Just Passed Pa. Emissions with Stainless Works Headers - Page 3 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 PM
rmon's Avatar
rmon rmon is offline
Senior Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Presto Pa
Posts: 659
Thanks: 16
Thanked 78 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandm3 View Post
Nice!!! That is awesome!!!
Thanks man. I appreciate the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntdysf View Post
Nice Job. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. Hope it helps out anyone with inspection issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNKID View Post
Very nice and congrats for finally passing inspection with headers.
What year is your Jeep?
So basically anyone that has headers and mid pipes with stock cats will not get a CEL?
Man... this issue about not passing inspection have been holding me back in getting headers for so long...
Has anyone else done this before with a different brand of headers?
Thanks for all the valuable info.
Your welcome. My Jeep is an 08 but I can't see why it wouldn't be the same for all years and for any header system. Just different fabrication. The O2 sensors are going to see the correct back pressure so that seems to be the critical issue. My O2 sensors need replaced and I'm still "ready".


Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySRT8 View Post
Congrats on passing.

I live in Johnstown, PA Cambria county.

They only do visual testing and do not do the ODBI port test where I live.
Your lucky Tony. Allegheny county is definitely not progressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBoy@Stage6 View Post
Congrats on getting through inspection. I remember someone else mentioning that people should try the stock cats just like that a while ago but I can't remember who that was....





J
Thanks Joel. Yeah it took me being out of inspection seven months to get me movin on this. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoecke View Post
How much difference, power wise does putting headers on using stock cats really make?
IMHO the combination is what's important. You can feel the torque of headers with a good tune but opening up the intake side really adds a lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSpecial View Post
Congrats on passing with headers.









Yeah, you have been talking about doing it for over a year....which I was waiting on and finally gave up, LOL.
Thanks. After seven months I was starting to get worried myself. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitass View Post
I know I brought it up at one point in the past! Just didn't have the money/balls to give it a shot. Glad it worked for you, now I can't wait to try! Nice job.






Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide App
Thanks.The guys that will benefit the most are the guys buying headers. Now they can just buy the off road mid pipes and fab the stock cats. My cost was about $500 in parts and labor but buying non-catted LT headers saves roughly $300 off of that.
__________________
Rich




Vortech V3, Paramount transmission, and TCM, Dominator (low stall) convertor, Stage 6 fuel hat, Inertia cam, StainlessWorks LTH, Wavetrac LSD, Modified Magnaflow CB, Modern Muscle ported intake, Arrington 85mm TB, Tuned by Mike at OST

PB 11.56@118.3
street tune, full weight, all season tires, 93 octane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 PM
rmon's Avatar
rmon rmon is offline
Senior Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Presto Pa
Posts: 659
Thanks: 16
Thanked 78 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoecke View Post
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking the stock cats are the biggest source of back pressure so just sticking them on the end of the headers is great for passing emissions but the bottleneck is still there no?
Bottleneck? What bottleneck?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0244.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	17536 Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0243.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	17537

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0245.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	17538 Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0246.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	17539

These will be working with a Vortec setup soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Knuckles's Avatar
Knuckles Knuckles is online now
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagorilla!!
Posts: 16,338
Thanks: 2,349
Thanked 954 Times in 781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmon View Post
Bottleneck? What bottleneck?

Attachment 17536 Attachment 17537

Attachment 17538 Attachment 17539

These will be working with a Vortec setup soon.
Hey Rich,

So how many miles do you have on this setup and how has it been working for you?

Thanks!
__________________
Knuckles
Mods: Bwoody CAI/FRI Lil boy Cam/ SW Headers/CORSA exhaust/SLP UD Pulley/Black Ops Autoworks Ported Intake Manny/90MM TB/ Johan aka Diablotoona Custom Tune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM
rmon's Avatar
rmon rmon is offline
Senior Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Presto Pa
Posts: 659
Thanks: 16
Thanked 78 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
Hey Rich,

So how many miles do you have on this setup and how has it been working for you?

