Why Shifter Lever Assy breaks on Jeeps - Page 3 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:39 PM

This is great news. I am having problems with the SLA or ESM and got the UBD U0404 code on my '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It drops out of gear on acceleration, all gear lights turn on, and when you let the RPMs drop back down it slams into gear pretty hard. Interestingly we are at right about 35,000 miles! I'm trying to avoid going to the jeep/chrysler service department because they want to run diagnostics, parts and service even though I suggested it was the ESM. We are out of warranty so I'm really wanting a DIY solution. Has anyone had any good results with fixing a similar problem by cleaning the SLA per these instructions?

How do we go about pleading for a recall on these things? I've READ of it mentioned many times but it seems nobody has actually gone through with making the formal complaint.

Last edited by badgj31; 12-05-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 10:33 PM

Haha this is exactly what I was going to do to mine. 18K on the ODO I bought a new one and was going to take the old one apart to check it out but have been too buzy. Ya beat me to it. Now I will have a spare one to throw in when I clean it up.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:09 PM

there are some
Older type for 5 gear auto ML-320 and e320
with different shift pattern

And similar to ours for S Class with additional switch for winter/summer

Newer 2005+ Benz cars have 7-speed.

http://www.koperformance.com/online_...t_log=12887425

It's described as genuine Mercedes unit.

I don't know about mechanical fitments issues, donor module is definitely needed.
Although it looks like quite similar we can not change just printed card board with electronics because of different shift pattern.
As far as shift pattern is concerned (it's D-4-3-2-1) it may be differences in CAN bus PIDs also, so new matching TCM may be required (however I'm not sure)

If all above is solved, don't see big problems in rewiring SLA electric socket, even if Mercedes unit has rear gear switch inside SLA, we won't use it, all we need are "can bus +", "can bus -" , +12 V, ground and may be illumination.

As far as I know in Europe Mercedes incorporate anti-theft features in SLA unit, shift from Park is not allowed, if immobilizer unit didn't recognize valid key (even if the key mechanically fits (cut)).
X-REAS, K&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Unichip, JAOS skidplate, Muth mirrors, rear fogs mod, front fogs mod, low beam HIDs, upgraded audio

Last edited by a137; 12-08-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:48 AM

I just got the same problem this week with the ESM- Take off from stop or red light and I get no response from engine and all gears are hilighted on the dash. Shift into neutral and back in Drive and then I'm good. CE light comes on sometimes and I'm getting u0404 and p0700. All symptoms are pointing to the ESM being bad. Anyone know the actual mopar part# on this?
Old 03-06-2010, 02:01 PM

Brilliant! Saved me 700 dollars. Was getting a U0404 code and performance issues and this after having the ESM replaced 14 months ago. Took about 12 minutes to remove it, and 20 to clean and reassemble(Was flthy by the way). Undid the battery , reset the computer started up and whalla no issues, been 3 days now and no more CEL......no more freaky tranny behavior.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:39 PM

I've had mine replaced twice. I have an '07 with over 43,000 miles on it with ab extended warranty. First time it gave me a problem was at aroung 28,000 miles. It started boxing all the positions on the IP gear indicator and going into limp mode, but would clear as soon as I shifted into neutral then back to drive. Sometimes the check engine light would come on, sometimes not. After 3 starts with no failures, the check engine light would go out. This went on for several weeks and hard failed in limp mode before I could get it to the dealer. Had to have it towed in. They replaced the ESM and it worked fine.

Most recently, it started acting up again intermittently, but I had a loud ticking noise that was getting worse as the days passed, so I got it in before the ESM got too bad. I got a new set of lifters and a new ESM and it works like a champ again. Still runs as hard as day 1. Besides tires and a sunroof adjustment, these are the only problems Iv'e had with mine.

Eric
Old 03-13-2010, 05:16 PM

Planning to do this tomorrow morning on my 06. I bought contact cleaner at Radio Shack today but, not sure how to actually clean the contacts. Do I just spray it and wipe gently with a paper towel or, just spray and that's it? I don't want to mess up th electronics....

Also, when I'm out in my garage, what kinds of anti-static precautions can I take besides touching ground a few times on the truck before touching the electronics?

Thanks!!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 PM

To clean contacts you need both soft rag or paper towel or cotton swabs. Just spray a bit at printed card and wipe it gently by moisten rag if you want.
All you need to clean non-conductive (green) spaces between black conductive paths.

Inside jeep static is not an issue, however if you decide to disassemble module on a table and your environment is dry and your floor is made from plastic or covered by synthetic upholstery, touch grounded metal - just for the sake.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:34 PM

Even if it has a no brake shift out of park solenoid (immobilizer activated). we could always open up the Mercedes part and remove the solenoid.

Member www.ChicagolandSrtClub.com
Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 AM

agree, even the solenoid is CANbus controlled cutting it out should work.
How is your project going?
By the way - one more area for improvement is Throttle body, Siemens produces Hall sensor based units for Mercedes and resistance based units for our rigs. As I remember BlownWJ has disassembled throttle body, look at his famous thread.

That explains why Chrysler cautions not to spray TB cleaners when servicing TB. Cleaner gets inside the TB sensors area and contaminates (changes the resistance of) conductive paths, which leads to rough idle.
I ignored that caution once and sprayed a few good dozens of cleaner. Immediately I got rough idle issue. It took almost two moths until conductive paths self-cleaned.
However I'm sure even if dealer says replace TB due to rough idle it' possible to open it and clean in the same way as ESM.

Last edited by a137; 03-17-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.