2012 Jeep SRT8 or 2007 ML63 AMG - Page 5 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 General Discussion

WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Informative day and a frustrating day. Went to a Mercedes dealer and a Jeep dealer, and also heard from my dealer. In order

Drove another 07ML AMG, this one black. Had more bells and whistles than yesterday's version (DVD's in headrest, and backup camera) but was black (not my fav, vs Silver yesterday) and did not have snow tires (required up here with that type of hp).

All in with a 2 year bumper to bumper extended warranty, and third year powertrain, was around 56k plus 5% tax. So around 58k. Something to work from.

Went to dealer with only two SRT8's in town. Played dumb like I did not know they were asking 82.9k (and 75k for a US version, with no warranty!). They would not even let me drive it, as they did not want to mile it up. Got to listen to it and sit in it. When Sales Manager told me the price, and that bottom line was 80k, I told him there was no way I would pay 80k for a Jeep, and that I doubted anyone would. He is confident they will, so good luck to him.

He also alerted me that there will be (in his opinion), no more Jeep SRT8s in Western Canada for at least 4 months. I told him I doubted that, but I am no longer certain, especially given the message my dealership sent to me today when I called to inquire about VIN status. Check this nonsense message out:

Hey Derrick,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I completely forgot to send you the VON after the last time we spoke. The VON is 25632935. I just finished speaking with my Dad and I guess Chrysler is trying to keep production of these to an absolute minimum and not flood the market with them like they did the previous ones. They are trying to maintain the resale value which will benefit you in the long run. Unfortunately that means that we are stuck waiting. He did mention that you are now second in line to receive yours from our store. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we some progress right away for you.

I feel like such a sucker for giving them $1000 back in August when they knew these vehicles would take forever to come in!

At any rate, if anyone has any magic tricks to find out a VIN from a VON, please share then with me. Chrysler Canada was no help. The dealer referred me to them, and they referred me back to the dealer. Friggin joke.

Off to the BMW dealer tomorrow......Good luck me!

Last edited by scyukon; 12-22-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Depends what you want.

both of them are not THAT big SUV so you still may have some fitting issue if you are big
scyukon (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccocafe View Post
Depends what you want.

both of them are not THAT big SUV so you still may have some fitting issue if you are big
I have sat in both now and happy to report they fit me well. Other issue is headroom, but no problem with either.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Elite Contributing Member

If you want an grey 2012 SRT Jeep for real. They have one here in Kelowna. They will take 68K for it and I bet you could get it better than that. I have all the info if you want it. Just let me know and I will PM it too you. I know the boys well down there.
The Following User Says Thank You to kokanee13 For This Useful Post:
scyukon (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Major Contributing Member

I wear a 54 extra long suit an have no problem driving my wk1.

- Keith
Old 12-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokanee13 View Post
If you want an grey 2012 SRT Jeep for real. They have one here in Kelowna. They will take 68K for it and I bet you could get it better than that. I have all the info if you want it. Just let me know and I will PM it too you. I know the boys well down there.
Yes please, send it along in a PM.

Thanks

D

edit. Sold already. When I watched this video I got the SRT8 fever all over again. I think I was ready to go 65k for this one (video on main page)

http://www.kelownachrysler.com/

I talked with the gent on page, Peter Irvine, and he explained to me just how few of these are actually being built for Canadian dealers. I could have misheard, but it was either 6 per month, or ??? and with over 400 Canadian dealers, gonna be a huge wait methinks! EBAY?????

Last edited by scyukon; 12-22-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEight View Post
I wear a 54 extra long suit an have no problem driving my wk1.

- Keith
Sadly I am not "extra long"..... 5'11, 295. Weiner dog body, long torso, stubby legs and arms.

Last edited by scyukon; 12-22-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Major Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyukon View Post
Sadly I am not "extra long"..... 5'11, 295. Weiner dog body, long torso, stubby legs and arms.
Your funny bro......lol

I'm 6'6" 275 and really it's the headroom that's tough for me

- Keith
Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Coksmith&Master-Pintsman
Lifetime Premium Member

Considering the stock WK2 and WK1 are pretty much identical in speed, the ML63 AMG would be the way to go if you could get one in the 50s. They are faster than the Jeep past the 1/4 mile tick, not quite as much grunt off the line but they fly right by after 100mph.

