Just Passed Pa. Emissions with Stainless Works Headers - Page 4 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Major Contributing Member

Kudos to you, Rmon. This and BuilderBill's experience seems to affirm that this is the only reliable way to make headers and the O2 sensors happy for the '07 and up crowd. Subscribed, and looking to do headers in the future.
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,095 Times in 894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmon View Post
Thanks man. You'll love the set up. It's about a 15-20 min swap for the mid pipes on jack stands. Really easy. With the off road mids the the beast barks when you start it up and rumbles around town, and WOT is sick. But it never drones like some other set ups. To me it was like turning up a good music.
Anytime bro!! Yeah looking forward to more Bark at WOT!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmon View Post
I have 1 7/8" headers and a Corsa cat back and I gained torque everywhere in the power band with my set up. If you have flat spots, your getting O2 error codes and have one black tailpipe you might want to think about replacing one or more of your O2 sensors especially since you've had a bunch of different exhaust combinations. At the very least check the side of the black tailpipe you might have a sensor that's loose. I replaced mine at 22K and was surprised how much better the car runs with the new O2 sensors.
Well, the dumb thing is I havent put the extensions on or put johans rear delete tune in yet so I think the sensors are just picking up ambient air right now. Hell I dont even know where they are after all the work I've had done. I'll put the tune in tonight and get the extensions and hopefully that clears up the codes and running rich. If not I'll check the sensors. Thanks for the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
Well, the dumb thing is I havent put the extensions on or put johans rear delete tune in yet so I think the sensors are just picking up ambient air right now. Hell I dont even know where they are after all the work I've had done. I'll put the tune in tonight and get the extensions and hopefully that clears up the codes and running rich. If not I'll check the sensors. Thanks for the advice.
I can tell you from experience that you can't run a tune in our application without rear O2 sensors connected even with the rear O2 sensors turned off. Johan and I tried every combination that he had on my Jeep with the off road mid pipe rear bungs plugged and it set codes every time. Your gunna see 0038/58 and 0138/58 either right at start up or after 5 to 50 miles. I had to buy rear O2 sensors for my off road pipes and connect them to run the tune with the rear O2's turned off. With the rear O2 sensors installed I now have about 600+ miles on my catless set up without setting any codes.

Vortech V3, Paramount transmission, and TCM, Dominator convertor, Stage 6 fuel hat, Inertia cam, StainlessWorks LTH, Wavetrac LSD, Modified Magnaflow Cat Back, Modern Muscle ported intake, Arrington 85mm TB, Tuned by Mike at OST

PB 11.56@118.3
street tune, full weight, all season tires, 93 octane
The Following User Says Thank You to rmon For This Useful Post:
mcopare (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM

Jeezuz, seriously? So with cats in my midpipe I need 24" extensions installed for the rear O2's, and extensions for the front O2s as well ? I dont know where these things are in the stock locations. Whats the point of tuning out the rears if you still get a code ?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
Jeezuz, seriously? So with cats in my midpipe I need 24" extensions installed for the rear O2's, and extensions for the front O2s as well ? I dont know where these things are in the stock locations. Whats the point of tuning out the rears if you still get a code ?
My impression is that turning off the rear O2 sensors eliminates their feedback to the PCM so that they don't "see" parameters outside of their specified guideliines. Eliminating them shows what is essentially an "open" circuit that HAL doesn't like and unfortunately it can't be tuned out. Maybe an expert can chime in with opinions and/or a better explanation.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 PM

Nice job man good to hear everything worked out
Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

Hey Rich,

When you get a chance can you list the exact parts that you used to make the stock cat easily interchangable?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,153 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
Hey Rich,

When you get a chance can you list the exact parts that you used to make the stock cat easily interchangable?

Thanks!
Jose, until you get rid of the two front codes you will not pass. You need to get those sensors closer to the exhaust stream.
Chad (06 Inferno Red GC SRT8) PWR 6.3L, PWR Apache Heads, Stage6 76 mm Turbo, Stage6 Fuel Pump, SHR NAG1-HTCr, PI 2400 TQ Converter, ATI Flex Plate, BC Coil Overs, Wilwood TC6R calipers, Kooks Headers, Mopar exhaust, MM 85mm T-body, Jerseyboy CMR, Bwoody Sway Links, R1 Concepts F Slot & Dimp, R StopTech Pads, Earls Trans Cooler, TLS Rear Fog Harness
Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmn1 View Post
Jose, until you get rid of the two front codes you will not pass. You need to get those sensors closer to the exhaust stream.
Yeah I know what you mean, but at this point everything is worth a shot because I only have 2 more weeks left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.