Aftermarket Head Unit to replace REC in 05 (keep VES, steering controls, etc.) - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Audio/Video/Nav/UConnect/Electronics

WK1 Audio/Video/Nav/UConnect/Electronics Use this section to discuss all topics related to car audio & video, UConnect, navigation & electronics.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:40 AM

Aftermarket Head Unit to replace REC in 05 (keep VES, steering controls, etc.)

Good morning everyone,

Well my joystick went in my Jeep recently and looking to get it fixed and I was quoted 150$ US without shipping both ways. That's almost 200$ US for a Nav that is not touch screen and a pain in the ass to navigate with the joystick to start with. So I am considering spending the money into a navigation system that does it all. Recently I helped a friend install an Avic D3 in his bimmer and well I fell in love with the touchscreen capability and the whole ipod functionnality. It wasn't an easy job as the ac duct behind needed to be cut and boxed for the nav to fit but the end result is really worth it.

Anyways long story short I did some research and read that it is possible to keep everything working VES, steering controls, etc. with the right harnesses but don't know what these are. I would like to know exactly what would be needed to put an aftermarket nav into an 05 with REC and keep the VES, steering controls, etc. working. Install pics would be nice as well! I also read that you need a double din bezel. Any of them will do? Is there any better ones out there that would be recommended?

Thanks for your help!
Simon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Elite Contributing Member

a lot of the harnesses/adapters are replacement specific.

I have the AVIC F90BT and have used my factory amp, speakers, steering controls, sirius antenna, fender antenna, etc.

I also wanted to retain my sat antenna.

here is a list of items I needed besides the Head Unit:

Main harness adapter: PAC C2R-CHY4
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...R-CHY4v1-.html

Pioneer Sirus Adapter: Pioneer CD-SB10
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...paign=froogle#

a new sirius box: SCC1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q9UFKU/...SIN=B000Q9UFKU

Pioneer Steering Wheel Adapter: PAC SWI PS
Amazon Amazon

Chrysler Fender Antenna Adapter: Metra 40CR30
Amazon Amazon

then a D-DIN Adapter: Metra 99-6510
Amazon Amazon

Oh yeah, I wanted a fuully functional IPOD hookup too:
Amazon Amazon

as far as install I found a guy on craigslist. he did the insatall and the kicker upgrade no sub in about 4 hours.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:27 PM

I believe actually that the F90BT is the exact same we installed in my friends BMW this weekend. Did the IPOD hookup came with the system actually? I was in the impression that it did for some reason... You said as well that you kept the same sirius antenna as factory but got a new sirius box? Was that necessary? Also what year is your WK and is it the same parts that I would need to replace the factory REC unit?

I don't think I will go with the satellite radio. I would have to think about that. I believe that you can somehow make it work with the REC nav units. One thing I would also like to keep is the VES and somewhat worried about that.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 PM

I have no VES, so no help there.
I bought mine used. So I had to buy the wires shown. they dont make the f90BT anymore.......
The new sirius box was necessary. we couldnt interface with the Jeep one......
mine is a 2007, replaced the REC.......
Old 11-03-2009, 01:52 PM

The one we installed looks just like the F90BT and I know my friend bought it new :S I have no idea what model it was though I would have to ask him.

Thanks for all the help though I have a pretty good idea of everything I need but the only question is the VES. I also wonder if you have to solder anything or if all you need to do is plug in these harnesses and away you go.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:35 PM

i didnt see any soldering iron. what my installer did was printed out all the wiring diagrams, etc so he had everything ready ahead of time. i put the GPS antenna under the dash. it seems to work fine. thats where Jeep put the oem.

I had him back a week later to add a in-motion hack and clean up the wiring. it was difficult to get it all in behind the unit. he just did something witha simple automotive relay for the hack.... AVIC411.com is your friend! by then i had him change a few of the steering wheel control functions too.

GL. places may still have NEW avic f90BT. i only said it not made anymore cause when i was doing my research, i went to crutchfield, only for info, and that what they said.

Last edited by robpp; 11-03-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:49 AM

Here is the response I had from Crutchfield. It kinda sucks for the VES as I was hoping to get the sound out of the car speakers... I did a quick research and it doesn't seem like anyone was able to do this either... And you were right my friend the F90BT is discontinued I am not sure what unit I would go with but it's still very good info.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for shopping the Crutchfield web site. I'm Niles, and I'm glad to help.

In answer to your question about adding a new receiver to your 2005 Grand Cherokee, I'm not sure where you received this information previously. However, much of it is accurate. But, there are some issues here. First the Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT receiver is discontinued from our inventory and we're out of them. Newer radios will have options for adding the Sirius tuner to it.

Next, the antenna adapter I'm showing as the correct one is here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...sp?i=12040CR10

Now as far as retaining the rear entertainment system, here's the note for your vehicle in our database:
"The factory DVD entertainment system will still operate if the factory radio is removed. However, you'll only be able to hear DVD audio using the factory headphones."

This is the case regardless of what radio you choose. So, your best to get the current radios that fit your vehicle and proper installation gear for the job would be the receiver fit information found in our "Outfit My Car" application. Just point your browser to:

http://www.crutchfield.com/whatfits/index.html?lp

Once you've entered your vehicle information, the car radio selections will automatically be filtered to show only those items that fit your car's dash location. You can use product category links to find the items you're looking for. Using the Online Vehicle Selector for your order also ensures that you will get the installation accessories you are entitled to, so you can start enjoying your new gear sooner.

And, the appropriate the Sirius tuner package can be found in the "Accessories" tab for the receiver you choose. Looking for a neat, easy way of making the wire connections? Check out this clean and simple connector system from Posi-Products:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...asp?i=669PP500

When you're ready to make your purchase, you can do so from our web site. Please enter my name, Niles, as your Advisor as you fill out our Complete Online Order Form. If you prefer, you can also call me, toll free, at the phone number below.

Thanks for your e-mail. Please let me know whenever you need anything else.

Niles
Advisor
advisors@crutchfield.com
http://www.crutchfield.com/
1-800-388-2911, extension 3154
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.