WK2 Only-Ski Racks? - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 General Discussion

WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Hey I noticed the front windshield tint strip. Can I get some more pics? What % you have for it? I've been debating doing one.

Sent from my iPad 3G
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
Hey I noticed the front windshield tint strip. Can I get some more pics? What % you have for it? I've been debating doing one.

Sent from my iPad 3G
I don't have any better photos at the moment. What I can tell you as far as the tint % is that it is the same that I used on the side windows which matches the OEM tinting in the rear.

Hope that helps.

2012 GC SRT8
2010 Ford F350 Diesel
2008 Porsche 911 Turbo
Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricorp View Post
Here are some photos with the factory side rails and Thule Crossbars installed.

Installation while seeming straightforward is not; in order to make sure there are no leaks.

You cannot just simply screw on the factory side rails as it will leave a gap underneath which will allow water to leak down into the headliner through the screw holes (I learned this on my 2007).

There are different factory nutserts that need to be used but are impossible to change with the ones that come on the SRT8. Therefore you need to come up with a way to seal each screw hole underneath the rack itself in order to stay dry.

Now just to add the trailer hitch and harness and it will be a real truck!
MRI -

Pleeease help us over at jeep garage dot com - everyone seems to think this process is impossible and you're going to drill into your airbags , yadda yadda

1) Do you mind sharing what the dealer charged on these factory side rails?
2) You still have those part numbers?
3) Can you go into a little more detail on your process please as far as installation goes and possible get us some better pictures
Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned8e View Post

Pleeease help us over at jeep garage dot com
F that place.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
F that place.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Ok , real nice response. I don't take sides to any forums all I honestly care about is a solution to a ridiculous problem.

If anyone has any positive feedback to this issue - please let me know
Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 PM

I was watching the below video and had to know what roof rack was being used...

After a little searching it seems that Thule has the '480R Rapid Traverse Foot Pack' , which is made for naked roofs. http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...rse-Foot-Pack#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGg...e_gdata_player

I personally really like the look and it prevents having to drill.
What do you guys think of this solution...

Sent from The Nexus 4
*Debadged | Black Reflective Hitch Insert | Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof | Billet Technology Catch Can & Accesories | Injen Intake | LED Interior Swap | LED Puddle/Entry Lighting | Lower Grill Badge | Tint | 6000K Headlights | 3000K Foglights | Eibach Lowering Springs | QTP Electronic Cutouts | Headlight DRL Mod | Borla S-Type*
Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 PM

Other manufacturers exist as well...
http://www.roofrackforcars.com/roof-...e---Black-Bars

Sent from The Nexus 4
Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
I was watching the below video and had to know what roof rack was being used...

After a little searching it seems that Thule has the '480R Rapid Traverse Foot Pack' , which is made for naked roofs. http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...rse-Foot-Pack#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGg...e_gdata_player

I personally really like the look and it prevents having to drill.
What do you guys think of this solution...

Sent from The Nexus 4
Hi - first post to this forum - been trying to find a "genuine" solution to this issue for some time as well - even more complicated as I am in Australia and SRT and Mopar America havent bothered responding - i sent a link to the autoweek story and Mopar Australia responded that they do hav a "new" solution though I havent seen it yet. Not particularly interested in putting Grand Cherokee rails on my SRT - and have to plug holes etc whilst not being sure there are enough bolts holding it down whilst carrying, surfboards, sailboards, mountain bikes etc - skis are probably not such a big deal.

Anyway - there is a Mopar number for the racks in the autoweek article - described as being provided by Mopar /Thule - it is a roof edge grab system and is pretty chunky/ugly - though this could be a good thing as it does mean I wont leave it on the car too long between uses. It is a non standard part and NOT available through Thule dealers in Australia.

Not sure on putting up vendors web sites here -PM me if you cant find just with the part number - Google seems to pick the two places I found them. now if only they would post to Australia.

Mopar Item # TR486056

Chhers WK2SRT8OZ
Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk2srt8oz View Post
it is a roof edge grab system and is pretty chunky/ugly - though this could be a good thing as it does mean I wont leave it on the car too long between uses. It is a non standard part and NOT available through Thule dealers in Australia.

Not sure on putting up vendors web sites here -PM me if you cant find just with the part number - Google seems to pick the two places I found them. now if only they would post to Australia.

Mopar Item # TR486056

Chhers WK2SRT8OZ
They gave us that "solution" in the states too... It's literally a universal cross bar system that pinches the door frames.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 AM

Roof Racks

I have used the pinch type in the past and they have been okay - just ugly. This is probably how I will go - if I can get it rom the States - $315 plus say $100 postage. The price in Australia is $715 even though our $ is higher than yours at present........

Of course the right solution would be to have a SRT8 specific roof rack rail that could bolt on using the existing roof rail fixing points.........

What are you going to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.