Best Cold Air Intake - Page 3 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Intake/ Exhaust Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,199 Posts
I just finally bought a Volant for my wife's & IMO it is a POS!! It will soon be up for sale. The factory air intake snout that you reuse didn't fit in the hole in the box, hole was to small had to do some modifying & it don't stay put. The grill holds it in. Others have said they ran a screw through it to make it stay. So I know I'm not the only one.

Jim

Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&D's SRT's View Post
I just finally bought a Volant for my wife's & IMO it is a POS!! It will soon be up for sale. The factory air intake snout that you reuse didn't fit in the hole in the box, hole was to small had to do some modifying & it don't stay put. The grill holds it in. Others have said they ran a screw through it to make it stay. So I know I'm not the only one.

Jim
There are those folks that really should not be working on cars. Maybe you are one? It is an aftermarket piece, it wont be a PERFECT fit. Did you remove the grille? I must say, I consider the Volant to be a super easy install, everything lined up very well, and overall fitment is as good as can be expected. Btw the air scoop didn't fit that well in the factory air box. Mine went in fine with a bit of elbow grease...it didn't snap in but all it has to do is get air to the filter. Not like it has to be epoxied in there. The ONLY improvise I had to make was using a spacer for the filter-box mounting bolt. Good luck with the next one you get.

Last edited by rickrad; 08-07-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM

All the CAI are with in 2-3 hp of each other. Some make more noise than others.
Put on a blindfold and pic one.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrad View Post
There are those folks that really should not be working on cars. Maybe you are one? It is an aftermarket piece, it wont be a PERFECT fit. Did you remove the grille? I must say, I consider the Volant to be a super easy install, everything lined up very well, and overall fitment is as good as can be expected. Btw the air scoop didn't fit that well in the factory air box. Mine went in fine with a bit of elbow grease...it didn't snap in but all it has to do is get air to the filter. Not like it has to be epoxied in there. The ONLY improvise I had to make was using a spacer for the filter-box mounting bolt. Good luck with the next one you get.
Yeh I removed the grill not an idiot & have installed a Mopar CAI & a Bwoody, both of which fit perfectly by the way. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to install a CAI. All were very easy & took no time at all thats not the point. Its just a cheap POS IMO like I said.

Jim
Old 08-07-2012, 03:43 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

I remember my Volant install on my 07. It seemed like bad fitment at first and the parts wouldn't work, but somehow it went together nicely in the end. It took a couple attempts at piecing it together before I was happy. Fit like a glove when I finished. The hardest part was getting the factory snorkel to line up correctly and seat in the Volant box. I still ran a screw thru my snorkel anyways just in case.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Old 08-07-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&D's SRT's View Post
Yeh I removed the grill not an idiot & have installed a Mopar CAI & a Bwoody, both of which fit perfectly by the way. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to install a CAI. All were very easy & took no time at all thats not the point. Its just a cheap POS IMO like I said.

Jim
Guess we will just agree to disagree on this, as I found the Volant to be very easy and it took very little time as well. But calling it a cheap POS, when as CAIs go, it is highly regarded....eh. It does sort of amaze me though how much interest these things get, and how people go through 2 or 3 different ones...for what exactly? They have never been shown(marketing BS aside) to add any fuel economy or more than a few HP. Hardly worth 250-300 hundred bucks. The stock unit on the SRT8 is a CAI actually. I think I did it more out of boredom one weekend, plus they do look cooler than the stock one.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

For me its not a matter of going through different on the same car, just trying other options. My Mopar was on my 08 & the Bwoody is/was on my other 09, don't need it with the turbo. So I decided to try the Volant on my wife's. Well I've got an AFE ordered for it now & as soon as its on the Volant will be sold.

Jim
Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
I remember my Volant install on my 07. It seemed like bad fitment at first and the parts wouldn't work, but somehow it went together nicely in the end. It took a couple attempts at piecing it together before I was happy. Fit like a glove when I finished. The hardest part was getting the factory snorkel to line up correctly and seat in the Volant box. I still ran a screw thru my snorkel anyways just in case.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
I agree Zac the main box does fit in nice, hell it don't even really need bolted down its so snug. But the fact they can't even get the hole where the scoop goes even close to the right size just turned me off of their product, maybe I just got a bad one, who knows.

Jim
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM
D VADER
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
Best is a turbo or supercharger lol

I like Volant w/ dual snorkel mod or bwoody
That's my choice too but make sure you use the dual snorkel intakes. I pick
up cool air from the cool air brake duct. Some of the CAI's are not really
cold air as they still use hot under the hood air.

Bob
Volant dual intake CAI, BT Catch Can, Jet 180 Thermostat. BWoody end links and Predator. 5" tips, RaceMesh rear louvers, R1 Rotors, Hawk ceramics. TruFiber Charger Hood, Mopar rear spoiler. Painted satin window trim. Nitto Motivo.
Hybrid- Burns gasoline & Rubber
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

i have afe stage 2 but might switch to the arrington cai as i love the carbon fibre piping

On a Mustang Dyno:
431 RWHP
412 RWTQ

Whats Next??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.