Thanks!
Jose

I ran the set up with the "old" O2 sensors for about 2500 miles and it always went into "ready" in about 40-50 miles and stayed that way for 100+ miles. Then I would get a CEL which I could clear and repeat the process. The codes were mainly the "slow response" ones that need multiple "trips" to cause a CEL. Even with the "old" O2's it was still workable for inspection/emissions because it gave me 100+ miles after being "ready". They don't have a problem with the stored codes only with the CEL. I replaced all four of my O2 sensors and drove that set up for about 500 miles with no codes or CELs. So I think it's safe to say that with good sensors it works fine. (As a side note my car seems to run a lot better since I replaced the O2 sensors. (which was around 22k.) ) So all in all it looks like a workable setup and was money well spent. Right now I'm running the off road pipes that I had fabbedup . I tried eliminating the rear O2 sensors all together and just plugging the bungs but Johan and I couldn't get that to work. Johan was gratious enough to work with me and provided me with four different tunes each with a different "tweek" but nothing seems to work for our applications. So it looks like you have to run rear O2's in our Jeeps even if they are turned "off."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Knuckles's Avatar
Knuckles Knuckles is online now
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagorilla!!
Posts: 16,338
Thanks: 2,349
Thanked 954 Times in 781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmon View Post
Jose

I ran the set up with the "old" O2 sensors for about 2500 miles and it always went into "ready" in about 40-50 miles and stayed that way for 100+ miles. Then I would get a CEL which I could clear and repeat the process. The codes were mainly the "slow response" ones that need multiple "trips" to cause a CEL. Even with the "old" O2's it was still workable for inspection/emissions because it gave me 100+ miles after being "ready". They don't have a problem with the stored codes only with the CEL. I replaced all four of my O2 sensors and drove that set up for about 500 miles with no codes or CELs. So I think it's safe to say that with good sensors it works fine. (As a side note my car seems to run a lot better since I replaced the O2 sensors. (which was around 22k.) ) So all in all it looks like a workable setup and was money well spent. Right now I'm running the off road pipes that I had fabbedup . I tried eliminating the rear O2 sensors all together and just plugging the bungs but Johan and I couldn't get that to work. Johan was gratious enough to work with me and provided me with four different tunes each with a different "tweek" but nothing seems to work for our applications. So it looks like you have to run rear O2's in our Jeeps even if they are turned "off."
Thanks for the update Rich! Yeah like I said before I had a P0038 code on the driverside rear a months ago and I got the code even though the rear o2's are OFFin my tune right now....

Man I like them catless mid you had fabbed up! Cool brother!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26  
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM
rmon's Avatar
rmon rmon is offline
Senior Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Presto Pa
Posts: 659
Thanks: 16
Thanked 78 Times in 55 Posts
Yeah, they make the exhaust sound really sweet at anything over 1/2 throttle. Without the restriction of the cats, you can feel the difference on the top end too. I put the rear O2's in them last night and drove to work today and the set up works perfectly. The tune has the rear O2s "off" for the off road pipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Wintermute's Avatar
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Major Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,246
Thanks: 14
Thanked 51 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoecke View Post
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking the stock cats are the biggest source of back pressure so just sticking them on the end of the headers is great for passing emissions but the bottleneck is still there no?
Here's the combinations I have been through so far:

1) Replace stock suitcase with Magnaflow 12599 and delete reso's

result: good sound, nice and deep, but drone at certain rpms.

2) Add obx longtubes

result: stinky, vibrations, sound level okay, drone not as noticible, probably due to volume. Low end torque seems to be lacking. Right tail pipe turns black.

3) add stock cats back in to the mid-pipe, with a magnaflow 12867 behind each cat, remove large magnaflow

result: loud as hell, start up and cruising sound pretty good but any kind of acceleration and its starts blating and farting, pretty obnoxious. Low end torque still missing even with stock cats in, but on the highway it feels like I'm pulling harder from 80-120km/h. I'm thinking the stock cats dont provide enough back pressure with this set up.

I feel some stumbling at highway speed and one of the O2 error codes comes in constantly so I limp back home and put the stock tune back in until I can sort it out.

4) add flowmaster 40's in where the stock resonators were

result: quiet, maybe too quiet. No drone, nice deep resonance. Low end torque definitely back, even on stock tune I can feel the difference. My muffler guy didnt get the tips lined up right so I'm a little pissed and I'll try to do it myself, but generally he's pretty good. I think I'm putting his kids through college.

