Transmission Control Module Bad... anyone else??? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Unhappy Transmission Control Module Bad... anyone else???

Hey guys, new member here. I bought my '07 gcsrt8 in april and have loved it, until it started acting crazy lately. On the first couple of accelerations when cold(after sitting all night) it would bog out at 2500rpm and feel like the brakes grabbed then after a couple of long seconds take off like a bat out of hell down shifting hard. I got it in to the dealer today they said I had a bad transmission control module as well as a bad gear shift control module. I was wondering if any of you have heard of these problems before and are they common in gcsrt8's or am I just that lucky. Hey by the way great site keep up the good work. Hopefully I will be at a meet and greet in the chicago area come spring time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Never heard of that one before

08 SRT Jeep Red Rock Crystal: Loaded - Mopar Hitch n harness, bWoody 4" CAI, K&N Drycharger, Predator & CMR tune by JB, Kooks headers & hi-flow cats, Mopar cat back, Lips fog light harness, BT Catch can, AEM UEGO A/F gauge, Power Bond UD pulley, Jet 180 t-stat, Road Magnet Performance Springs, Addco Sways & BWoody links, Delosh hood graphic and BuilderBill's Stage II valve body.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:29 AM

The gear shift module has gone out on several jeeps which seems to make the shifts slam but never heard of the trans module going bad.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

More than likely the ESM. I had mine replaced recently under warranty...have you gotten the 'service park assist' message yet??

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=32822

'07 GC SRT8 - Not stock anymore!
'00 GC Limited - K&N CAI, Borla cat-back exhaust
Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributing Member

I would also check the Electronic Shift Module (ESM). I had mine replaced and it was causing a bunch of problems and fault codes. Look at the link above and i have posted here with problems that replacing the ESM fixed. Sorry i'm on my phone and can't find posts easy. Do a quick search on the ESM and you will see a bunch. Good luck and welcome!
Old 11-07-2009, 09:23 AM

hey thanks for the advise/info. the dealer is installing a tcm(transmission control module as well as the esm(electronic shift module aka gear shift module). they stated that they are having a hard time finding the tcm, the nearest is in canada somewhere.,i'm down in chicagoland so it will be a few days before i get to drive my beloved srt8. at least the weather is nice this weekend and i can still drive my '97 conv't transam. oh and yes the srt8 will blow the doors off of the ta but you can't put the top down on the srt8 either. see ya thanks again.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Major Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to PROBABLE CAUZ Send a message via MSN to PROBABLE CAUZ Send a message via Yahoo to PROBABLE CAUZ
the tcm shouldnt be hard at all to get. they are readily available online through many dealerships. try moparsupercenter they are a dealership and stock it.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:11 PM

The tcm is part of the pcm and the gear shift module is known as the electronic shift module and goes bad all the time. I work in a jeep dealer and do a esm at leat once a week. It is possible that the tcm/pcm was also bad or it could have been replaced for good measure.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Elite Contributing Member

ryan i can see you are very knowledgeable about jeeps but on the srt8 and the 5.7 hemi jeeps, the tcm is a seperate box located under the dash under behind the center stack. my 4.7 and i guess the 3.7 have the tcm as part of the PCM.

i do agreee that the esm probably is the culprit here.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Rob your a 100% right, I work on so many jeeps they just clump into one big cluster of parts. The nag or mercedez transmissions all have the tcm under the dash, such as 3.7, 5.7, and 6.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.