Signs of a torque converter going bad?? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Signs of a torque converter going bad??

What are the early symptoms? I went to a shop today to do a base dyno run to see where I'm at before doing mods in the new year. While it was doing the run, it got to about 87 MPH and 5500 RPM and all of a sudden the a$$ end drops as if it shifts but it doesn't. The dyno sheet shows in all three runs consistently at the same range that the power drops by about 40 HP and than shoots up about 70. The guy even felt it inside and said it was weird especially with the power drop and peak. The mechanic there said it may be the torque converter going bad. This same "shift" feeling happens in second also at mild throttle. It sounds like it shifts but I didn't shift it. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 06:24 PM

I have a video of the run and a pic of the sheet uploading right now. Its weird to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Ok, watch and listen at the 30-32 second mark. The a$$ just drops at 5500 RPM but the RPMs were still climbing as normal. Thing is the power and torque dropped significantly and than jumped back up. Pic shows 3 runs (red, green and blue) lined up and it was consistent. Funny thing is that its also happening at the speed I've been complaining about to the dealer. With paperwork, I hope they'll believe me now.

Last edited by eddiefig; 05-08-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to pjs1965
That's curious. Subscribing to see what comes of this. GL eddie.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 PM

I've been having this issue since I got this thing and the dealer didn't even mention this as a possibility. I can't wait to go there with some solid info and get it looked at. I think I at least should get a new torque converter and a tranny flush. It was so weird how it happened at the exact same speed that I told them it did and the dyno doesn't lie. I would be like a pig in sh*t if that was it. Lol.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:09 PM

They will tell you it must of been something wrong with the dyno or the way it was hooked up. Tell them you want to make appt with the factory rep to come and drive it. They also may say why was it on a dyno you have to fig there going to look at anyway to keep from fixing it.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim383 View Post
They will tell you it must of been something wrong with the dyno or the way it was hooked up. Tell them you want to make appt with the factory rep to come and drive it. They also may say why was it on a dyno you have to fig there going to look at anyway to keep from fixing it.
I'll just say I had it on the dyno to see if Chrysler was false advertising. Lol. All I have is a CAI and cat-back exhaust both of which are types of mods available by Mopar. Plus, the way it was hooked up should have nothing to do with the computer read out. AND....they were the ones that told me a dyno would be the best and safest way to test it at 90 MPH. The service manager can be pretty reasonable. We're on a first name basis by now and I know he's sick of seeing my face. I'm sick of seeing theirs, too. They wanted me to go to Westbury's dyno but I told them it was too far for me and I can't fit it in my schedule.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Premium Lurker
Lifetime Premium Member

This is just a stab in the dark, but do you think this could have anything to do with your CMR tune? I guess the easiest way to find out would be to return it to your stock tune and see if you're having the same issues. Whatever the case, good luck...
Old 05-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Shifty transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiefig View Post
I have a video of the run and a pic of the sheet uploading right now. Its weird to see.
I am having the same issue with my 06'. I thought it was the fact that I put a new battery and it messed up the Diablo tuner. after calling the people at Diablo,they said dissconnecting the battery had nothing to do with messing up the tuner. I'm new at this so disregard my lack of basic car tuning. Im thinking torque converter after reading the responses to your post! P.S. great srt8 animation,Im thinking t-shirt?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Hey eddie did you happen to have that dyno done at a place called Crazy house customs by chance?
PORT&POLISHED INTAKE MANIFOLD/ARRINGTON 90MM THROTTLE BODY/3000 STALL/INOVATE WIDEBAND/AMERICAN RACING LONGTUBE HEADERS/6K LOWS & FOGS/SOLO/DMH LOW PROFILE E-CUTOUTS/EIBACH SPRINGS/ADDCO SWAYBARS FRONT&REAR/NITTO MOTIVO 275 315/180 THERMOSTAT/LED TAILS/TINTED REAR FOGS/TRINITY/DORMANT BLUE & BLACK POWDER COATING UNDER HOOD AND CALIPERS
==================================================
Made with Built by

426 STROKER - 6.4L PORT&POLISHED DOMINATOR HEADS - STAGE 4 CAM - MOTOR MOUNTS - REAR CROSS MEMBER - ENDLINKS
==================================================
Tuned by Josh at HHP
552 Max Horsepower - 528 Max Torque

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.