End links and sway bar. WTF am I doing wrong?!! - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Suspension / Driveline Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 PM

End links and sway bar. WTF am I doing wrong?!!

Ok so I am getting bent over doing this simple (what I thought was simple) mod and I don't know what I am doing wrong?

Got BWoody end links and Addco rear sway bar, followed the instructions and the threads on how to install. First time the end links and sway bar was installed wrong, they where not even at an angle (see pic) and when I first drove it the passenger side rear on where the end link connected to the sway bar, that 'joint' snapped up and broke the brake hose line (first pic).

Fine, I'm an idiot and redid it again and I thought I did it correctly this time (second pic). Things were fine and I must have drove the Rig for a few hundred kms and then this happened (third and fourth pic). What am I doing wrong?! I torque them to spec as well. Am I putting them together incorrectly? The offset should be correct as well as I followed the instructions that come with the end links and from the threads here. Also it has been from the passenger rear both times. Don't know if that makes a difference of not.
Attached Thumbnails
Passengerrearafter2mistakeswaybar.jpg   Passengerrearafter4endlinkswaybarrotor.jpg   swaybarfail-3.jpg   swaybarfail-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Elite Contributing Member

it's hard to tell from the pics, but that looks totally wrong!! i'm trying to find my pics from when i did my install...
Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 PM

I was reading one thread that mentioned the passenger rear side the sway bar should be on the outside of the end link but when I tried doing this there was no way I would be able to put the sway bar on the outside of the end link so I put in on the inside of the end link as in the pic. Don't know if that is the reason or not though.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 AM

I can't find mine right now...too many damn pics! I'll keep looking, but I want to say the position of the sway bar looks totally wrong...
Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 AM

^^ thanks. I need all the help I can at this point in time.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 AM

they should mount the same as the stock ones shouldnt they?

I can always come by so u can refresh what the stock setup looks like haha.

Volant Intake - Predator 93 CAI - Eibachs (en route) - Magnaflow Cat-Back (en route)

Proxie STII 275/315
Old 07-11-2011, 06:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondchance View Post
they should mount the same as the stock ones shouldnt they?

I can always come by so u can refresh what the stock setup looks like haha.
With the bwoody links I believe the top where it connects to the frame one goes on the inside and the other goes on the outside.

09 SRT8GC HHP built stroker 604/555 - 10.88 @ 123.68

Last edited by bcm0018; 07-11-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Major Contributing Member

Is your sway bar installed upside down?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:22 AM

Mine looked tight like that at first but as you put it back under load yours its going the wrong way, you need to get it pushed down as you are lowering it back down

You can see by the first two picks of them installed that my sway bar and links are stretched like that also

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13396

Last edited by Jeep Trick; 07-11-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM

I've been helping TMC with his mods and I wanted to add some more info. The pics posted are after driving for some time. When we set it up the second time, the sway bar was pointing down. I think when you go over a bump and unload the rear suspension, the sway bar is able to go past the center line and end up in the position shown.

The last time we had the bar off I measured the distance from the sway bar mounts to the center of the end link point and it was about .75" shorter than stock. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be so or should it match the stock dimensions and the bar should just be thicker in diameter? I know the BWoody links are the same length as stock ones.

We are pretty sure the sway bar is the right direction. The hump goes over the gear housing instead of under it. We tried putting it so the bar goes under the housing and it did look better but the stock bar ran over the housing so we put it back.

Any help would be much appreciated as the Mopar shop in Red Deer only has one more brake cable in stock! :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.