JUST a HEADS UP....(Rack and Pinion issue) - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM
GOING TWIN SNAIL STATUS
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nyjoed
any update here? i get a popping at low low speeds also when turning my wheel all the way left and all the way right??? got allot of crap going on right now with my rig grrrrr!!!

*FIRST JEEP RUNNING F1-A PROCHARGER W/ WASTEGATE ON STOCK BLOCK*
BROUGHT TO YOU BY DEMON PERFORMANCE AND TRUESTREET PEROFRMACE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjoed View Post
any update here? i get a popping at low low speeds also when turning my wheel all the way left and all the way right??? got allot of crap going on right now with my rig grrrrr!!!
I've got the same thing, I found out that the sway bar had some movement marks on it and was sliding back and forth about a half an inch. Checked my end links and verified that they are installed properly. Might wanna check this first.
Anyone have any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2009 Brilliant Black
The Following User Says Thank You to centxsrt8 For This Useful Post:
nyjoed (12-21-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Bump any more info??

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM

i think that my rack and pinion could be going bad. Had some popping the other day going up a slight incline and turning left. Popped during the turn (loud, i stopped it was so loud) kept on trucking and hasnt made it again. Think this is my problem too (rack and pinion) ?
Old 12-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
Did they tell you exactly what in the rack is causing the popping noise?

I've never heard of a rack causing a pop noise
Old 12-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Moderator/ Smart Ass
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,132 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheldonCooper View Post
Did they tell you exactly what in the rack is causing the popping noise?

I've never heard of a rack causing a pop noise
This thread is 4yrs old and Veyron hasn't posted in forever so you will probably never get an answer
Chad (06 Inferno Red GC SRT8) PWR 6.3L, PWR Apache Heads, Stage6 76 mm Turbo, Stage6 Fuel Pump, SHR NAG1-HTCr, PI 2400 TQ Converter, ATI Flex Plate, BC Coil Overs, Wilwood TC6R calipers, Kooks Headers, Mopar exhaust, MM 85mm T-body, Jerseyboy CMR, Bwoody Sway Links, R1 Concepts F Slot & Dimp, R StopTech Pads, Earls Trans Cooler, TLS Rear Fog Harness
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Well unluckily (or luckily for you guys) my rig is in the shop for this exact reason. Here's my symptom:

I'm leaving the parking garage at my university (2nd to top level away from everyone but still covered), I turn all the way right as I go down and as soon as I start turning left to recenter, I get a LOUD pop. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger front wheel.

Now imagine this happening twice on every level starting on level 5... I was praying & scared by the time I got out of that garage. Called the dealer, they told me to bring it in as soon as possible, and now it's sitting there (covered under warranty).

I also took it in for an oil change and clunking when shifting gears. The guy called me back saying my rear diff is basically screwed for the clunking and he was about to take it out again to find the pop noise. He told me that if he couldn't get the noise, he'd call me back. If he did, then he'll call when he gets it figured out. Well, I never got a call so I'm assuming they heard it & are now taking everything apart to find out what's up with it.

I'll let yall know what they say. Also, this stealership knows their stuff, I trust 'em.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahson View Post
Well unluckily (or luckily for you guys) my rig is in the shop for this exact reason. Here's my symptom:

I'm leaving the parking garage at my university (2nd to top level away from everyone but still covered), I turn all the way right as I go down and as soon as I start turning left to recenter, I get a LOUD pop. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger front wheel.

Now imagine this happening twice on every level starting on level 5... I was praying & scared by the time I got out of that garage. Called the dealer, they told me to bring it in as soon as possible, and now it's sitting there (covered under warranty).

I also took it in for an oil change and clunking when shifting gears. The guy called me back saying my rear diff is basically screwed for the clunking and he was about to take it out again to find the pop noise. He told me that if he couldn't get the noise, he'd call me back. If he did, then he'll call when he gets it figured out. Well, I never got a call so I'm assuming they heard it & are now taking everything apart to find out what's up with it.

I'll let yall know what they say. Also, this stealership knows their stuff, I trust 'em.
Thanks man, good luck getting the jeep back soon and hopefully dealership covers everything.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-05-2013, 03:56 PM

I'm having a similar issue. I just replaced my Tcase for the second time in exactly 1 year along with a new battery and alternator. When turning at low speed the steering get real tight and the front wheels almost lock up. There is also a growling sound. One time it happened just before a drive-thru. After I placed my order I was waiting in line with the front wheels still turned to the left. All the sudden I felt a drop and heard a loud pop. Like the car fell off a curb or something. This has happened a few times since, the drop and pop but almost every day with the stiff turning and growling, but it only happens intermittently. When it first happened I turned right around and drove to the dealership(only a few miles away) who did the Tcase. The heavy line tech that made the replacement went on an extensive ride along with me and nothing.. I'm concerned this may be something serious but if I can't replicate it they can't fix it. Some guys in my club suggested it may be a defective Tcase or possibly a bad front differential? One guy said "If you haven't changed out the gear oil in the diffrential or it's just low it can cause the ring and pinion gears to bind up once they get hot and that wiil impact your steering and gas pedal by causing the power steering pump to cause issues by telling the computers it needs more juice to turn the steering and you'll feel it in the gas pedal. Just had the same kind of issues in my jeep, the rear end gear oil was fried and it made my limited slip chatters and make weird noises." I don't know, sounds like it could be a rack and pinion issue now that I read this thread.

2007 Black SRT

Show: DC Customs Paint matched Dual HID Projectors, interior/exterior LEDs, stubby antenna, Red BT under the hood package & Catch Can, Black BT door locks - BT SRT 12V covers, SRT grille badge, Pioneer AVIC Z140BH stereo.

Go: K&N 63 Series CAI, R1 Concepts cross drilled/slotted rotors, Magnaflow CatBack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.