Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

What did you do to your Jeep today?

1M views 9K replies 612 participants last post by  bxcharger 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a wildly successful thread on another forum I'm on, so I thought I might as well start it here.

Today I traced down a loud squeling coming from the engine that I determined was a result of a cheap belt. I determined it was the belt by spraying the grooves of the belt with WD40 while the engine was running. If the squeling is the belt, the sqeeling will stop when you spray it.

Next I found a location to install my catch can. To do so I had to cut two bolts and trim the head of one of them. For those that have removed your stock CAI, there is a bracket just waiting to be put to work.

Here's some photos for the hell of it. I know it's not the prettiest thing you've ever seen, but it functions nicely. :)

See less See more
#5,918 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Grille

Put on front splitter. Deciding if it's the way I want it, custom front grill is next up.

#5,919 · (Edited)
#5,920 ·
Is that the front splitter from that guy in california someone posted a while back

#5,922 ·
Yes it is, I've had it awhile. Just decided to put it on since it has looked so good in pics.

#5,935 ·
New rubber!

#5,936 ·
Gave her a winter bath Brrrr!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Bumper

#5,938 ·
Reactions: cagannyc
#5,940 ·
Absolutely love my T1000

Johan tune.... after a few revisions I honestly can't get it to hook at all. This was my last run under moderate throttle just to get it to hook. Hopefully low 11s at the track on 20s? By far superior over my dyno tune and RIPP tunes.

Attachments

Reactions: Passmg2
#5,949 ·
Installed my 180 T-stat now that it finally stopped raining!

Reactions: Jfra
#5,952 ·
Well it was a cold day and was flurrying so why not change the starter that decided to go bad yesterday morning when I got off work it would be fun they said not so much had to pull the front driveshaft and then heat shield getting a new starter in the morning and will not be putting the front driveshaft back on till the weekend. RWD for the win. Sorry for the rant.

#5,953 ·
My Jeep blowing smoke!

Ok, today I’m heading south on the 400 just north of Toronto and I happen upon another SRT Jeep (black, I think) and we’re clipping along pretty good (130kph). We ride along together for a bit and when I have to exit and get on the 407 I nail it for about 4 seconds to say so long to my fellow Jeep owner. All good.

Then, about a minute or two later I’m noticing a gray oil smoke fog out the back! OH OH! I pull over & have a look and my dipstick (I’m the real dipstick) is popped up a couple inches & there is oil everywhere. Oil pressure, oil temp & coolant temp are fine. I call Skip & baby it home.

Here’s the lesson this dumbass learned: Always check your catch can even if you never get any oil build up!! Because I never get any oil in my catch can I had gotten lazy checking it - mistake - I hadn’t checked it in about 6 weeks or so. My catch can was full of frozen condensation because of the cold weather! Cleaned it out and back together and everything seems fine.

Hopefully this public service announcement saves someone else from getting the turds scared out of them with the same situation. I like to think I pay attention to my Jeep - obviously not enough!!!

#5,954 ·
Ok, today I’m heading south on the 400 just north of Toronto and I happen upon another SRT Jeep (black, I think) and we’re clipping along pretty good (130kph). We ride along together for a bit and when I have to exit and get on the 407 I nail it for about 4 seconds to say so long to my fellow Jeep owner. All good.

Then, about a minute or two later I’m noticing a gray oil smoke fog out the back! OH OH! I pull over & have a look and my dipstick (I’m the real dipstick) is popped up a couple inches & there is oil everywhere. Oil pressure, oil temp & coolant temp are fine. I call Skip & baby it home.

Here’s the lesson this dumbass learned: Always check your catch can even if you never get any oil build up!! Because I never get any oil in my catch can I had gotten lazy checking it - mistake - I hadn’t checked it in about 6 weeks or so. My catch can was full of frozen condensation because of the cold weather! Cleaned it out and back together and everything seems fine.

Hopefully this public service announcement saves someone else from getting the turds scared out of them with the same situation. I like to think I pay attention to my Jeep - obviously not enough!!!
You live and you learn... going to check my CC tomorrow :D

#5,956 ·
i would add an extra vent just incase. I run the HHP filter on the oil fill neck.