Aftermarket warranties are cheap, get one, you wont have to worry about replacement costs. The 3/36 runs out on any chrysler product anyways after 2 years of normal driving, and the service is CRAP, but thats chrysler for you. Also, you're going to lose $30,000 in depreciation off the Chrysler in 3 years when you go to trade it in, you won't lose that much off the ML63.

* 2006 WK1 JEEP SRT8 (THE FIRST) TURBO BUILD, 743AWHP/860AWTQ *SOLD*
__CREDITS: S6 Motorsports, Paramount, AJ Hemituner, Johan, LPM Engines
* 2013 WK2 JEEP SRT8 ALPINE (STOCK, DAILY DRIVER)

*If any vendor would like to sponsor my WK2 build, please PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to navyavi469 For This Useful Post:
m4xm1l10n (12-22-2011), scyukon (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyavi469 View Post
Considering the stock WK2 and WK1 are pretty much identical in speed, the ML63 AMG would be the way to go if you could get one in the 50s. They are faster than the Jeep past the 1/4 mile tick, not quite as much grunt off the line but they fly right by after 100mph.

Aftermarket warranties are cheap, get one, you wont have to worry about replacement costs. The 3/36 runs out on any chrysler product anyways after 2 years of normal driving, and the service is CRAP, but thats chrysler for you. Also, you're going to lose $30,000 in depreciation off the Chrysler in 3 years when you go to trade it in, you won't lose that much off the ML63.
As this busy day of research draws to a close (and once again thanks to EVERYONE who has weighed in - you will never know how much you have informed my thinking with your experiences) I am reaching the following conclusions:

1. I am not going to get my Jeep until spring or summer.
2. I really would like one, but now I am pissed on principle at what Jeep is doing, limiting production to Canada.
3. This principle annoyance is starting to dominate my thinking.
4. There are cheaper alternatives that I will likely be very happy with (read the silver AMG).

I got the info from the dealer re extended warranties today. It is not a benz dealer, but an independent shop specialing in high end bmws and benzs. They recomend using this company:

http://www.coasttocoast.ca/Mechanica...Protection.asp

The note from the business manager gave me this pricing:

Hello Derrick,
As discussed, below are 3 extended protection options.
Refer to the Optima New plan of the attached chart.
1. 24 months/unlimited kms, $2,988 + gst.
2. 36 months/60,000 kms on top of current kms, $3,337 + gst.
3. 48 months/80,000 kms on top of current kms, $3,948 + gst.
All plans include zero deductible and a $5,000 per claim limit. If the claim is over $5,000, I can .......
Also, these plans can be honored at any certified service facility of your choice, anywhere in North America.
For further questions, don't hesitate to give me a call.

I think I will go for the 48 month/80000km option for $4g.

RE pricing, they are asking 49,999 + GST. My wholesale and resale research for Alberta indicates an average wholesale price of 40,400, and and average retail of 44,750. I think I am going to offer them 46,000, plus the chance for financing (if they can beat my banks rate), and then the 4 year warranty for another 4k, and I am into a hot unit for 50k if all works out, with plenty of warranty.

Good job Jeep. I have been working for 21 years, have 13 left to work before retirement, and will make about 3 times more in the next 13 peak earning years (God willing) than I will have in the first 21. Way to piss off the folks who would have happily forked over 60k+.

Sorry for the whining (I would like some cheese with that whine please), but it has been a long day, and as I am a wee bit OCD, this is not gonna stop until I get some new wheels ASAP. Vacations are a dangerous thing for me, last summer I ended up buying 2 newer vehicles (well only 1 was ever builit ), so spare time is not good for my disposable income!

Night all, will update tomorrow.

And thanks for the help.

D

Last edited by scyukon; 12-22-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.