"ESP, BAS" Light came on?? - Page 3 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Elite Contributing Member

This just happened to me after 2yrs & 8200miles. I haven't got the latest brake recall/flash done yet. The lights went off after just a few yrds. Has anyone figured this out yet?

'06 GC (Laredo) SRT8 InfernoRed EntryLevelJeep
'70 Charger R/T (under construction forever)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM

any update on this?

my '06 with around 8k miles on it (yes it doesn't get driven much) was parked in really bad rain for a few days, and when i took it out for a drive last night, for the first 1-2 miles, it felt like the ABS was buzzing slightly every time i'd apply the brake, even from very low speeds. after a few minutes, the BAS and ESP lights came on, and so did the "service 4WD system" light.

the ABS buzzing also stopped right then.

parked it, and after waiting a half hour, set off again. all error messages and lights were gone, but the brake pedal still felt like ABS was engaging even from low speeds. much worse, it felt as if one of the front wheels would suddenly brake on its own, then release!

after reading thru threads here on the dreaded "service 4WD system" indicator, i thought my transfer case was f*cked. but now i'm not too sure, given the other stuff i've read...

i'm out of warranty, someone have any ideas? it seems to me that rust or dirt from being parked out in really really bad rain could have messed up a wheel speed/ABS sensor?
2003 Porsche 911 Turbo (420HP, stock)
1999 MB E55 (365HP, chipped)
1998 Evo 5 (400HP, track car)
1987 BMW M3 (220HP)
Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,020 Times in 838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
any update on this?

my '06 with around 8k miles on it (yes it doesn't get driven much) was parked in really bad rain for a few days, and when i took it out for a drive last night, for the first 1-2 miles, it felt like the ABS was buzzing slightly every time i'd apply the brake, even from very low speeds. after a few minutes, the BAS and ESP lights came on, and so did the "service 4WD system" light.

the ABS buzzing also stopped right then.

parked it, and after waiting a half hour, set off again. all error messages and lights were gone, but the brake pedal still felt like ABS was engaging even from low speeds. much worse, it felt as if one of the front wheels would suddenly brake on its own, then release!

after reading thru threads here on the dreaded "service 4WD system" indicator, i thought my transfer case was f*cked. but now i'm not too sure, given the other stuff i've read...

i'm out of warranty, someone have any ideas? it seems to me that rust or dirt from being parked out in really really bad rain could have messed up a wheel speed/ABS sensor?
Mine came on a few time as well and would not turn OFF. So I took it into the dealer and they replaced a sensor and has not been back for months. I also did not notice anything else that was weird except for the ESP BAS light that kept coming on. Take it into the dealer when you get a chance.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
Mine came on a few time as well and would not turn OFF. So I took it into the dealer and they replaced a sensor and has not been back for months. I also did not notice anything else that was weird except for the ESP BAS light that kept coming on. Take it into the dealer when you get a chance.
thanks man! i'm kinda anal when it comes to my cars-- can't sleep knowing that there's a problem!

how much did the sensor cost? dealer here charges an arm and a leg. how does $1,000 for one front wheel grab you? (we don't have a choice here, as i live in the Philippines)
Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,020 Times in 838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
thanks man! i'm kinda anal when it comes to my cars-- can't sleep knowing that there's a problem!

how much did the sensor cost? dealer here charges an arm and a leg. how does $1,000 for one front wheel grab you? (we don't have a choice here, as i live in the Philippines)

I hear you bro! I am the same way with my Beast. Yeah they told me I had to bent wheels and I ended up taking them to a fix that specializes in fixing wheels. So lucky for me I did not have to buy to brand new wheels. So I would take them to a place that fixes wheels outthere. Also as far as the cost I believe it siad it was no more than 300 dollars to fix it, but it was under warranty. Good luck bro!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:38 AM

it was a bad wheel speed sensor. just got the truck back from the dealer, and on the way home, no more problems!

let's hope it stays that way.

thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 PM

I know this is an old thread but yesterday my ESP and traction control light came on for no aparent reason on my 08 GC SRT8. I was driving down the highway, lane changed, and it suddenly came on. If I push the ESP button the traction control light (skidding car) will turn off but the ESP light stays on constantly. Any updates from anyone????
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributing Member

My trucks done it twice now, after a key turn or two it goes away. Check for debris around the abs sensors
Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM

Check engine light and 4wheel service light both on!!

i have an 06 Gcsrt8. My wife was doing errands this past weekend when the check engine light came on. Then after an hr or so the 4wheel service light turned on also. i know i need to change the TC fluid asap. i jumped on the forum and tried the cheapest fix i could find. So i disconnected the battery for about 15 min as suggested then reconnected it and started it again. Then i checked and all the error codes where gone!!! Maybe the Cpu just needed to be reset. Thank God!!! lol..

06 Black GC SRT8*Blacked Out*Black Shorty Ant*Llyods Srt8 Mats*Debadged*SRT8 Steering Wheel & Shift Knob Emblems*Rear License Plate and Reverse Leds*Bwoody Cai*Bwoody SwayBar Links*Rear Fogs Activated*Tinted Tailights and rear fogs*275/315Atturos*Bm Drilled & Slotted Rotors*ST brake pads*Sp 180 Tstat*
Old 10-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2five View Post
i have an 06 Gcsrt8. My wife was doing errands this past weekend when the check engine light came on. Then after an hr or so the 4wheel service light turned on also. i know i need to change the TC fluid asap. i jumped on the forum and tried the cheapest fix i could find. So i disconnected the battery for about 15 min as suggested then reconnected it and started it again. Then i checked and all the error codes where gone!!! Maybe the Cpu just needed to be reset. Thank God!!! lol..

All you did was clear the CEL code. If there really is a problem, the lights will come back on. Next time find out what codes are showing first, then clear them. That way you have an idea whats going on, and can determine weather you need to take it in for service right away or not. Those lights don't come on together by accident, you may still have a serious problem with the jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.