have the resources and the knowledge and you're willing to work with cheap materials and cheap parts you could be running for 4k, no problem.

OTOH, guys driving 40k trucks don't want a $2k turbo kit blowing up their shit, or spraying oil all over the place or having cracked welds and so on. The guys on here selling kits are using premium parts and materials and tuning. I think if the jig idea was working for anyone the kits would be cheaper, but I guess that isn't feasible, so we just have to drop off the rig with a handful of cash and pick up a beast from the shop of your choice.

Good luck man.

Iím not looking to go cheap at all. This is not my first car I've moded. I have a Sti that i have dumped more than 20k into it. If I was cheap I would have bought a Durango! lol.

I have been looking into two different turbo setups and both either being Journal or Ball bearing turbos.

These prices are from a online store called ATPturbo
Garret GT4294R $2379.99
Tial EWG V60 $559.00
Tial Q BOV $260
ID injectors $800
2 walbro fuel pumps $220
and a Godspeed (ebay) intercooler $200 just because its ebay product doesnt mean in doesnt work.

Total $4418.99 just for these parts.
I know that I have to still look at the cost for material for the up and down pipe , the intercooler pipes the v band connection, hoses, filters, oil line, return line, ect. Iím working on those

the other option would be to go with the same turbo but a Journal bearing one that would cost about 1k less. The GT4294 JB is $1284.19 so now Iím at $3323.19

The third option would be going with a smaller turbo with the GT4094R Ball bearing $1747.55 and your total would be $3786.55 and of course the option of going with a Journal bearing turbo GT4088 $1095.00 that would put you at $3134

So we have Four Different prices and the only thing that changes are the trubos

GT4294R- $4418.99 + 1500 = 5918.99
GT4294- $3323.19 +1500 = 4823.19 + you installing and getting a Tune = Great Deal!
GT4094R- $3786.55 +1500 = 5286.55
GT4088- $3134 +1500 = 4634

Now an estimate of fabrication and parts for the rest of the stuff could be $1500
I know I have to take tuning into consideration but how much can a tune cost? Please chime in for a quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 AM

Also also looking into boost controllers. I'm not looking to run more than 5-6psi on my kit
Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 AM

So if you're not going cheap, you'll end up right where the guys already making kits are.

They aren't making a fortune on these things, but they have to keep the doors open.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
So if you're not going cheap, you'll end up right where the guys already making kits are.

They aren't making a fortune on these things, but they have to keep the doors open.
I wasn't planning on going ebay cheap on my 55k rig ! but i am shooting for 1-2k cheaper and it looks doable

Waiting on some parts to start the project will post pics and updates soon
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM

55k? lol. If you want to overpay you could always call Hennessey.

I was hoping to see updates when I saw you bumped this. Looking forward to it man.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Supporting Vendor
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,168 Posts
Garage
Do yourself a favor a buy a decent intercooler for God's sake. Yes they are $200 on Ebay.... and yes, they DO SUCK! They are inefficient and the pressure loss blows. We see people all the time bring those POS's into our shop. You're buying decent parts so far getting TiAL and a Garrett turbo. So why put a cheap ass POS part on it as crucial as the intercooler?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Garage
I talked to stage 6 about fabbing up all the piping, never heard back from them via email. I think stage 6 should fab up the Y piping and the full hot and cold side, sell it for a thousand bucks shipped. i know i would have already bought it. and your not ripping off their kit, i have dated plans from a couple weeks after i bought mine that was basically identical to stage 6 before i saw theirs. different turbo and a couple other things but piping set up was identical. the only custom part about their kit is the piping, not the idea.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 AM

Ya....... I think I'll stick with someone who has done this many, many, times before using top quality parts for like 1k more than what you are talking about. Installed by masters by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to kokanee13 For This Useful Post:
JerseyBoy@Stage6 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTravis View Post
I talked to stage 6 about fabbing up all the piping, never heard back from them via email. I think stage 6 should fab up the Y piping and the full hot and cold side, sell it for a thousand bucks shipped. i know i would have already bought it. and your not ripping off their kit, i have dated plans from a couple weeks after i bought mine that was basically identical to stage 6 before i saw theirs. different turbo and a couple other things but piping set up was identical. the only custom part about their kit is the piping, not the idea.
$1000? The mandrel piping alone costs more than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.