Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Transfer Case fluid

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  nejesse 
#1 · (Edited)
Transfer Case fluid - Mystery getting solved

Ok, it's time for me to replace the TC fluid, and just noticed it's 50.00/qt!! WTF???? Not that I can't afford it, but 100bucks for 2qt seems like robery lol. I know mopar isn't manufacturing this fluid in there office; so who is the manufacture or what exact specs does it have to meet (for proper clutch pack lubrication).

I figure they are just rebranding, so who is the maker!!?

#2 ·
Don't feel too bad I just paid $77/qt up here in Canada. I Would love to find somewhere else to buy it cheaper for the next time but as far as I know the steelership is the only place to get it.

#4 ·
Appriciate the lead, this will be last resort I guess. I'm gonna do some research and get to the bottom of this 50.00/qt shafting. Ill call the manufacture of the tc tomorrow and see what fluid (name brand) they recommend.

#10 ·
Just got off the phone with the manufacture..he is going to have the engineer which designed the transfer case call me, his name is Mr. Wilson. Once he calls me this afternoon, I will let you guys know..getting closer to this "mystery"

#14 ·
So Mr. Wilson done in the bathroom yet :rolleyes: , just curious he he

#12 ·
I paid $57.00 each here in Canada from my dealer. He gave me a better price since I bought a case. 6 quarts.

#13 ·
Looking forward to what Mr. Wilson has to say! I'm sure he owns stock in whatever company that makes the TC fluid!

#19 ·
I got mine with 29K miles on it and I didn’t realize how important the TC fluid is in these things, and I had the typical “grinding” noise with the TC off, so when I found out the importance I changed mine at about 36Kmiles and this is what it looked like compared to the old fluid so im glad I did and the “grinding” noise completely went away.

The new next to the old

Attachments

#20 ·
Sorry my last reply showed the service for the front axle. This is for the TC:

Fluid change interval (factory spec):
30k miles
(WKJeeps.com recommendation: 10k miles for first change, every 15k thereafter)

#21 ·
So I changed my TC fluid a few months ago back in June..it was black as tar and smelled burnt. Two weeks ago, I bring it into the dealer to try and find and fix this 'grinding' noise. They drain the TC fluid and it is already black again, so obviously something is wrong. The mechanic comes up to me and asked if I used the $50/qt fluid because he himself could not believe the cost! Since they didn't have parts and I needed my ride, they temporarily put in two new qts till I came back. So after multiple days in the shop, they rebuilt my entire TC ..clutch pack, motor, etc. and the electronic drive module.. I went through 6 qts, not including the 2 I put in back in June. My bill showed all 6 qts @ $50 each. So my point is, I don't think there is really anything else to use. Although, the mechanic did mention he wouldn't be surprised if there was some type of tractor fluid that is simialr..if anyone wants to check that route :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.