Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

FAN MOD (do you mind)

13K views 61 replies 21 participants last post by  AZsrt8jeep 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have got the fan mod figured out, But it is very different then my origianal plans. Looking further into the fuse box and relay I have come to find that there is no wires going to the switch side of this relay. The PCM that controls this function is mounted directly to the fuse/relay box that feeds a circuit board.

I dont like testing PCM inputs and I dont want to run the switch through the PCM for fear of back feeding into it. So I found a very simple solution but in my mind it's a slight short cut. But it will work perfect.

We tap a wire to the switched(-) side of the removed relay,replace the relay and hook the wire to a grounded switch. Only problem is you will have a wire comming out of the top of your fuse box. But also makes it easy for removal on dealer visits;) If you all are ok with that i will carry on and document the install on the SRT .mac site of mine.

p.s. I feel this is the quickest, cheapest, safest, way. 0 cut factory wires, no 12V supply. Simple simple simple

#4 ·
FAN MOD is done on my end. Photos are take just have to do the write up and post. Mid day Saturday ;)

#5 ·
....so what your saying is, pull the fan relay under the hood.....
....tap a wire into the negative side of the relay.....
....re-install the relay, take a toggle switch, connect to that wire,
and ground, for an easy under the hood at the track switch?

or you can run it inside for an anytime switch?

Is it that easy?

thanks,

snowed here, not taking Jeep out, want to tinker.

#7 ·
cobrakid said:
....so what your saying is, pull the fan relay under the hood.....
....tap a wire into the negative side of the relay.....
....re-install the relay, take a toggle switch, connect to that wire,
and ground, for an easy under the hood at the track switch?

or you can run it inside for an anytime switch?

Is it that easy?

thanks,

snowed here, not taking Jeep out, want to tinker.

Yep thats about all of it. I almost have the page done. My wife dragged me to the Mall YEEHA so much fun, but I will finish it now;)

#10 · (Edited)
Yea very easy ....but we are researching one problem.

Problem corrected never mind.... I am retarded. I grabbed the Lo instead of the HI Web site updated with the correct photos.

#11 ·
...thanks alot.

That was so quick and easy, it was almost scary.

I did an underhood mount for now.

That way if I get to the track tomorrow, I can ice the intake and
crank the fan up while in the staging lanes.

#18 ·
Inferno SRT8 said:
EXCUSEEEE ME!! :D

BTW very nice write up and web page Fast!

Thanks, You BETTER find that site helpful and like it. Because my wife hates it.

She is starting to sound like the Charlie Brown Teacher....

#19 ·
FastSRT8GC said:
Thanks, You BETTER find that site helpful and like it. Because my wife hates it.

She is starting to sound like the Charlie Brown Teacher....

LMAO, I hear that. My GF tried to tell me today that I was done modding the Jeep, as she had enough with the Cobra. I laughed pretty hard until I realized that I was going to have to find an improved hiding spot for my cookie jar. :eek: Sounds like we'll be having a few rounds.

#20 ·
GotStroke? said:
LMAO, I hear that. My GF tried to tell me today that I was done modding the Jeep, as she had enough with the Cobra. I laughed pretty hard until I realized that I was going to have to find an improved hiding spot for my cookie jar. :eek: Sounds like we'll be having a few rounds.

Drink up. I will share my secretes and you can share yours. We should be able to out smart them.....MAYBE:confused:

#22 ·
NitroCrzy said:
Does the Traction Control mod actually disable it? Is this different than the goofy factory switch that doesn't actually disable the thing. I'm thinking of doing the mod and just running it to the factory switch :D
Yes very different. The abs controls the Traction control and by removing the power to the Module you have NO TC and NO ABS.
Be careful using the factory switch. Its not an on/off switch its a momentary switch, I think, So you would have to hold it down while driving to shut it off or turn it on. Not a good option while spinning your tires:rolleyes:

#24 ·
Tried this mod on my 07 (build date 02/19/07).

Engine off, fan switches on w/Switch

Engine running, throws DTC P0480 Fan 1 low speed control malfunction. I could not reset this with engine running, had to shut off to reset w/Dashhawk, which resets I/M monitor drive cycle. I do not want to do this all the time, since the EVAP I/M monitor takes so long to reset and I do not want to throw P1000 codes during state inspection (drive cycle incomplete) for Pennsylvania, where you fail on P1000 (unless <5K miles since last inspection)

For now, will only run fans w/key OFF to cool radiator and monitor batt voltage w/Dashhawk so i don't run it down at track.

We need a tuner for this ASAP. i was spoiled coming from the Lightning world, with the tuning options and settings. This is ridiculous that you cannot control fan turn on temps.

Dave
2007 JGCSRT8

#25 ·
Great site. I love it. I will be doing the TC and fan mod, untill we get a locker, then i will be doing the ediff mod as well. Drifting SRT8? I really appreciate your time on this little site and good luck with keeping the wifey at bay. Try telling her there is a handbag sale at coach...it worked for me. Keep up the good work.

#26 ·
Go~RillaWRX said:
Great site. I love it. I will be doing the TC and fan mod, untill we get a locker, then i will be doing the ediff mod as well. Drifting SRT8? I really appreciate your time on this little site and good luck with keeping the wifey at bay. Try telling her there is a handbag sale at coach...it worked for me. Keep up the good work.

YEA.. If i have another one of those purses in my closet that does not get used i will shoot her;) You name the Make, she has it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.