Up next: No emissions testing to deal with, so I'll probably have straight pipes sewn in between the headers and rear axel, get rid of the magnaflows and replace stock cats with high flows. I figure this will give me a little more volume with the same tone. Still have to put johan's rear O2 delete tune back in and add O2 extensions.
__________________
2015 Porsche Macan S on order
2012 JGC Overland Deep Cherry
2010 JGC SRT8 Modern Blue
bt c-c, reso-delete, obx L-tubes, bwoody 4", johan/trinity


Last edited by Wintermute; 08-09-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Knuckles's Avatar
Knuckles Knuckles is online now
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagorilla!!
Posts: 16,338
Thanks: 2,349
Thanked 954 Times in 781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmon View Post
Yeah, they make the exhaust sound really sweet at anything over 1/2 throttle. Without the restriction of the cats, you can feel the difference on the top end too. I put the rear O2's in them last night and drove to work today and the set up works perfectly. The tune has the rear O2s "off" for the off road pipes.
Yeah might have to try your catless midpipe idea as well on my Rig... I want my Beast to be louder bro

Much props to you for what you have done here Rich....

Last edited by Knuckles; 08-09-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 PM
rmon's Avatar
rmon rmon is offline
Senior Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Presto Pa
Posts: 659
Thanks: 16
Thanked 78 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
Here's the combinations I have been through so far:

1) Replace stock suitcase with Magnaflow 12599 and delete reso's

result: good sound, nice and deep, but drone at certain rpms.

2) Add obx longtubes

result: stinky, vibrations, sound level okay, drone not as noticible, probably due to volume. Low end torque seems to be lacking. Right tail pipe turns black.

3) add stock cats back in to the mid-pipe, with a magnaflow 12867 behind each cat, remove large magnaflow

result: loud as hell, start up and cruising sound pretty good but any kind of acceleration and its starts blating and farting, pretty obnoxious. Low end torque still missing even with stock cats in, but on the highway it feels like I'm pulling harder from 80-120km/h. I'm thinking the stock cats dont provide enough back pressure with this set up.

I feel some stumbling at highway speed and one of the O2 error codes comes in constantly so I limp back home and put the stock tune back in until I can sort it out.

4) add flowmaster 40's in where the stock resonators were

result: quiet, maybe too quiet. No drone, nice deep resonance. Low end torque definitely back, even on stock tune I can feel the difference. My muffler guy didnt get the tips lined up right so I'm a little pissed and I'll try to do it myself, but generally he's pretty good. I think I'm putting his kids through college.

Up next: No emissions testing to deal with, so I'll probably have straight pipes sewn in between the headers and rear axel, get rid of the magnaflows and replace stock cats with high flows. I figure this will give me a little more volume with the same tone. Still have to put johan's rear O2 delete tune back in and add O2 extensions.
I have 1 7/8" headers and a Corsa cat back and I gained torque everywhere in the power band with my set up. If you have flat spots, your getting O2 error codes and have one black tailpipe you might want to think about replacing one or more of your O2 sensors especially since you've had a bunch of different exhaust combinations. At the very least check the side of the black tailpipe you might have a sensor that's loose. I replaced mine at 22K and was surprised how much better the car runs with the new O2 sensors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 PM
rmon's Avatar
rmon rmon is offline
Senior Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Presto Pa
Posts: 659
Thanks: 16
Thanked 78 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
Yeah might have to try your catless midpipe idea as well on my Rig... I want my Beast to be louder bro

Much props to you for what you have done here Rich....
Thanks man. You'll love the set up. It's about a 15-20 min swap for the mid pipes on jack stands. Really easy. With the off road mids the the beast barks when you start it up and rumbles around town, and WOT is sick. But it never drones like some other set ups. To me it was like turning up a good music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pass Emissions in DENVER with Stainless Works Headers??? chitass WK1 Intake/ Exhaust Discussion 18 05-23-2010 08:40 AM
Stainless works Headers? turtle1678 WK1 Intake/ Exhaust Discussion 4 05-31-2009 07:35 PM
Stainless Works Headers turtle1678 WK1 General Performance Discussion 19 02-27-2009 09:45 PM
Stainless Works Headers on the way! Harrison@Stage6 WK1 General Performance Discussion 16 06-02-2008 06:44 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
© AutoGuide