howling noise at high speeds - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 AM

howling noise at high speeds

For the last few months at 50-80 mph, something under the car howls when foot is off gas peddle cruising. Its gotten worse. Is it the transfer case? Noise goes away when u hit the gas. Without music on its pretty loud and annoying. Also, vibration at the steering wheel has gotten worse around the same speed. Can anyone tell me what it is. I have an 06 with 38k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Maybe?

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2100506.pdf
2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS (on way)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM

Already had this done a year ago. Could it need to be done again? Are they gonna charge me considering I'm at 38k
Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

is it coming from the rear (as in louder for the passengers in the rear)? if so i would think it could be the rear diff? transfer case could also be the culprit (may want to find out if they really did replace it for you when they were supposed to have done it)... i would check fluid levels for sure....and ask Bill.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Yeah howling at high speeds could be rear diff and shuddering at high speeds could be a bent driveshaft. Take a look under the jeep and make sure your rear pinion seal is not leaking, its located on the back of the rear diff where the rear driveshaft connects to it. If your rear driveshaft went out of whack it could of caused the rear diff to go back as well.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

pinion ringing
Old 10-01-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalogia View Post
For the last few months at 50-80 mph, something under the car howls when foot is off gas peddle cruising. Its gotten worse. Is it the transfer case? Noise goes away when u hit the gas. Without music on its pretty loud and annoying. Also, vibration at the steering wheel has gotten worse around the same speed. Can anyone tell me what it is. I have an 06 with 38k
Has anyone else experienced this and found a fix for it?

I'm experiencing the same thing... It's a higher pitched howling noise that occurs when I let off the gas on the highway at any speed about 45-50mph, and then goes away when I start to apply light throttle again. At speeds slower than 45mph, there is no noise at all. I don't have any vibration in the steering wheel either.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Supporting Vendor

My money is on a rear diff, maybe pinion nut has backed off a little giving you too much play. You let off the gas and that little bit of movement at those speeds causes the noise. When accelerating or steady on the gas there is continuous pressure applied and no noise is present. Thats my guess anyways.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-Abraham Lincoln, April 4th 1861
The Following User Says Thank You to championjeep For This Useful Post:
TurboKR (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by championjeep View Post
My money is on a rear diff, maybe pinion nut has backed off a little giving you too much play. You let off the gas and that little bit of movement at those speeds causes the noise. When accelerating or steady on the gas there is continuous pressure applied and no noise is present. Thats my guess anyways.
Thanks for your input, I'll check it out.

Wish I would have asked this question about 2 weeks ago before changing the rear diff fluid.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Presents the same as mine did. Under warranty at 32k miles I had the ring and pinion replaced. Problem solved.
TurboKR (10-07-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.