Auto headlights and HID not working - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Lighting Discussion

WK1 Lighting Discussion Use this area for all things related to interior/exterior lighting.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 PM

Question HID's not turning on with Auto function(HELP)

I installed a set of 6500k low HID from XenonDepot. They look sweet, but the auto mode does not seem to work with the HID's. I can only make them work by turning them on manualy. Help.

Last edited by STL07 SRT8; 03-30-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: wrong title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL07 SRT8 View Post
I installed a set of 6500k low HID from XenonDepot. They look sweet, but the auto mode does not seem to work with the HID's. I can only make them work by turning them on manualy. Help.
Has there been a solution to this? I am also having the same problem in my 06'...
Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 PM

I got some on my jeep I just turn the auto off hid do not like to turn on and off need time to warm up.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 PM

are you guys using a relay harness? im running a relay harness on my HIDs and auto works like a charm
2007 Silver GCSRT8: Trinity, Jet 180 T-STAT, Mygig Swap, Ebiach Pro Kit, Borla S, 5% Tint, Tinted Tails, Color Matched Moldings, 6" Shorty Antenna, 6000K Lows/Fogs, LED Interior Swap, Activated Rear Fogs, DC Customs Lights, R1 Concepts Drilled/Slotted Rotors, StopTech Pads, Bwoody 4" Intake, BT Catch Can, Continental DWS 275/315s, Passport Max,LED High Beams, 20" LED Lightbar
Old 10-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

agree with bennett15 110%.......you need to run the relay harness
most guys that have this issue find that the relay harness solves all their issues

***for those that dont know, here is what the relay harness does...you will connect the relay harness to the drivers side headlight pigtail and to the battery + and -....the outputs on the relay harness will go directly to the HID ballasts themselves...you will not use the passenger side headlight pigtail at all, it will remain unplugged....what this will do is allow the headlight switch, which originally sent power to the lights themselves, to send a 12v signal to the relay you just installed...when the relay sees the 12v signal it will make the relay which will in turn allow the full battery + and - to activate the ballasts....this will do away with the having to turn them on/off/on to get the ballasts to fire up as they will not be getting the degraded current from the headlight switch but the full monte from the battery.

if problems still exist after installing the relay harness you can try increasing all of the headlight fuses controlling HID lights in the panel by 5amps...this is explained in a following post below

2008 SRT8*Silver*CAI*Flowmaster*180 tstat*Catch Can*Comp Cams 273*8000k HIDs HI/LOW/FOG*all LED interior*Custom audio*ToonaTooned!!! Paramount Trans!!!

Last edited by jptaylor2; 10-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Supporting Vendor
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaylor2 View Post
agree with bennett15 110%.......you need to run the relay harness AND increase all of the headlight fuses in the panel by 5amps

most guys that have this issue find that the relay harness solves all their issues
I have never increased the fuse size when installing HIDs.
Web: sf10caravan.com

2012 300SRT--Mods so far....CMR tune from Toona, tinted taillights, Kooks LTs and high flow cats, soon to be released catback, Mopar lowering springs, HIDs in the driving lights, tinted windows, LMI true CAI, and a bunch of BT bling.
ng.

Powered by PWR Tooned by Johan Blinged by Billet Technologies
Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaz View Post
I have never increased the fuse size when installing HIDs.
im going to modify my original response ekaz

most have not and typically i do not agreee with increasing fuse amperage over what the mfg originally installed, however, the reasoning i got behind this was from a very respected tech at a very respected company that deals soley with automotive electronics and seems to make sense and be sound....here is what i got in a nut shell

several years ago when the hid craze hit and it became affordable there were NUMEROUS issues with lights that would not come on unless you turned the lights on/off/on...this was due to the fact that the ballasts require a significant "surge" of current to light off when cold...by rolling the switch on/off/on the initial on cycle basically "primed" the ballast for light off and the second cycle would be able to sustain ignition. this is where the increase the amperage rating by 5amps came in...he said that by increasing the flow capability of the fuse by just 5amps that more times than not it would allow enough of that needed initial surge through to not only light off the ballasts but also to sustain the ignition...made sense to me...when i asked about the added strain on the OE system he went on to say that the amp draw of the ballast was actually less than that of the standard incandescent headlight bulb so that was not an issue and also that the needed "surge" was only a fraction of a second in nature, once the surge was allowed to flow to the ballast the amperage need fell back off to less than the OE amp load. this made sense to me as well

with that being said, by far the best way to address the HID issues in our jeeps(either hi or lo beam) is to do the install with a relay harness so you remove the factory wiring/circuit load from the equation all together, but the fuse replacement can be performed if problems still exist.

Last edited by jptaylor2; 10-22-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Supporting Vendor
Lifetime Premium Member

Use a relay kit and do it right the first time. I see the logic behind what you were told and makes sense if plugging directly into the factory harness.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Supporting Vendor

wow... old thread!
You have to use a relay harness when upgrading the low beams on the WK to HID to avoid any flickering issues. That is why whenever Cherokeesrt8 members use coupon code "CSRT8" when purchasing an HID kit we automatically include a relay harness!!

Steve

CherokeeSRT8 SUPER SALE is on now!! - SAVE $$$

Authorized Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Parts & Accessories Vendor - SHOP WITH CONFIDENCE
Old 10-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Supporting Vendor

Yes, relay harness is a must......which makes increasing the factory fuse size pointless. With a relay you are simply using the factory wiring as a trigger and power is coming directly off the battery.

The Xtreme Digital kits from Steve are very nice......that's all that I sell and install with our painted headlights and for fogs.
Challenger Hood-Flat Black Wheels-Tinted LED Tails/etc-Kicker-Eibach/RM-Bwoody Links-90mm TB-P&P Intake Manifold-ProCharger D1SC-PPP Pro Series Stage 1 Cam-PSI Springs-American Racing Headers-Mopar Exhaust-5" Tips-JerseyBoy CMR Tune-Trinity w/AFR-80lb Injectors-Fore Rails-Wilwoods-SHR Trans-FTI Performance Convertor-ATI Flexplate-Stage6 Dual Pumps-BT CC & Underhood-R1 Cryo'd Rotors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.