End links and sway bar. WTF am I doing wrong?!! - Page 3 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Suspension / Driveline Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Trick View Post
What about the shock absorber on that side, could it be bad? Letting the suspension whip around more. Just a thought

It takes a lot of suspension travel to put the joint straight like that, how bad are the roads where you are?
There might be something up with the suspension. We'll have to check it out.

Last edited by ToothlessCog; 07-12-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM

Ok, so Toothless and I worked on the Rig again and I have some pics to show everyone to get some more opinions

The first pic is the length of the Addco bar and OEM bar. Same length

The second pic is the height of the Addco bar and OEM bar. Similar

The third pic is the end heights of the Addco bar and OEM bar. Big difference!

The fourth pic is the end heights of the Addco bar and OEM bar on the other side. Big difference!

Now the question is, for those with the Addco sway bar, did they also have such an end height discrepancy similar to what it shows in the pics? We are thinking that this height difference may have cause our problems. We have sent the pics to Addco and are waiting a reply. We put in the OEM sway bar and will see how that works (it looks like it's in better position with the OEM sway bar). Just want to see if anyone else has noticed this height discrepancy?
Attached Thumbnails
mini-DSC00032.jpg   mini-DSC00037.jpg   mini-DSC00036.jpg   mini-DSC00035.jpg  
Old 07-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Just leave the OEM sway bar in. Forget the Addco it's pretty much the same as stock. You won't be able to tell the difference.

www.dingsracing.com
I'm gettting frustrated with modding
Old 07-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Maybe they sent you the wrong bar...what if that is the one for the Chally or Charger? I'm on the stock sways so I couldn't much more than that.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Is this full compressed or not?

Big difference between the two

And is this unsprung

Just putting this up for comparison, you can definitely see the difference in lowered vs not

As I said before I noticed that the addco was shorter and thought at first it could be an issue but ultimately it was not. Maybe in part to the lowering springs. Could be that on stock springs it border lining on inverting like that and you where just the unlucky one that it happened to?

What about the diameter of the bolts you used, exactly the same as what Bwoody sent you. They aren't smaller on the threaded part right?

Last edited by Jeep Trick; 07-16-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 AM

First, I'm not an expert in suspension systems, but I have worked in a manufacturing facility where we built torsion and anti-sway bars for various manufactures.

I see a problem with the aftermarket anti-sway bar. The two ends of the anti-sway bar are unequal in length. It appears that the forged bar was not centered in the hydraulic bending fixture during the heat-treating process. This would cause the short end to be stiff as compared to the longer end, perhaps giving different ride characteristics turning left versus right.

Also, the aftermarket anti-sway bar is shorter in overall length. I'm not sure if this anti-sway bar has been designed this way, or the wrong anti-sway bar was shipped to you. I can see why you are having a problem with the install. In any case, I would ask for another anti-sway bar or a refund.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSRT8 View Post
I see a problem with the aftermarket anti-sway bar. The two ends of the anti-sway bar are unequal in length. It appears that the forged bar was not centered in the hydraulic bending fixture during the heat-treating process. This would cause the short end to be stiff as compared to the longer end, perhaps giving different ride characteristics turning left versus right.

Also, the aftermarket anti-sway bar is shorter in overall length. I'm not sure if this anti-sway bar has been designed this way, or the wrong anti-sway bar was shipped to you. I can see why you are having a problem with the install. In any case, I would ask for another anti-sway bar or a refund.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking1121 View Post
Maybe they sent you the wrong bar...what if that is the one for the Chally or Charger? I'm on the stock sways so I couldn't much more than that.
We are starting to think this is the case as well. We sent the pics to Addco and they said it did not look correct as well. The person we dealt with at Addco said he had to show the pics to someone else and would get back to us. Still waiting for a reply.

BTW, it should be noted that when we put the Addco sway bar in the first time, the bolts would not fit through the end holes?! We had to drill the holes bigger. Did not think much about it at the time but don't know if this would add to the possibility that they shipped the incorrect sway bar.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Trick View Post
Is this full compressed or not?

Big difference between the two

And is this unsprung

Just putting this up for comparison, you can definitely see the difference in lowered vs not

As I said before I noticed that the addco was shorter and thought at first it could be an issue but ultimately it was not. Maybe in part to the lowering springs. Could be that on stock springs it border lining on inverting like that and you where just the unlucky one that it happened to?

What about the diameter of the bolts you used, exactly the same as what Bwoody sent you. They aren't smaller on the threaded part right?
Hey thanks for all your help so far, greatly appreciated. The two pics of my Rig where taken at different times. The second pic you have is the first time we did the mod. We don't know how it ended up so straight with no angle to the joint? The first pic is what we ended up with the second time, after we replaced the brake hose the first time. Both are unsprung pics.

Regardless, they are both vastly different from your set up.

I did read your post re: the ends of the Addco was shorter than OEM but was not sure if it was as short as our pics? You could be correct in that the lowered springs could be making the difference. The only thing is, I have seen many other members with the Bwoody end links/Addco sway bar with OEM springs without this ever happening. From my search no other member has experienced this issue and posted anything about it, so there lies my confusion.

Yes we used the same bolts that Bwoody sent us and they are not smaller on the threaded part. As mentioned in my above post, we had to drill larger holes in the Addco sway bars because the Bwoody bolts would not fit?! Doesn't make sense.

So we put the OEM sway bar back in and it looks correct, like your setup (see pics). Also the Bwoody bolts fit perfectly. Hoping to hear what Addco has to say.

Our next mod is to put Eibach springs on, we'll see how that goes and my try to put the Addco sway bar in after that to test your theory. Hoping to hear from Addco before then though as we have replaced the brake hose twice now and Mopar in Alberta has no more!!
Attached Thumbnails
mini-DSC00038.jpg   mini-DSC00039.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 PM

So it's been 2 months since we had this problem and I must say that Addco has come through for us.

I initially spoke with Neverenough where we bought the sway bar initially. They weren't able to help with the problem but they gave me a contact at Addco to speak with. After sending pics and measurements and explanations, they stepped up and decided to send us a new bar after they ran another batch.

Got the bar last week and just quickly comparing it with the old one, the new one looks much more like the stock dimensions (as it is supposed to) so it should work no problem this time.

You've got to give it up to a company that is willing to do right. Thanks Addco!

We'll get this thing installed and confirm its operation.

It's too bad the track days are over for the year.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 AM

i was emailed by the president of addco about a local customer having issues with his rear bar fitment on his jeep and i sent him photos from this thread, they are going to fix the bars to the correct length and send me one to try and another for the local guy im going to help fix his... i will post pictures soon as i can..... Should deffiently not have to worry about inverting the links after this fix, the customer has been to many shops giving him the run around sayin he needs new links and that the "aftermarket" links he had on there were the problem.... not true....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.