Why Shifter Lever Assy breaks on Jeeps - Page 11 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Driven it three days now after cleaning, and it hasn't happened since. (and it was happening constantly when it got bad the other night)
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Has anyone tried the Dorman ESM or know anything about their reputation...I am wondering if it is better quality than Oem, some aftermarket products are, and they say they have been in business since 1918
Dorman 601-001 Electronic Shifter Module : Amazon.com : Automotive Dorman 601-001 Electronic Shifter Module : Amazon.com : Automotive

If it's Cheap and Reliable it aint Fast
If it's Cheap and Fast it aint Reliable
If it's Fast and Reliable it aint Cheap

Last edited by SPEEDDEMON; 11-10-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 PM

I have been putting off fixing my truck, Well after reading the previous post about his jeep dying in the intersection, i finnally cleaned my board off today. I drive tractor trailer and just envisioned the nightmare if mine died. Anyways the truck is much better now. The last few days with cold up here it was really starting to act up.

2006 with 77,000 on it. Truck has been stock its whole life, so i doubt the previous owner ever cleaned the board off. Of course i buy the truck and three weeks into owning it I get the common symptoms. Glad I have been lurking here for years. I knew exactly what was wrong.

Last edited by Curt S; 11-19-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Post whoring since 2011
Premium Member

If anyone ends up replacing their ESM go to factorymoparparts.com (I am in no way associated with them). 440 there vs the 1300 the dealership quoted me. I cleaned mine but that only bought me a few weeks. Good luck all!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Cleaned mine on the 19th, see post above, happy to report not a hint of issues since.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM

Update 3. After a week this got my drivin habits down and i was really enjoying the shift points. Well two days ago it started screwing up again. Damn. Ill try cleaning again. Hopefully it will work permently.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Post whoring since 2011
Premium Member

I just replaced my ESM and sadly the gears all circled on me again... Now this only happens when I first key on the vehicle and have never had limp mode. Wonder if it's just not seeing the ESM on start up. All I have to do is key it off and back on and it goes away. Shifting is much better since replacement. I donated my old ESM to research (forum member) hopefully he'll have some insights.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Thank you thank you thank you

The OP of this thread is my hero. Had exactly the same issue and with google's help found this thread. The dealer wanted to replace the TCM which would not have helped and would have cost me $700.

This fix was pretty simple. Biggest problem was remembering how to put it back together. Hint, next time take pictures. I did see carbon deposits between the pads which I'm sure were causing the problem.

Love this forum and the people who are on it. Oh, and my SRT8.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM

I want to take apart the ESM module on my 2007 Grand Cherokee and clean the graphite contacts. Does any one know if this procedure requires you to reprogram the computer after completing the reassembly?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Post whoring since 2011
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller55 View Post
I want to take apart the ESM module on my 2007 Grand Cherokee and clean the graphite contacts. Does any one know if this procedure requires you to reprogram the computer after completing the reassembly?
Nope just put it back together and plug it back in and you are good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.