JUST a HEADS UP....(Rack and Pinion issue) - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

JUST a HEADS UP....(Rack and Pinion issue)

i notices a popping coming from my from end upon putting the sway bar links on a bit ago...at the time i didn't think too much of it, thinking it might have been something to do with the links being new and needing to be broken in a bit, however as time progressed so did the symptoms...progressively getting worse to the point the popping became annoying. brought the jeep in to the stealership (had major seperation anxiety while it was away) after having my guy look into it and making sure everything was tight....my guy proposed it was the rack and pinion on the driver's side. Upon further incvestigation at the stealership, this was confirmed. Rack and Pinion gone bad at 31K miles on my 07'. they said 7-10 days for the part to be delivered (seems like a bit of time). You guys may want to keep your eyes peeled on this part around this mileage as 7-10 days to get the part seems like a while and may suggest there are a few of these rack and pinions going out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Are you saying the BWoody links contributed to the rack and pinion going bad?
If so, that's pretty odd.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Bang View Post
Are you saying the BWoody links contributed to the rack and pinion going bad?
If so, that's pretty odd.
not saying that, however there could be a slight possibility even tho i highly doubt it since that just doesnt seem possible....more of just a heads up in general for anyone that may start experiencing this popping...because it failed so soon and there is a long wait to get the part, this could be indication that there are others experiencing this as well...(recall???)
Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Miss Understood

Send a message via AIM to Vinnysrt8
That is good to know i should go check.
01 BATBOAT BLOWN 1100HP 121MPH
04 KFX700
07 Jeep SRT8 Black BLOWN AND KICKING ASS 11.4 at 116mph
10 SS/RS Camaro 12.9 inferno orange
13 Jeep Grand Cherokee DD
Old 11-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Matt McKenzie
Popping???? Is this different from the clunking that some of us got after lowering our Jeeps??? Hope it gets taken care of without issue Roger!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

....just thought i'd keep you guys updated. brought the jeep in since the rack and pinion had arrived...they could not complete the install the following day due to needing another part that they had thought was included with the rack and wasn't. the next day, i give them a call around 5 and ask if it is ready as they said it would be...come to find out the new rack and pinion they got was "defective" and happened to exibit the exact symptoms as my original. so now i have to wait another week for another rack and pinion....is it me or does everything take a second, or third, or fourth,time to get it right nowadays?
on a second note, had asked the techs to check out some seals/gaskets that i had noticed leaking a lil and not looking so good when i was under the jeep swapping O2's. end result, they tell me the trans cup plug, rear main oil seal, the water pump and hoses along with the gasket needs to be replaced...hmm i see the list of parts totaling 300 and yet he is sitting there quoting me 1600, just crazy. obviously my warranty is not valid for this, but good for my steering. told them i'd go elsewhere for the "leaks" issue. friggin stealerships mayn...if they weren't so convenient (location: like a block away from my work) i'd never go, well that and whatever remains of my warranty.

Last edited by veyronSRT8@TTCreations; 11-26-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Elite Contributing Member

The only popping noise i hear is when braking right when I'm about to stop
2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS (on way)
Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

well i hate to break the news on this guys, but figured i'd re-warn ya since my third rack and pinion is goin out (and it has been less than a month, for all three to go bad!) As you may have read, my original rack and pinion started poppin and all (at 32000) bring it in for a new one under warranty, it's defective. they send me on my way with the defective rack and pinion that pops like the original did and told me they would call when another rack came in. second attempt, the rack comes in and as they are installing it they call and tell me there is something needing to be replaced in my steering column...(scratchin my head at this point and also regretting going to this dealership)...they have to order that part....meanwhile the jeep is in the shop over the weekend. they get the parts in and finally complete the job...two days later and i hear the popping all over again. looks like another defective rack and pinion...don't think i'll be going back to that stealership anytime soon.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

I've got some intermittent, loud popping coming from underneath my Jeep while turning sharply during very low speed driving, such as backing out of parking spots. How much did the rack and pinion set you back?
11.30 @ 121
558WHP - 720WTQ

Last edited by Grip Grip; 12-12-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Grip View Post
I've got some intermittent, loud popping coming from underneath my Jeep while turning sharply during very low speed driving, such as backing out of parking spots. How much did the rack and pinion set you back?
rack and pinion is still covered under my warranty, but i think parts cost is something around 500 and change...god knows how much labor would be..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.