2012 Jeep SRT8 or 2007 ML63 AMG - Page 8 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 General Discussion

WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Similar to you, I was looking at other rides as well 2012 srt8 jeep, Ml63amg, x5m, cayenne turbo etc (All Used). When I visited those forums to find out more about the vehicles and to get help on various questions, the responses were less than satisfactory and in many cases no response at all..Even when I used the search button there was very very limited information on those rides in terms of problems and modding the vehicles. On this forum however, there is a lot of access to good information and people willing to answer multiple questions, the cost of basic maintenance too was a major deterrent, so that made the buying decision easy. In the end though I did not go with the 2012 jeep because of the time it will take for them to be able to tune it how I want to, and the learning curve involved in doing modifications properly which can be several years to iron out the bugs. The price did not make sense on a jeep and there is a lot of room for devaluation should I decide to sell for some reason and it is never wise to be the guinea pig on a first year vehicle. I will wait with what I have a see what happens in the future.

If it's Cheap and Reliable it aint Fast
If it's Cheap and Fast it aint Reliable
If it's Fast and Reliable it aint Cheap

Last edited by SPEEDDEMON; 12-27-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDDEMON View Post
the cost of basic maintenance too was a major deterrent, so that made the buying decision easy.
I must admit that this did and does still scare me a bit. As a result, I bought what I thought was a fairly comprehensive 4 year warranty with coast to coast auto warranty, but the real test is going to be the first time something goes a bit south. Fingers crossed.

And 4 years down the road, if I can't get any more warranty (which I doubt I will be able to), it will be on to the next object of lust. It is stuff like buying a fast ride that makes the trudge back and forth to work worth it at the end of the day.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:26 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyukon View Post
I agree. Problem is that I am old, salt and pepper hair, and in the last 3rd of my working life (aka prime earning years). Oddly enough, the two places with Mercedes had no problem letting me take the AMGs for a long test without asking if I was serious or not.

And guess what I am driving now....

But upon reflection, the dealer's tactics don't make much sense any way you look at it as the young, led footed goofballs are likley in on their weekoff from the Oil Patch in Northern Alberta, and they make 200-300k or more per year with a grade 10 education cuz the patch is booming. So an epic fail in this dealer's case no matter what the vintage of the customer.

Their two Black SRT8s are still collecting dust on their lot. Good on them.
Couldn't agree with you more. They could have, at least, let you test drive it with a rep in the car with you. A 5-10mi test wouldn't hurt anything. If the majority of my day was spent standing in the cold, waiting on someone to drive onto the lot to test drive a new srt-8 or any vehicle for that matter, I'd be all over ANYBODY that wanted to look at a new SRT-8 line. Chrysler is not winning if their reps and dealerships are being a$$hats about letting, potential, customers test drive these vehicles. Many are not going to spend $70k if they cannot drive a vehicle to see if it is the right fit for them. Exotic sport car are a different story. If the rep would have taken the time and asked you about your vehicle needs, he would have uncovered that you were looking at one other vehicle in particular. Instead, he wanted to be the "cool guy" revving the vehicle and quoting a few random facts that he had read about. Furthermore, things you already know about. This, in the end, was a complete turnoff for you and you left, went to the other dealership where you got a much better customer experience, and drove off in the vehicle that fit you. If this conversation would have taken place, he probably would have handed you the keys and said, "go for it." This thread may have had a different outcome. We would be introducing a new SRT-8 owner. I guess they don't teach those selling skills anymore. In the end, i'm glad you got what you wanted and you are satisfied. As I said before, you have one helluva vehicle! Enjoy!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Wk2 imo...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyronSRT8@TTCreations View Post
Wk2 imo...
Happy new year everyone. It has been a year now so thought I would report back in.

I am considering trading in the ml63 and trying to get a 2013 jeep srt8. I have been far from impressed with the reliability of my "supposedly certified pre-owned" ml63. Thank god I purchased extended warranty - I had to replace a transfer case and a throttle position sensor within the first 6 months. Then I ended having to get the rear hatch bolts drilled out and replaced after one broke, due to rust!

At any rate, I am terrified now of life after warranty. So will see if I can find a dealer in the province to dance with. Just curious how others in Canada have made out this past year with actually getting a vehicle, and further, have the prices come down at all?