#5,961 ·
^^^I'm pretty sure he does.

Funny you guys are talking about this bc I have excessive crank case pressure currently. Blows my diostick out about 1in during wot pulls. I already have a breather filter on the oil neck. Was talking to Nate about putting another breather filter on the manifold side of my billet catch can and capping the manifold. Would that reduce crank case pressure?
Anyone have the part number or make of this extra vent? I checked my catch can today and it was half full of watery smelling pukey gas gunk. Maybe it cleared itself out. I will check again tomorrow. And yes Matt, there is a vent but it filled up and froze right past that.

"Aha! Hence why your dipstick popped out. The crankcase pressure will find a way out good thing it was through the dipstick and not through a seal :p" And Viking, holy krikey, yeah, the ol' sphincter was a-twitchin' for a bit there yesterday....
HHP has a METCO crank case vent. Its a vent that replaces your oil cap http://www.highhorseperformance.com/Metco_Crankcase_Breather_MBR0012_p/mbr0012.htm

#5,959 ·
^^^I'm pretty sure he does.

Funny you guys are talking about this bc I have excessive crank case pressure currently. Blows my diostick out about 1in during wot pulls. I already have a breather filter on the oil neck. Was talking to Nate about putting another breather filter on the manifold side of my billet catch can and capping the manifold. Would that reduce crank case pressure?

#5,960 ·
Anyone have the part number or make of this extra vent? I checked my catch can today and it was half full of watery smelling pukey gas gunk. Maybe it cleared itself out. I will check again tomorrow. And yes Matt, there is a vent but it filled up and froze right past that.

"Aha! Hence why your dipstick popped out. The crankcase pressure will find a way out good thing it was through the dipstick and not through a seal :p" And Viking, holy krikey, yeah, the ol' sphincter was a-twitchin' for a bit there yesterday....

#5,990 ·
Crazy that you say that!
So I have a built '08 that's boosted. Well it's been in my garage staying warm and out of this crappy and lately very cold Edmonton Alberta winter. Well I decided to take it out for a little spin around the block to take some pictures a couple weeks ago. So I was only out you know 20 minutes. Anyway a few days later I popped the hood and I noticed my catch can lines were covered in oil. Auto part Fuel line Pipe Engine Automotive fuel system
Fuel line Auto part Engine Vehicle Pipe

Seems to be seeping out as you can see. And yes I know it's dirty as hell lol don't worry it's going to get a full detail job in a few months when it's ready to come out again.

Auto part Pipe Fuel line Wheel
here too

Auto part Pipe Fuel line
also noticed a little spray here too I wonder where that's coming from...

So I immediately checked my oil after noticing, and I was down a quart to a quart and a half to get it back to the normal level.
I then checked the catch can and it looked like this:

Muffler Auto part

And the thing about it was that it smelled a lot like fuel too.
It didn't reek of fuel but I could certainly smell it.
?

Attachments

#5,973 ·
View attachment 149018

My set-up for your reference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Tim your setup is what I was talking about in my previous post. So your manifold is just capped off then since you have a breather on the manifold side of your catch can right? Just out of curiosity, ever seen someone with a breather filter on the oil fill neck along with a breather oil cap?

#5,970 · (Edited)
Thanks you guys. Your Jeeps all look so clean and new under the hood. I hate cleaning mine.....I wish I liked waxing it and stuff. I just like the way it looks when it’s spotless when someone else does it...lol. I just had it waxed up and detailed for the winter crap and now I’m cleaning oil barf under my hood. Think I’m gonna order one of them thar METCO oil caps. For the record, I drove to London & back yesterday after cleaning my catch can (so 3-4 hours highway in total) and today I had half a can of watery gas smelling light brown Guinness foam baby diarrhea stuff. I changed the oil today & the oil in the SC head at a shop I always go to. They ran some Valvoline engine cleaning stuff for $40 for 5 minutes and they did my SC head for free and rotated my Toyo snows front to back. They’ve been on a month and funny how a few burnouts can cook off rubber in a hurry...lol.

P.S. Ever notice how after you wash your Jeep, change the oil and fiddle f&%k checking things under the hood that it runs better? At least that’s what my mind tells me :D