Best Cold Air Intake - Page 3 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Intake/ Exhaust Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 PM
J&D's SRT's's Avatar
J&D's SRT's J&D's SRT's is offline
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,528
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,199 Posts
I just finally bought a Volant for my wife's & IMO it is a POS!! It will soon be up for sale. The factory air intake snout that you reuse didn't fit in the hole in the box, hole was to small had to do some modifying & it don't stay put. The grill holds it in. Others have said they ran a screw through it to make it stay. So I know I'm not the only one.

Jim
__________________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 AM
rickrad's Avatar
rickrad rickrad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 241
Thanks: 11
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&D's SRT's View Post
I just finally bought a Volant for my wife's & IMO it is a POS!! It will soon be up for sale. The factory air intake snout that you reuse didn't fit in the hole in the box, hole was to small had to do some modifying & it don't stay put. The grill holds it in. Others have said they ran a screw through it to make it stay. So I know I'm not the only one.

Jim
There are those folks that really should not be working on cars. Maybe you are one? It is an aftermarket piece, it wont be a PERFECT fit. Did you remove the grille? I must say, I consider the Volant to be a super easy install, everything lined up very well, and overall fitment is as good as can be expected. Btw the air scoop didn't fit that well in the factory air box. Mine went in fine with a bit of elbow grease...it didn't snap in but all it has to do is get air to the filter. Not like it has to be epoxied in there. The ONLY improvise I had to make was using a spacer for the filter-box mounting bolt. Good luck with the next one you get.

Last edited by rickrad; 08-07-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM
firetruck's Avatar
firetruck firetruck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 203
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
All the CAI are with in 2-3 hp of each other. Some make more noise than others.
Put on a blindfold and pic one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
J&D's SRT's's Avatar
J&D's SRT's J&D's SRT's is offline
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,528
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrad View Post
There are those folks that really should not be working on cars. Maybe you are one? It is an aftermarket piece, it wont be a PERFECT fit. Did you remove the grille? I must say, I consider the Volant to be a super easy install, everything lined up very well, and overall fitment is as good as can be expected. Btw the air scoop didn't fit that well in the factory air box. Mine went in fine with a bit of elbow grease...it didn't snap in but all it has to do is get air to the filter. Not like it has to be epoxied in there. The ONLY improvise I had to make was using a spacer for the filter-box mounting bolt. Good luck with the next one you get.
Yeh I removed the grill not an idiot & have installed a Mopar CAI & a Bwoody, both of which fit perfectly by the way. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to install a CAI. All were very easy & took no time at all thats not the point. Its just a cheap POS IMO like I said.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 08-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Mongoose9400's Avatar
Mongoose9400 Mongoose9400 is offline
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,225
Thanks: 462
Thanked 667 Times in 516 Posts
I remember my Volant install on my 07. It seemed like bad fitment at first and the parts wouldn't work, but somehow it went together nicely in the end. It took a couple attempts at piecing it together before I was happy. Fit like a glove when I finished. The hardest part was getting the factory snorkel to line up correctly and seat in the Volant box. I still ran a screw thru my snorkel anyways just in case.


Sent from my iPhone 4S
__________________
Zac
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26  
Old 08-07-2012, 04:06 PM
rickrad's Avatar
rickrad rickrad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 241
Thanks: 11
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&D's SRT's View Post
Yeh I removed the grill not an idiot & have installed a Mopar CAI & a Bwoody, both of which fit perfectly by the way. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to install a CAI. All were very easy & took no time at all thats not the point. Its just a cheap POS IMO like I said.

Jim
Guess we will just agree to disagree on this, as I found the Volant to be very easy and it took very little time as well. But calling it a cheap POS, when as CAIs go, it is highly regarded....eh. It does sort of amaze me though how much interest these things get, and how people go through 2 or 3 different ones...for what exactly? They have never been shown(marketing BS aside) to add any fuel economy or more than a few HP. Hardly worth 250-300 hundred bucks. The stock unit on the SRT8 is a CAI actually. I think I did it more out of boredom one weekend, plus they do look cooler than the stock one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM
J&D's SRT's's Avatar
J&D's SRT's J&D's SRT's is offline
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,528
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,199 Posts
For me its not a matter of going through different on the same car, just trying other options. My Mopar was on my 08 & the Bwoody is/was on my other 09, don't need it with the turbo. So I decided to try the Volant on my wife's. Well I've got an AFE ordered for it now & as soon as its on the Volant will be sold.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM
J&D's SRT's's Avatar
J&D's SRT's J&D's SRT's is offline
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,528
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
I remember my Volant install on my 07. It seemed like bad fitment at first and the parts wouldn't work, but somehow it went together nicely in the end. It took a couple attempts at piecing it together before I was happy. Fit like a glove when I finished. The hardest part was getting the factory snorkel to line up correctly and seat in the Volant box. I still ran a screw thru my snorkel anyways just in case.


Sent from my iPhone 4S
I agree Zac the main box does fit in nice, hell it don't even really need bolted down its so snug. But the fact they can't even get the hole where the scoop goes even close to the right size just turned me off of their product, maybe I just got a bad one, who knows.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM
D VADER's Avatar
D VADER D VADER is offline
D VADER
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 528
Thanks: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
Best is a turbo or supercharger lol

I like Volant w/ dual snorkel mod or bwoody
That's my choice too but make sure you use the dual snorkel intakes. I pick
up cool air from the cool air brake duct. Some of the CAI's are not really
cold air as they still use hot under the hood air.

Bob
__________________
Commander Vader's Star Ship. Black on black of course.
Volant dual intake CAI, BT Catch Can, Jet 180 Thermostat. BWoody end links and Predator. 5" tips, RaceMesh rear louvers, R1 Rotors, Hawk ceramics. TruFiber Charger Hood, Mopar rear spoiler. Painted satin window trim. Nitto Motivo.
Hybrid- Burns gasoline & Rubber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM
SRT8LoveR's Avatar
SRT8LoveR SRT8LoveR is offline
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 932
Thanks: 185
Thanked 96 Times in 91 Posts
i have afe stage 2 but might switch to the arrington cai as i love the carbon fibre piping
__________________
SOLD!!
1st Grigio Telesto Jeep SRT-8

On a Mustang Dyno:
431 RWHP
412 RWTQ

Whats Next??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for the best NON cold air intake. Rez90 WK1 Intake/ Exhaust Discussion 23 01-28-2010 09:25 PM
Help With Cold Air Intake njsrt8 WK1 SRT8 General Discussion 12 12-09-2007 08:08 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
© AutoGuide