SRT8 Tow Hitches - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 SRT8 General Discussion

WK1 SRT8 General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:44 PM

SRT8 Tow Hitches

Hi guys.... Im looking for some good info on tow hitches for my Jeep. I have recently purchased a 2006 SRT8 Jeep which i have fitted a Borla Touring exhaust. Im now looking for a tow hitch which I can fit without altering the beautifully crafted exhaust system. Im of the understanding that the standard Grand Cherokee tow hitch will fit but exhausts have to be modified. I have had a quick look round and there seem to be some hidden hitches advertised. Has anyone out there had any experiences with them and is there a reputable brand that fits as advertised and has a good towing capacity. Thanks for your comments in advance. Cheers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 PM

congrats on your SRT. don't know anything about tow hitches but IMO you shouldn't tow with this jeep
Old 01-27-2012, 12:07 AM

No tow

Why shouldnt I tow with this Jeep ???
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 AM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,199 Posts
Haven't you heard the WK1 can't tow, you gotta get a WK2 with the noncenter exhaust. Lol

J/K there's plenty of tow option threads on here if you search a bit.

Congrats & welcome

Jim
Old 01-27-2012, 01:29 AM

Ok I need to understand this...... The WK1 cant tow because the rear subframe is not strong enough or is the Exhaust system the inhibiting factor??.
The reason im asking is there are at least 4 x SRT8 Jeeps in my town with tow bars on them, fitted by Armstrong Prestige who are the NZ importers of Chrysler/Jeep.
They have re-routed the exhaust system to accomodate the tow hitch but im trying to find a system which still lets me have a centre exhaust system......
Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

The Jeep SRT8 is rated to tow 3500lbs from the factory. Mopar sells a hitch for the Jeep SRT8. There are a lot of custom options guys have done. Search Kramsey Hitch for some ideas.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3651

Sent from my iPhone 4S
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 01-27-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 AM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,199 Posts
Yes your 06 Jeep SRT can tow just fine. You'll pick up on the reference I made in due time, sorry for any confusion. Like I said there are a lot options owners have done. One even has it coming through the bumper above the exhaust & with the plug they made in it you can't even hardly tell its there.

Jim
Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 AM
Elite Contributing Member

I have a kramsay style hitch and a Borla. The hitch is in the garage because it doesn't work as designed with the Borla.

The Jeep tows great.

I'll get the hitch modified and back on to work with the Borla.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 AM

Either one of the Mopar exhausts works just fine. The only issue is that the wiring harness and chains will get hot and can melt from the exhaust. I made an extension harness so that the original harness is protected. There is a grommet in the center of the rear trunk area that you can come up through with the car wiring. Then use the extension and run out the back hatch. Try and route the harness as far away from the path of the exhaust so you don't melt it. There are both Class I and Class II hitches available. They do pass above the exhaust without modifying the hangers in any way. I always purchased an 1 1/4" to 2" converter to bring the receiver even further away from the exhaust. Also, they have a small chain extension mount available from etrailer.com that will give you safety chain hangers that actually mounts underneath the ball when you tighten it down. This way you don't have to reach near the exhaust. Hope this helps. It works great for me.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,147 Posts
Garage
Here is a few pics of the MOPAR hitch with Mopar exhaust and bumper off.

Chad (06 Inferno Red GC SRT8) PWR 6.3L, PWR Apache Heads, Stage6 76 mm Turbo, Stage6 Fuel Pump, SHR NAG1-HTCr, PI 2400 TQ Converter, ATI Flex Plate, BC Coil Overs, Wilwood TC6R calipers, Kooks Headers, Mopar exhaust, MM 85mm T-body, Jerseyboy CMR, Bwoody Sway Links, R1 Concepts F Slot & Dimp, R StopTech Pads, Earls Trans Cooler, TLS Rear Fog Harness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.