End links and sway bar. WTF am I doing wrong?!! - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Suspension / Driveline Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Major Contributing Member

See pictures in the following thread:

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42153
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Trick View Post
Mine looked tight like that at first but as you put it back under load yours its going the wrong way, you need to get it pushed down as you are lowering it back down

You can see by the first two picks of them installed that my sway bar and links are stretched like that also

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13396
Your thread is one of the threads we used as a guide to help do our mod. I'm wondering if we are not making the end link as vertical as possible and as a result when we go over a bump in the road the force is causing the end link/sway bar connection to go upwards and not downwards?

Is there anyway you can take a pick of the sway bar at the hump that goes over the gear housing? We would be able to see at what angle it is at to see if we are not rotating the sway bar forward enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Swaybar1OEMvsADDCO.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothlessCog View Post

Any help would be much appreciated as the Mopar shop in Red Deer only has one more brake cable in stock! :P
At least we've become experts in changing brake hoses and bleeding brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCSRT8 View Post
See pictures in the following thread:

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42153
Am I missing something here? That thread comes to the spring install DIY. The pic relating to the end link and sway bar are all OEM?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Put the OEM swaybar back in, there is really no advantage in putting addco swaybars in IMO.
If you really want the addco's in then check the swaybar mounts if they are tight enough. From the pictures you posted it looks like it's going up because the swaybar is not secured.

I'm gettting frustrated with modding
Old 07-12-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothlessCog View Post
I've been helping TMC with his mods and I wanted to add some more info. The pics posted are after driving for some time. When we set it up the second time, the sway bar was pointing down. I think when you go over a bump and unload the rear suspension, the sway bar is able to go past the center line and end up in the position shown.
So its happening after you've driven it, when I first installed it the fact that it was shorter than stock threw me off at first but I have never had a problem with it kicking back like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicmegacolon View Post
Your thread is one of the threads we used as a guide to help do our mod. I'm wondering if we are not making the end link as vertical as possible and as a result when we go over a bump in the road the force is causing the end link/sway bar connection to go upwards and not downwards?

Is there anyway you can take a pick of the sway bar at the hump that goes over the gear housing? We would be able to see at what angle it is at to see if we are not rotating the sway bar forward enough?
A few questions:
What springs do you have?
If you have aftermarket springs have you modified the bumpstops?

I have eibachs and did a custom mod to my bumpstops, Im thinking that if you are stock the taller ride height is keeping that connection between the sway bar and the endlink straighter than mine and is allowing it to kick back under certain bumps. Does it happen on both sides or just one?

And as a side note I like the improvements overall with what I have done to suspension, Addco sway bar included

Last edited by Jeep Trick; 07-12-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungsrt View Post
If you really want the addco's in then check the swaybar mounts if they are tight enough. From the pictures you posted it looks like it's going up because the swaybar is not secured.
We torque them to spec

Quote:
So its happening after you've driven it, when I first installed it the fact that it was shorter than stock threw me off at first but I have never had a problem with it kicking back like that

A few questions:
What springs do you have?
If you have aftermarket springs have you modified the bumpstops?

I have eibachs and did a custom mod to my bumpstops, Im thinking that if you are stock the taller ride height is keeping that connection between the sway bar and the endlink straighter than mine and is allowing it to kick back under certain bumps. Does it happen on both sides or just one?
I have the OEM springs in currently. The only thing with your theory is that there are other Rigs on the forum with the same end link/sway bar set up and OEM springs that don't have this problem and that is what I can't figure out? No other thread with this problem when I do a search.

It has happened to the passenger rear both times. The driver rear seems to be fine.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
We torque them to spec

I have the OEM springs in currently. The only thing with your theory is that there are other Rigs on the forum with the same end link/sway bar set up and OEM springs that don't have this problem and that is what I can't figure out? No other thread with this problem when I do a search.

It has happened to the passenger rear both times. The driver rear seems to be fine.
What about the shock absorber on that side, could it be bad? Letting the suspension whip around more. Just a thought

It takes a lot of suspension travel to put the joint straight like that, how bad are the roads where you are?

Last edited by Jeep Trick; 07-12-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
What about the shock absorber on that side, could it be bad? Letting the suspension whip around more. Just a thought

It takes a lot of suspension travel to put the joint straight like that, how bad are the roads where you are?
The vehicle is a 2010 with ~9500 km on her. I have never noticed anything re: the shock absorber on that side when it was just the OEM end link and sway bar but thanks

The roads are fairly similar to any major city roads. There is a large group of owners here in Calgary and some of them have these mods and I have never heard of anything like this before. I have pm someone so that I can meet with him to take a look at his end link/OEM sway bar set up.

Jeep Trick, thanks for all your help so far, much appreciated. Can you help me with two more things. First, can you confirm with me that the ADDCO sway bar goes OVER the gear housing and not UNDER. Second, if possible, can you take a pic of how your ADDCO sway bar goes over the gear housing? If you can do that I would be greatly appreciative. Toothlessclog and I are going to see if we can fix this f*&k up on thurs.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
The vehicle is a 2010 with ~9500 km on her. I have never noticed anything re: the shock absorber on that side when it was just the OEM end link and sway bar but thanks

The roads are fairly similar to any major city roads. There is a large group of owners here in Calgary and some of them have these mods and I have never heard of anything like this before. I have pm someone so that I can meet with him to take a look at his end link/OEM sway bar set up.

Jeep Trick, thanks for all your help so far, much appreciated. Can you help me with two more things. First, can you confirm with me that the ADDCO sway bar goes OVER the gear housing and not UNDER. Second, if possible, can you take a pic of how your ADDCO sway bar goes over the gear housing? If you can do that I would be greatly appreciative. Toothlessclog and I are going to see if we can fix this f*&k up on thurs.
Yes the sway bar goes over the diff just like the stocker does

Ill see if I can get a better picture but my Jeep has no motor right now and is in the garage so no promises. Let me also look at my photobucket acct and see if I have any better
Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yes the sway bar goes over the diff just like the stocker does

Ill see if I can get a better picture but my Jeep has no motor right now and is in the garage so no promises. Let me also look at my photobucket acct and see if I have any better
That's a great pic. Suspension is completely unsprung (assuming you've got the jack stands under the frame) and the end link and sway bar do not line up straight. There's no way the sway bar can pop up like ours did. We'll have to see if our setup looks like this too.

A suggestion from the foreman at the dealership I bought the brake hose from suggested we put a 1/2" aluminum spacer under the bushing on the axle to push the sway bar forward in the car a bit.

The rep from neverenough gave me a contact at Addco to try to help. Will let you know what he says once I get a hold of him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.