Cheers

Derrick
The Following User Says Thank You to scyukon For This Useful Post:
yaccster (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 AM
JEEP SRT since 2006
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Happy new year everyone. It has been a year now so thought I would report back in.

I am considering trading in the ml63 and trying to get a 2013 jeep srt8. I have been far from impressed with the reliability of my "supposedly certified pre-owned" ml63. Thank god I purchased extended warranty - I had to replace a transfer case and a throttle position sensor within the first 6 months. Then I ended having to get the rear hatch bolts drilled out and replaced after one broke, due to rust!

At any rate, I am terrified now of life after warranty. So will see if I can find a dealer in the province to dance with. Just curious how others in Canada have made out this past year with actually getting a vehicle, and further, have the prices come down at all?

Cheers

Derrick

If you can tough it out, the '14s are literally just around the corner to order.
2012 GJC SRT/8 #666 of 3166 in the USA. 513 in Mineral Gray, Ordered 6/7/11 Delivered 11/29/11 1/4 Mile @ 1000 miles - 13.134@104.79MPH
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaccster View Post
If you can tough it out, the '14s are literally just around the corner to order.
Tough call. The dealers up here don't get many in. I understand from a quick scan of the board that more gears and a remote chance of a supercharger are in store for the 2014's? So may be worth the wait indeed.

I phoned on a dealership last night and the salesman alerted me that there was an offer pending on one that just came in yesterday, but it likely would not be accepted as it was only 2k over msrp. So if they are still selling for 72-74k then I will be waiting for quite a while.

Thanks for the intel.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Tough call. The dealers up here don't get many in. I understand from a quick scan of the board that more gears and a remote chance of a supercharger are in store for the 2014's? So may be worth the wait indeed.

I phoned on a dealership last night and the salesman alerted me that there was an offer pending on one that just came in yesterday, but it likely would not be accepted as it was only 2k over msrp. So if they are still selling for 72-74k then I will be waiting for quite a while.

Thanks for the intel.
I picked mine up as a new/used over in Ontario. The owner of the dealership was using it for his vehicle. So I figured it was well cared for. I picked it up with almost 10,000 Kms on it. I unfortunately had the lovely 13% Ontario tax on it which brought me up to just over 60k out the door. I've been very pleased with it so far.

Having pit almost 8,000 Kms on it in about a month, I've only run into one problem, and that's the front bumper skin peeling a bit. That is half my fault and half the shitty clips in the bumper. I purposely drove into deeper snow to see how the snow mode worked on the truck and was very pleased. The bumper however was not.

I owned a BMW before this, and am not finding it a hard change, the build quality isn't far off, it definitely is American though, and that's not a bad thing.

I built up a 400 wheel horsepower BMW 135 with all M3 suspension tuning, and with all honesty,the stock srt8 doesn't feel far off from the handling, yes it pushes a bit more on on-ramps, but it's also 1800lbs heavier, so no surprise. The stability control seems a bit more dim witted, but that might be the AWD making those differences.

I am pleased with the truck, I haven't had buyers remorse.

Buying a 2012 scared me a bit as its first year production, but all service bulletins have already been done and such, so I'm not having any early problems others may have experienced.

There is a chance I will be moving to your part of Canada in the next couple months, and if I do, and you still haven't made a move on a different car yet, I'd be happy to let you take mine for a rip. (time will tell what happens, flying to Vancouver Monday to check a few things out before any commitments are made)

Every time I take a passenger they are always pleasantly surprised by the new build quality dodge has put into their vehicles, "I can't believe this is a dodge!" "Wow, so much leather", "great seats!" And etc.

Anyways, hope I was a bit helpful. I feel confident in the truck, but I also have a dealer with a really good reputation near by, so that helps.

Good luck, and keep us up to date!
The Following User Says Thank You to loud8 For This Useful Post:
scyukon (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 AM

Oh, and one more thing, I wish the 8 speed had made it in these, that's my only complaint, however, the 5 speed seems decent, and once you've reset it to learn your driving style, it gets a lot better.
The Following User Says Thank You to loud8 For This Useful Post:
scyukon (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 AM

Thanks Loud8 that is indeed very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.